Done with SH 2

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

-mimic-
Just Passing Through

Done with SH 2

Post by -mimic- »

Another great game, but I really don't see how its so much better then the other games in the series.

Maybe I would have felt that, if I went from Sh1 to SH2. Im guessing SH 2 was a huge leap from SH1 on the ps1.

But I still really enjoyed it. Pyramid Head was pretty freaky. Really loved the noise of his big knife when he walked :D

Got the leave ending. And after I was done with the game, I checked out the other endings on you tube.

DOG ENDING! :P

And one question, what was the point of the light bulb in the bar? You coundt take the lamp.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

You can't see to use the key in the door without the light.
Prisonic Fairytale
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Prisonic Fairytale »

The first Silent Hill I played was 4. I think either 3 or 2 was the next. Not sure. Silent Hill 2 isn't my favorite but I can see how it has an atmosphere that none of the other games have quite achieved. And the plot seems to pull peoples' heart-strings, so to speak, a little more then in the other games, making for a more memorable experience.
redpyramid
Just Passing Through

Post by redpyramid »

i agree , the sound , music , storyline , totally big graphics change from sh1! , the controls , and definatly the camera angles all made a huge difference and also the 3D kind of aspect in sh2 that sh1 did not carry was a big carry over :)
sh2 was best and i think personally sh4 was the second best.

:twisted: RedPryamid :twisted:
[color=red][b]User was deactivated for being underage.[/b][/color]
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Your avatar might be a few hundred thousand pixels too big.
Prisonic Fairytale
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Prisonic Fairytale »

alone in the town wrote:Your avatar might be a few hundred thousand pixels too big.
I was going to say something but I don't think it could be said any better then this.
redpyramid
Just Passing Through

Post by redpyramid »

lol soz i changed it :)

:twisted: RedPyramid :twisted:
[color=red][b]User was deactivated for being underage.[/b][/color]
Dallow
Just Passing Through

Post by Dallow »

-mimic- wrote:And one question, what was the point of the light bulb in the bar? You coundt take the lamp.
alone in the town wrote:You can't see to use the key in the door without the light.
That bit has always bugged me. I could see the door perfectly so why not just walk up it and unlock it without using the lamp. And who the hell goes around putting lightbulbs in cans? :?
[img]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1982/dallow.jpg[/img]
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

^^ yeah and another thing, he's able to open all sorts of other doors with keys but he needs a light to see the keyhole? I can open locked doors in the dark, it's called feeling around for it. I get it, i get it, the flashlight doesn't work. Still though, there's a damn jukebox right next to it giving off enough light to see the tacky pictures and stuff on the walls, and to see the damn door. It's not hard, James, use your brain.

And yeah, who puts lightbulbs in cans? So weird!
Only some of my posts are serious.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

The lightbulb in the can was very odd, but it wasn't as bad as some of the stuff in Silent Hill 3... Like finding a pistol plastered in a wall (The plasterer "Oh shit I dropped my Colt .45!"), or the fact that Heather ignores potentially helpful newspapers and tourist information about the town but insists on picking up a walnut, a coat hanger and some tongs.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
liquidus118
Just Passing Through

Post by liquidus118 »

Dallow wrote:
-mimic- wrote:And one question, what was the point of the light bulb in the bar? You coundt take the lamp.
alone in the town wrote:You can't see to use the key in the door without the light.
That bit has always bugged me. I could see the door perfectly so why not just walk up it and unlock it without using the lamp. And who the hell goes around putting lightbulbs in cans? :?
#
Probably the same guy that put keys in them in Shattered Memories. *Gasp* Have we uncovered a Silent Hill conspiracy!?:P
Dallow
Just Passing Through

Post by Dallow »

And what about the wax doll and horseshoe. Am I seriously supposed to believe that melting wax into a rectangular hole, sticking in a horsehoe and waiting for it to set (a process that would take an age, let me tell you) would really be sturdy enough to act as a handle to remove a manhole lid? Those things are heavy, man. Friggin' horseshoe would snap off!

liquidus118 wrote:Probably the same guy that put keys in them in Shattered Memories. *Gasp* Have we uncovered a Silent Hill conspiracy!?:P
Yep, we've exposed a mischievous Silent Hill can cult who go around sticking objects in cans (and sealing them :shock:) to piss off the residents.
[img]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1982/dallow.jpg[/img]
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Done with SH 2

Post by Uyrikeustek »

I think the light bulbs are a way of mocking James' inability to see a gun in a relatively light area. lol
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
lyneea
Just Passing Through

Post by lyneea »

I think the depth of the story was what made SH2 my favourite. Even if you took the horror elements out, you'd still have a cracking good story about a tragic love affair and human nature.
[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/CBminstrel/silent_hill_banner.jpg[/img]
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

The gameplay isn't groundbreaking to say the least, but the detail of the surroundings, it's subtle symbolism always so relevant to the core themes; the wonderful atmosphere being born from those elements and the fitting sound effects and music; the way these things tell the story beautifully without need for much exposition; the fascinating story, themes and motifs; i'm gonna stop now before i start to sound too much like an English teacher but these are a few of my favourite things.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

The gameplay never was groundbreaking... I don't think SH ever had intuitive gameplay until Homecoming, really, but no, that's not what SH2 was about, for SH2 it's the narrative that was groundbreaking.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Mumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by Mumbler »

The story and symbolism, I think, is a lot deeper than most of the other games. The ones revolving around the Order are usually based on Alessa, so all the symbolism just has to do with her and her little girl fears...or Heather and her TEEN PREGNANCY, lol. James' story is so much more complex than that.
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

I totally agree with what you said, Mumbler
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

I'm in agreement with Mumbler, too.

James has such a complex and personal journey. In Silent Hill 1 and 3, you're essentially trying to save the world and the people around you (Cheryl, Cybil, Lisa). In 2, James has nothing to lose but his own life and nothing to gain but a horrible truth. If he fails, the world won't descend into hell in a blaze of horror and suffering, only he and the truth will quietly slip away.
astral
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by astral »

Silent Hill 2 is good, but my favorite will always be the original. It's just so surreal, especially for that time era.
I believe, I believe, I believe