How did James get the letter in the first place?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Falsch. The letter exists: didn't you listen to the endings where Mary reads it to you...?
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Numboy
Gravedigger

Post by Numboy »

I know. like i said maybe in the begining he just got a piece of paper. and at the end had the REAL letter...
[img]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6431/sigop2rt1.gif[/img]
Thanks to HammeringInMyHead for Re-Master this Sig... Awesome..
F

Post by F »

That's correct. The events occur in the following way: James kills Mary > James picks up a blank piece of paper > James puts Mary in the trunk and drives to Silent Hill.

As to the ensuing question that might happen after what I've stated: James did have Mary's body in his posession (ergo In Water and Rebirth endings). So you put two and two together and think of a place where James could have Mary's body.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

James didn't even have a blank piece of paper. That dissapears too.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Numboy
Gravedigger

Post by Numboy »

We are talking about the blank piece of paper that james has in the begining of the game the one that says she is in "their special place" so. The blank piece of paper (known as the letter of mary) DOES exist it may dissapear but thats afterwards...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No, it dissapears because it was conjured from his mind. The letter he brought with him was either entirely real or entirely not, and we can safely say it's not real.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Numboy
Gravedigger

Post by Numboy »

I know its not real. just a piece of white paper...
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The paper disappears too. . . . You're missing the point entirely.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Numboy
Gravedigger

Post by Numboy »

Disappears at the end of the game, right?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Dissapears after you read the video. Even the piece of paper the letter is on is a product of James' mind. It's entirely fabricated in his mind. He's not holding ANYTHING.
Numboy
Gravedigger

Post by Numboy »

Oh crap. I thought that you were talking about the first letter. so, ALL SH is a creation of James...
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

No. Please read through the thread & forums.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
evilinthishouse
Just Passing Through

Post by evilinthishouse »

The letter James receives in the beginning isn't even written on paper?
It disappears completely, including the paper after you watch the tape??
Um, that didn't really happen when I played the UK version of the game, the PAPER is still there but the WORDS disappear...
I can still access the paper from my inventory even until the final battle...
[img]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u68/DreamaSkylar/GINH.gif[/img]
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

The game doesn't entirely explain this. I never saw the letter disappear, but I can only conclude in:

1-The letter was entirely created by his imagination, due to his emotional state of mind.
2-The letter was an illusion created by Silent Hill as bait to lure James to come to Silent Hill. We've already witnessed that Silent Hill can reach out to people which currently aren't in the town itself. But that have some connection to it.

I like to believe and choose the second theory, in my opinion it sounds correct and adds more credibility to the plot. The reason all of the stories witnessed in all 4 games are connected to eachother is because of this special town, it has some yet unexplained powers and plays the fate of each of the characters drawn to it's "limbo" or "otherworld" for punnishment and discovery.
Silent Hill itself has become a character to us gamers, some of the characters meet eachother and therefore have more common stories, but they are all there because Silent Hill called their names and because they are imprissoned there till they discover more about themselves or their lives.
If we keep explain everything that happened in SH2 by saying it was all in his mind there wouldn't be any room for the cursed or holy Silent hill, it would just be a random town which Mary just happened to fall in love with, and the entire story would be just fictive creation made by his mind.

At least that's what I opine

This could also be a point of view, depending on which ending you believe in though. In my opinion "In Water" is the best suiting ending for SH2 as it makes more sense than the rest, and the most notable emotional impact.

All my theories aren't bulletproof either, I still have two major questions that bug the hell out of me.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I used to believe that the letter which Mary reads at the end is the actual letter he gets at the start of the game, or an extension.
I wonder if James ever got the last letter, I never saw him get it atleast.

I also still wonder if the conversation he has with Mary at the end of the game is real, if James actually got one last chance to talk with Mary herself or her spirit or if it also is another illusion... So beaitifull and at the same time horrible.
:wink:
shayne123
Just Passing Through

Post by shayne123 »

I don't really know either,cause I wasn't paying attention to the cutscenes and whatnots...but when I watched a Silent Hill 2 Parody,called Silent Hill 2:Noisy Hill part 19 at Youtube,when Mary was reading a letter...(sometimes some parodies includes true info. in the games,as it is in other parodies)and she said that she gave the letter to an unknown nurse...I guess that true.When I asked my cousin how did James get the letter,he said a nurse gave it...so yeah.But sometimes he lies...
Confrontation can draw to Conclusion...in a way or another.
torms
Just Passing Through

Post by torms »

Here I go again resurrecting old threads :p

Not sure why this is so confusing to some people...here's how I think the story went...

OK, there are three letters, two of which were written by Mary herself and the last is a figment of James imagination. The two real ones were addressed to Laura and the other to James. The one that was meant for Laura was given to the nurse (ie. Rachel) which later on Larua stolen out of Rachel's possession.

As for the letter addressed to James, Mary written it in Silent Hill, probably at the park by the lake where James said at the beginning it was their special place where they spend the entire day there together, and intended to give it to Rachel as well but knowing how James didn't visit her at the hospital often and may not even go back to there after she passes away, Mary kept the letter on her when she went home (maybe she thought she can give it to someone else to safe guard it or just tell James not to open it till she passes away).

But before Mary could give the letter to anybody, James murdered Mary and he discovered the letter, reads it and goes into his delusional state and blocks out what has happened in the pass three years. In his state, James creates an imaginary letter which only content the first couple of lines in Mary's letter telling him that she was waiting for him at Silent Hill, at their special place.
Prinny
Just Passing Through

Post by Prinny »

torms wrote:But before Mary could give the letter to anybody, James murdered Mary and he discovered the letter, reads it and goes into his delusional state and blocks out what has happened in the pass three years. In his state, James creates an imaginary letter which only content the first couple of lines in Mary's letter telling him that she was waiting for him at Silent Hill, at their special place.
Didn't Laura have the original letter to James to begin with though? I'm pretty sure in the Lakeview Hotel piano room she said she had two letters.
Numboy
Gravedigger

Post by Numboy »

Two letters:

1. the one that Mary wrote for Laura
2. the one that Mary wrote for James. the REAL one..
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>probably at the park by the lake
Nope. It was written in Brookhaven Hospital, in room C2, where she was briefly hospitalized, staring up at the "cracks in the ceiling."

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
evilinthishouse
Just Passing Through

Post by evilinthishouse »

Prinny wrote:
torms wrote:But before Mary could give the letter to anybody, James murdered Mary and he discovered the letter, reads it and goes into his delusional state and blocks out what has happened in the pass three years. In his state, James creates an imaginary letter which only content the first couple of lines in Mary's letter telling him that she was waiting for him at Silent Hill, at their special place.
Didn't Laura have the original letter to James to begin with though? I'm pretty sure in the Lakeview Hotel piano room she said she had two letters.

Yes, Laura says in the hotel that she has two letters. Torms still hasn't explained how Laura has James's REAL letter from Mary, if Mary had it the whole time in her possession.
[img]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u68/DreamaSkylar/GINH.gif[/img]