Whispering In Static When 1st Seeing PH

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

AnneMarie
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Whispering In Static When 1st Seeing PH

Post by AnneMarie »

I decided to play SH2 again yesterday and think I may have come across something I hadn't noticed before... although of course it could just be my imagination running away with me again! :P

When James sees Pyramid Head for the first time, glowing red through the bars in the corridor of the Woodside Apartment building, I noticed not just static from the radio but a loop of whispering too. I cranked up the volume and to me it sounds like James saying:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I Killed Mary
It's very subtle but would make sense, imo, because I believe Pyramid Head's role to be the antagonist trying to force James to face up to what had happened, to stop repressing and admit to guilt.

Anyone else heard this? Does it sound like something different to you? ... or do I simply need my hearing tested?! Discuss :D
Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door................ Locked. F*** it.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

In 6 or 7 playtroughs I never heard that. Sorry but this sounds like bullshit. I mean, what I am, deaf? I can't listen to these stuff unless you guys show me proof. Sorry but that's the only way I can believe. Because if I test some stuff on my own that you guys say it simple doesn't happen. . .
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

Yes, i would also like to see evidence of this as it does sound a bit far fetched
^^
AnneMarie

Post by AnneMarie »

I've played through Silent Hill 2 dozens of times now over several years and this is the FIRST time I've noticed it... so I'm not saying it's concrete, which is why I brought it up in a topic - I just want to bring it to attention and see if other people can hear it too. I don't believe for a second it's an easter egg. It's just one of those things that you won't necessarily find if you haven't been looking for it. Cast it aside as bullshit if you want to, but i can't help but wonder if I'm onto something...

And guys: I don't have a clue how to upload sound - I fail at technology! lol
Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door................ Locked. F*** it.
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

Where are the hardly boys when we need them?
Last edited by sumcaker on 20 Dec 2009, edited 1 time in total.
^^
Droo

Post by Droo »

Mephisto wrote:In 6 or 7 playtroughs I never heard that. Sorry but this sounds like bullshit. I mean, what I am, deaf? I can't listen to these stuff unless you guys show me proof. Sorry but that's the only way I can believe. Because if I test some stuff on my own that you guys say it simple doesn't happen. . .
You know, you could try just once to disagree with someone or show skepticism without being a big giant dick about it.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

Droo wrote:
Mephisto wrote:In 6 or 7 playtroughs I never heard that. Sorry but this sounds like bullshit. I mean, what I am, deaf? I can't listen to these stuff unless you guys show me proof. Sorry but that's the only way I can believe. Because if I test some stuff on my own that you guys say it simple doesn't happen. . .
You know, you could try just once to disagree with someone or show skepticism without being a big giant dick about it.
Lol... Mephisto does sound a bit rude, but i dont think it was intentional.

On-topic: pretty interesting... would like to hear some recordings (ps2's fucked up, so cant go and check myself :cry: )
Last edited by Violent Corpse on 20 Dec 2009, edited 2 times in total.
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

Droo wrote:
It was a little bit over the top :)
^^
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Jesus [expletive deleted] Christ, Anne-Marie. I've played [expletive deleted] Silent Hill 2 60+ [expletive deleted] times and I've never heard this before and it's your mother-[expletive deleted] fault for bringing it to my [expletive deleted] attention. [expletive deleted].

I have noticed the sound beneath the static, but I think it's just the sound of the Lying Figure also in the hallways on that floor.

Having just watched the video again (3:50), though, I forgot there weren't any monsters around there—though there could be around the other corner.

An additional sound from the static is present, but I don't think it says anything.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It doesn't sound like that to me. I doubt it, anyway, considering that less than ten minutes ago, we already get "Why did you kill me?" in the static, and at no other time is James' voice purportedly over the radio.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

AuraTwilight wrote: we already get "Why did you kill me?" in the static, and at no other time is James' voice purportedly over the radio.
When is this?
^^
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

It's when you first pick up the radio, before your very first fight against those patient demons or whatever they're called.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>It's when you first pick up the radio, after your very first fight
Fix'd.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

This gives me an excuse to play through SH2... AGAIN!

I remember listening to the radio static at that part though, and, while I didn't have the TV turned up to max with headphones on, I don't recall hearing any whispered voices. Unless I chalked them up to being fragmented bits of radio signal amongst the static, which I thought was normal.

Gonna have to give it another listen sometime to be sure though.
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

Actually, I think the only sound I heard right after the glowing PH scene, was the cracking sound from the clock-puzzle room. (room 208 I guess).
Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

Notice how all this does not happen until you've beaten the game, maybe it's somehow triggered? Then theres the possibilty of static fever... we all have it :)
But yeah! Silent hill has tons of whispering moments that we might not notice. Ill look into it when i get the urge to play silent hill 2.... again...
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

9 years gone and there's still so much to discover in SH 2. This game is a GEM!
geeksicle
Just Passing Through

Post by geeksicle »

I gotta say, I don't hear it. And I'm ridiculously suggestible, generally - I'm the kind of person who'll see faces in everything and usually telling me I'm going to hear something is enough to make me think I've maybe heard it :/
AnneMarie

Post by AnneMarie »

and it's your mother-[expletive deleted] fault for bringing it to my [expletive deleted] attention. [expletive deleted].
Aw I can't help it, Tom. I think I have a habit of being a masochist sometimes :roll:

Anyway, I'm going to try again and hope to get the proof required... though the mic in my phone is unlikely to be sufficient :?
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

I've listened to the noise several times now and I'm not yet decided if it is indeed someone talking, but I can definately hear the part that sounds like that sentence being said.
My supply fell through...