How did James get the letter in the first place?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Numboy
Gravedigger

Post by Numboy »

I think that he was so mind-fucked that she just had a piece of paper and he said it was mary's letter.. and after he killed the demon-mary and maria gives him the real letter he is "forgiven" for his sins and he doesnt imagine things anymore...
[img]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6431/sigop2rt1.gif[/img]
Thanks to HammeringInMyHead for Re-Master this Sig... Awesome..
dan abnormal
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by dan abnormal »

Numboy wrote:I think that he was so mind-fucked that she just had a piece of paper and he said it was mary's letter.. and after he killed the demon-mary and maria gives him the real letter he is "forgiven" for his sins and he doesnt imagine things anymore...
I'd have to agree with Numboy on this particular topic.
Numboy
Gravedigger

Post by Numboy »

:lol: Thanks :lol:
[img]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6431/sigop2rt1.gif[/img]
Thanks to HammeringInMyHead for Re-Master this Sig... Awesome..
dan abnormal
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by dan abnormal »

Well it does make the most sense to me compared to all the other theories involved within this topic.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

lOOK AT YOUR LETTER IN THE HOTEL. If i'm correct it slowly fades away but it might just instantly dissapear after you watch the vhs. The letter isn't real. There's various explanations for how he could know only the first part maybe he walked in whle Mary was writing it and she was reading allowed. The subconscious mind could do that. ALso if that don't work for you this town has the power to create monsters alternate worlds and various other things. I'm sure it can make a letter to call it next victim.
Glazarus
Historical Society Historian

Post by Glazarus »

He read it after he killed her, but in so, he had a mental breakdown while reading.
After 1 or 2 pages his mind got mixed up and he started to fabricate reality. Her strong love for him made him remember his love and the good times, filtering everything else out.

It's a perfect explaination for both the letter and his supressed memories.
All other ways of knowing the content of the letter feels rather nonrelated to the story being told.

But then again, there might not be a full letter anyway... he gets the full letter from Mary in the end, but that isn't Mary, it's just a "projection". So the full letter might just be a "letter from the dead", not something that necessarily exists in physical form.
But now I'm talking rather dumb... the nature of the letter is so related to the reality of her time at the hospital and the nature of it speaks for a letter that exist.
So, I think he got his hands on it right after the killing. It fits his psychology.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZO3_UaUJs&fmt=22][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4855/psalm21banner.jpg[/img][/url]
Rhen2002
Just Passing Through

Post by Rhen2002 »

My theory...

Both James and Laura were given letters from Mary, which was intended to be given to them by Rachel. Laura got it by taking it from Rachel's locker (how did that happen?), and James was given the real letter from Mary at the end of SH2. I think he read the real letter in the real world, but he remembered/discovered the truth when she gave the letter to him at the end. A metaphor for remembering, since you can't really be sure it was her (already dead).
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

Rhen2002 wrote:My theory...

Both James and Laura were given letters from Mary, which was intended to be given to them by Rachel. Laura got it by taking it from Rachel's locker (how did that happen?), and James was given the real letter from Mary at the end of SH2. I think he read the real letter in the real world, but he remembered/discovered the truth when she gave the letter to him at the end. A metaphor for remembering, since you can't really be sure it was her (already dead).
No logic... if Rachel was to give both of them letters, how come James have the letter before killing Mary? If it was up to Rachel, then Mary would clearly have meant for it to be shown after her death. In terms of psychology and logic in character, it's more likley that the real letter was found by James after he killed Mary. It was the ignition for his breakdown, which led to his lost memories and twisted self.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZO3_UaUJs&fmt=22][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4855/psalm21banner.jpg[/img][/url]
Rhen2002
Just Passing Through

Post by Rhen2002 »

He had it before he killed Mary? Never said that, and I never heard that mentioned in the game...

Also didn't say Rachel gave them the letter, just she was intended to. Since both letters say that Mary gave it to the nurse to give to them.

I just said that James got it AFTER he killed her, and the letter given to him at the end of SH2 was a metaphor for remembering what it said. He didn't remember all the letter, just like he didn't remember killing Mary.
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

Still no logic... he couldn't have gotten the letter after he killed her, because the game starts after the killing. It's in the same day/evening or whatever time of day it is. If we are to go with St. Thomas theory about Mary staying at Brookhaven, it's no logic in him getting the letter after, because there is no time to get it and James can't possibly know about the letter back in Ashfield when Mary is dead.
Mary had the letter with her and that's how he found it.

The mental breakdown occured when he read the letter, hence giving birth to the memory lost.

It would take more time if he got it from Rachel. It would suggest that he killed Mary, doctors thought it was because her illness and after some days back home in Ashfield, he get the letter from Rachel.

Now, the nature of the letter looks more like her time in Brookhaven, making it logic for her to have the letter with her and then give to Rachel. If James killed her before she gave it to Rachel, he would have found the letter instead.
Rhen2002
Just Passing Through

Post by Rhen2002 »

There is no logic either in thinking Mary stayed in Brookhaven, but then again we all like to put what we think into theories.

Well fine, whatever. I'm just stupid for this, sorry for even talking about it.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>There is no logic either in thinking Mary stayed in Brookhaven
Sure, if you don't pay any attention. . . .
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Except she actually did stay in Brookhaven. O_o It's where she met Laura.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Rhen2002
Just Passing Through

Post by Rhen2002 »

It didn't say anywhere that she was in Brookhaven that I recall, so yeah.

Where does it state she was ever in Brookhaven?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'm sure it's somewhere. Or I could be remembering wrong. Gosh, I haven't played the game in like three years.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Rhen2002
Just Passing Through

Post by Rhen2002 »

They say "hospital", and James finds Laura in Brookhaven, but I don't ever recall anywhere being stated that was where Mary is at.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

There's a topic I made called "Mary stayed at Brookhaven Hospital." It's at the top of the Quicklinks thread on this very page. Go read it: I expatiate what you should know.

Laconically: Mary stayed at Brookhaven Hospital.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Rhen2002
Just Passing Through

Post by Rhen2002 »

I take it all the misquotes in that was just the original text in the Japanese version?

Well, it makes sense, albeit a lot of assumptions. I always thought the sentence in her letter to Laura was a metaphor for death, not Silent Hill.

I'm done with this thread, though. Every time I come here I get responses that seem to patronize me, and its not worth it.

Well, then, sorry for pissing people off with my posts and nonsense. Won't happen again.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Nothing's "misquoted" in my explanation.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Evil_Someone
Just Passing Through

Post by Evil_Someone »

the letter doesnt exist and james has gone nutz it is all in his head :mrgreen:
Silence, don't speak or you'll be taken to Hill Of Death

[spoiler]you will kill Eddie[/spoiler]
You deserve to die too James!!!!!!!!!