Maria's tatoo. (Spoilers)

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

whiter4bbit
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by whiter4bbit »

Maria is some kind of an image of what James would like Mary to be; she's "born from a wish", as her sidestory says in the title. During the game, she's killed three times to remind James of his killing. She suffers a hangover in the hospital, and seems a little sick, due to her relationship with Mary, who was actually ill.
All the blood in the cell doesn't make me think of a non-violent death, like a headache death should be... but well, I'll look around the board to find out this theory as well.
[img]http://img422.imageshack.us/img422/7426/room312sig5qn.jpg[/img]

[size=75][b]Along with you died joy.
All that remains is despair and a future of meaningless tomorrows.[/b][/size]
December Man
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by December Man »

Why the tatoo?
Answer(from The Making of): This butterfly is to draw attention to her tummy.

Tadaaaa!
[img]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5149/smallershsig8jd.jpg[/img]
whiter4bbit
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by whiter4bbit »

That doesn't explain why a butterfly as a tatoo. Every kind of drawing or writing would have caught attention to that zone.

ValtielInvoked
Just Passing Through

Post by ValtielInvoked »

I'm unable to glimpse a scar when I look at that....from any angle.
Just seems like a regular butterfly tattoo.
I reject your reality and substitute my own :]
[img]http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6540/vat1psdjf6.jpg[/img]
whiter4bbit
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by whiter4bbit »

Yes, the picture I posted shows that even in the cell Maria's tatoo is just her usual tatoo. Shalott expressed a doubt, not a certainty, and we've cleared that out :)

Shalott
Just Passing Through

Post by Shalott »

Yes, thanks for clearing that up ;)
Suil a ruin...
B5160-R
Historical Society Historian

Post by B5160-R »

We have already been over the butterfly tattoo thing. Search the forum and you shall find.

Butterfly = Maria + Room 202 in the Blue Creek Apartments -- (dead butterfly) = you do the math.
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I think they wanted to show her tummy to reveal she wasn't perfect as well. In the making of video, the designers said they gave her a little roll of fat, or as I like to call it, a jelly roll, lol.
Try being me and play this game. I love butterflies and I have giant butterflies hanging from my ceiling, as well as 2 butterfly windchimes! My bedroom is a giant metaphorical representation of Maria, lol.
But back to Maria, I agree with whoever said that butterflies represent change and rebirth, and it could also represent souls getting a message to a person or granting a wish. I found this beautiful story from an Indian belief I believe, that if you whisper your wish to a butterfly, it would fly to a great spirit and grant your wish. If I find it, I will post a link to it, but right now, I was just beckoned to eat some meatloaf!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The Japanese believe that butterflies carry the souls of the recently departed, and Mary's only been dead for a few days.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Hjartu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Hjartu »

AuraTwilight wrote:The Japanese believe that butterflies carry the souls of the recently departed, and Mary's only been dead for a few days.
That's... a very interesting point.
Also sort of supports why Maria has some of Mary's memory- or, in essence, her soul.
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/hjartu/junjisig.jpg[/img]
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

Question - How do you think Maria died in her cell. The 1st/3rd times she died she was speared but I'm not sure of the 2nd:

It looks like she was just speared in the back again, but it just didn't come out on the oher side. Also looks like she has smacked in the face at least once
"The Body Is Cold?"
December Man
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by December Man »

AuraTwilight wrote:The Japanese believe that butterflies carry the souls of the recently departed, and Mary's only been dead for a few days.
Well, that sums it all up.
[img]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5149/smallershsig8jd.jpg[/img]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Also looks like she has smacked in the face at least once
That's probably because she wouldn't shut up. Do you think Pyramid Head likes doing this? When the police come, tell them he's asleep under the front porch with his dog, Skeeter.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Skeeter? LMAO. I would think a Pyramid Head would have a dog named Killer or at the very least Spike, but I like the Skeeter idea, rotflmao.
ghoul_drool
Just Passing Through

Post by ghoul_drool »

I think the Mayans also believe that butterflies are the deceased in disguise.
Sophia: Jealousy is a very ugly thing Dorothy..and so are you in anything backless
Hjartu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Hjartu »

AgentX7k wrote:Also looks like she has smacked in the face at least once
I'm telling you, those pillows hit really hard.
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/hjartu/junjisig.jpg[/img]
Watchdog

Post by Watchdog »

I hate to be repeating what we've all heard so many times, but Maria appears to have been suffocated - smothered in the same way Mary was. Legend has it that in real cases of smothering, panic and stress causes blood vessels in the face area, particularly the eyes and nose, to rupture, which explains most of the bleeding.
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

I suppose that explains her face, and it's a great tie in to Mary's death, but there so much blood under her back. I don't think suffocating could have done that
"The Body Is Cold?"
Watchdog

Post by Watchdog »

Apparently, something about the smothering did cause that, but I'm only repeating what I've heard. Or it could be because she got stabbed earlier on. I really couldn't explain it for you.

All I can say is, I wish people would turn the sodding noise filter off when they're taking screenshots.
overachiever547
Gravedigger

Post by overachiever547 »

IMHO, The way I've always viewed the butterfly/moth is like this:

Along with the whole butterfly representing rebirth thing the others have pointed out, I like to think of the butterfly as representing Mary (in Room 202 of the apartments, dead butterflies are on the bed) (butterflies are very vulnerable creatures and are easy to kill) and the moth representing Maria (a sort of darker side of the butterfly which are alive in room 202). The darker moths follow you in the room like Maria follows you in the game. I'm not sure if I remember this right, but I think at one point the moths make James swat them away like the Maria moths at the end of the game, but without doing damage.

They're continually reminding him, bothering him. Just like Maria.

I think that the butterfly tattoo on Maria is sort of part of the illusion that she's Mary. Who knows, Mary could have gotten wild one night and stopped by a tattoo parlor for a good (painful) time. We'll never know, as Mary never shucks off that pink sweater.
Hurm...