Where did mary die? (spoilers in thread, not title)

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

overdosexdelusion
Just Passing Through

Re: Where did mary die? (spoilers in thread, not title)

Post by overdosexdelusion »

helldescent wrote:Overdoseexdelusion:
Wrong thread.
How is it the wrong thread? Look at the subject, gee.

If you need me to clarify, I was pointing out that Mary couldn't have died/been killed in her bedroom, as her bedroom doesn't look like the place where she was killed.
Your father never told you but you are named after a drug.
Don, Aman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Don, Aman »

Personally, I agree with the opinion that she's either in the trunk or the back seat (when you get the map at the beginning, it only shows the front seat). As far as the location of her death, I had always assumed it was a location fairly close to Silent Hill, being that her death was so recent ("...I turned eight last week..."). If they vacationed in Silent Hill, that to me says they lived far enough away as to make it a bit silly for James to drive all the way to Brookhaven to pick Mary up, then all the way back home to kill her, then back to Silent Hill for the events of the game. However, the honeymoon pictures on the wall do throw that into question.
Don stepped outside... It feels good to be alone... He wished he was drunk...
overdosexdelusion
Just Passing Through

Don, Aman wrote:the honeymoon pictures on the wall do throw that into question.
They aren't visible during the actual DYING part, just at the ending chat sequence! :x
Don, Aman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Don, Aman »

Good point. I suppose they could also have been a projection of his distorted memories.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I've been in hotels before and put pictures of my own up.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Don, Aman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Don, Aman »

The image of James getting a hotel room and putting up all of their favorites photos before the deed was done resonates well with me, actually. It sounds like the sort of thing he would do before killing his wife.
Last edited by Don, Aman on 29 Jul 2016, edited 1 time in total.
overdosexdelusion
Just Passing Through

I can't tell whether you're kidding or not.

The thing that disturbs me the most is that the bed in which she was killed is at the other end of the room than the one at the end of the game. Still.
SHF
Historical Society Historian

Post by SHF »

overdosexdelusion wrote:
helldescent wrote:Overdoseexdelusion:
Wrong thread.
How is it the wrong thread? Look at the subject, gee.

If you need me to clarify, I was pointing out that Mary couldn't have died/been killed in her bedroom, as her bedroom doesn't look like the place where she was killed.
I apologize. I thought there was another thread about this.

You mean when James is talking to Mary in the same white bed?
It's the same bed she was killed in, the reason why she is facing the other way, is because she is just a memory. ( or a ghost if you will)
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The Adversary wrote:I've been in hotels before and put pictures of my own up.
Wierdo. Shuuuuun.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Don, Aman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Don, Aman »

overdosexdelusion wrote:I can't tell whether you're kidding or not.
Sorry, just saw that. No, not kidding. I think a lot of what James considers to be his accurate memories can be explained by him manifesting his own distorted version of reality. Thanks to the "powers" at work in the town, that is.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

According to Masahiro Ito in a recent tweet, Mary's body is not in the trunk of James' car, but rather in the back seat.

"The Mary's body is on the back seat of James's car, not in the trunk, if I remember correctly."

Granted, he finishes with "if I remember correctly," so perhaps it really is just a case of his own forgetfulness.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I really hope it is, because we can kind of see into the car and I just can't accept a mental disorder where James doesn't notice a damn corpse sitting in his own vehicle.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I can accept it under the following scenario:

James kills her, decides to see how his Chevy Nova works as a submarine in Lake Toluca, and puts her in the back seat. When he gets there, he goes into the filthy toilet and at that point leaves reality, entering the Otherworld. As the Otherworld is influenced to some extent by what is in his heart and mind, in this layer of reality she is indeed not in the car, which would corroborate the fiction he has invented.

It's not really so bad.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Still, the trunk is just way more elegant, in my opinion. Also, what if he stopped for gas? Or just passed someone on the road? And Corpse Mary is just sitting in the backseat givin' a shocka to people.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I guess he could have laid her down and covered her with something like a blanket. I doubt he'd prop her upright.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^ Well, he left the door of the car wide open...
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>what if he stopped for gas? Or just passed someone on the road?<
Clearly that didn't happen, though. He's clearly not thinking clearly. Clearly.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

The Adversary wrote:According to Masahiro Ito in a recent tweet, Mary's body is not in the trunk of James' car, but rather in the back seat.

"The Mary's body is on the back seat of James's car, not in the trunk, if I remember correctly."

Granted, he finishes with "if I remember correctly," so perhaps it really is just a case of his own forgetfulness.
Would anyone be able to get/find some screen shots or hacks or whatever to show the back seat?
Ryantology wrote:I can accept it under the following scenario:

James kills her, decides to see how his Chevy Nova works as a submarine in Lake Toluca, and puts her in the back seat. When he gets there, he goes into the filthy toilet and at that point leaves reality, entering the Otherworld. As the Otherworld is influenced to some extent by what is in his heart and mind, in this layer of reality she is indeed not in the car, which would corroborate the fiction he has invented.

It's not really so bad.
I like that theory, and if Ito is indeed remembering correctly it could explain why we didn't really see anything in the back seat. Of course, it has been a while since I've played the game, so I don't recall much about the car. Besides that, I never really took too much notice of the back seat...

I guess it would make some sense for James to put Mary in the back seat rather than the boot (or trunk or whatever) simply based on the fact that he loved her. Stuffing her into the boot like any regular dead person just seems kinda impersonal and detached. Of course, putting a dead person in the back seat is obviously a bad idea to us, but I doubt James was thinking straight at the time (obviously).
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

Okay, so I was watching this video of Silent Hill 2, and the camera gets closer up to the car than usual. The rear window is extremely fogged up so you can't see inside well, and it's the old two-door kind of car so the seats would be the style that lean pretty far back and obstruct the rear bench seat a lot, so you couldn't see anything back there very well.

If Jimmy was as out of it as I think, he'd have plopped her in the back all willy-nilly, and considering his mental state I don't think he'd have buckled her in. If he took a sharp corner with her back there, she'd slide over and fall onto the floor of the backseat. That way, no-one on the road would see Mary's worn-out corpse, and since James wouldn't be looking in the backseat for the map he wouldn't see her by accident, either.

So, for the matter of WHERE Mary died, as opposed to where her dead-as-dead-can-be corpse was stuffed, I had assumed it was one of two things: my main assumption was he murdered her at home and drove to Silent Hill.

The other one I've had for a little while now: Mary was a terminal patient, so she had almost zero chance of living through her "damned disease" *hackhackcoughlungcancercoughcough*. So, if she's basically waiting for death to drop on by and pick her up in his pimpin hearse, James wouldn't want her to spend the entire time at a hospital--he'd have her transferred to a Hacienda, one of those cozy rest homes for the old and/or terminal who can't really go home without kicking it, but don't want to die in a hospital. It's a series of cozy, homelike rooms with decorations the patients can bring in, like family photos and personal pillows, but the beds and wallpapers would be the same, and the floorplans might vary a little, so a bed is pointing in a different direction. It'd go a long way to explaining why there are family photos in a cookie-cutter room, and the bed is oriented differently in the Videotape and the Final Conversation.

tl;dr
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I doubt James just sat her upright in the back seat. If anything, he would've covered her in a sheet—re: Rebirth ending and Brookhaven Hospital—before laying her down in the back of the car.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.