Two staircases, one meaning.

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Two staircases, one meaning.

Post by King Crimson »

After you leave angelas stairecase of fire you are in another staircase. A stairecase of water. [I beleive it is filled with water, correct me if im wrong] I beleive that these staircases represent the end of angela and james journey through silent hill. Shortly after james goes up his staircase, he is forced to face his fears and end this as he states. We can assume that angela ended it as well just by how suicidal she was. Maybe her staircase led to the roof and she flung herself off. We have no way of knowing.

For some reason at that particular moment we can see angelas nightmare. Her fire actually stops you from going up the stairs while she walks right through it. I think the reason why we see her fire at that point in time is because we cant go up that stairecase. Its her staircase and her ending. james cant save her and he knows it. Shit, he can bearly save himself. He has his own staircase and his own problems to deal with.

I would also like to point out that james goes up a very long series of stairs right before the final battle. they actually fall out from under him when he gets to the top. indicating his journey in silent hill is almost over and there is no turning back.
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

Interesting theory. It really makes me think about the two staircases and the meaning behind them.
silenced angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by silenced angel »

Well I noticed the staircase falling down after reaching the top of the... cage?
I thought it was just for preventing you of running away from that room, but this is a deeper thought on the staircase
nanook in heaven...
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

Great theory! Though, can you actually see the staircase fall down? Or is it just gone after you reach the top?
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

Though, can you actually see the staircase fall down? Or is it just gone after you reach the top?
As you walk up parts of it fall off. When you get to the top the whole thing falls below you.
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.
Lostkitsune

Post by Lostkitsune »

Ah, thanks, its been a little while so I can't remember.
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

Ah, thanks, its been a little while so I can't remember.
No problem. I understand this isnt a ground-breaking theory. But it is some good food for thought.
EileenGalvin
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EileenGalvin »

Yeah, that sounds pretty cool. It makes me wonder if Eddie would have ended up there too if James hadn't killed him, and what his staircase might have been like.
[url=http://www.visitsilenthill.com][img]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/vshsignature.gif[/img][/url]
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

^ Probably full of bullies :lol:
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Or maybe pizza. :P

An interesting theory. It's interesting how James relates with water over the course of the game, he is juxtaposed with it so many times. The savepoint in the well, the flooded staircase, the water-damaged rooms, the clues in the showers, the boat on the lake, and the In Water ending. I am not stating that that ending is canon (after all, "Rebirth" features a water-borne James as well), just that there seems to be a sort of symbolism inherent.

Oddly, though, none of the monsters are water-dwelling or aquatic in nature.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Lostkitsune

Post by Lostkitsune »

Oddish wrote:
Oddly, though, none of the monsters are water-dwelling or aquatic in nature.
I didn't even think of the well, good eye, but about the monsters, I find that most, if not all of the monsters in Silent Hill 2 have that...bright watery look to them, I don't know what that could mean really.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

^ All the monsters have this "water bright" effect but the Lying Figures and Mannequins are the ones that shows it the most, also, PH has it on his helmet.. I don't know what this could mean, but I heard somewhere that water could mean depression, deep darkness, hollow... Pretty much like James feels, huh?
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

Water can also symbolize spiritual cleansing.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Mustang
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Mustang »

That's really interesting. I still wonder what happens to angela..........
bsheffield87
Just Passing Through

Post by bsheffield87 »

Just more of Jacob's Ladder's influence on the world of Silent Hill. :)
Fall, fall, fall, to the bottom of Hell,
Pool of blood, sea of fire, and needle mountains.
Fall man to Hell. Fall, fall, demons of Hell are calling you,
Pool of blood, sea of fire, and needle mountains.
Can't you hear the groan of the dead? Fall, fall, the darkness of Hell is boundless,
Pool of blood, sea of fire, and needle mountains. It is the lullaby of Hell.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

True, but remember how the movie ended. There is hope in the fact that Angela ascends the staircase instead of descending it: perhaps she is destined for a happy ending after all, just not in this world.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
diluculo
Just Passing Through

Post by diluculo »

I like the idea of Angela climbing the staircase toward a better ending, yet the flames that engulf it give off a hellish view.

Still awesome, though.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/xx_blink/sig.png[/img]
pepazdepa
Just Passing Through

Post by pepazdepa »

diluculo wrote:I like the idea of Angela climbing the staircase toward a better ending, yet the flames that engulf it give off a hellish view.

Still awesome, though.
The fire in many cultures can be viewed both as hellish and as a cleansening.

For Oddish - very good observation. Never realized James was connected with water so much. By the way does anyone (or is there any topic) how did Eddie get down there into that refrigerator? Did he also go down through the staircase through SH Historical Society. That could be the staircase both for Eddie and James.
diluculo
Just Passing Through

Post by diluculo »

pepazdepa wrote:
The fire in many cultures can be viewed both as hellish and as a cleansening.

For Oddish - very good observation. Never realized James was connected with water so much. By the way does anyone (or is there any topic) how did Eddie get down there into that refrigerator? Did he also go down through the staircase through SH Historical Society. That could be the staircase both for Eddie and James.
I hadn't noticed the rise/descent of both characters before hand, whoa. Very nice.
Angela, dying as she moved upward, toward a 'new beginning', if you will. Eddie, dying in the depths of the Historical Society after breaking down.