How did I get the Leave ending??

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

in_my_memory
Just Passing Through

How did I get the Leave ending??

Post by in_my_memory »

ok folks - just completed SH2 for the 938748923749827349823th time and am wondering how I got the leave ending and not the maria ending:

Things I DID do:
Always walked with Maria and never ran when we were together
Kept her from getting hurt and never bumped into her
Visited her 5 times when she was in the hospital
Checked on her a few times while she was behind bars

Things I DIDN'T do:
Looked at the pic of mary
Read 'mary's' letter
Listen to the headset conversation with the doctor
Listen to Mary in the corridor
Read the diary on the hospital roof

I've had the Maria ending before, so it's not like I'm missing out an anything - just bemused as to how I got the Leave ending. Any thoughts??
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: How did I get the Leave ending??

Post by Video Gamer »

in_my_memory wrote:ok folks - just completed SH2 for the 938748923749827349823th time and am wondering how I got the leave ending and not the maria ending:

Things I DID do:
Always walked with Maria and never ran when we were together
Kept her from getting hurt and never bumped into her
Visited her 5 times when she was in the hospital
Checked on her a few times while she was behind bars

Things I DIDN'T do:
Looked at the pic of mary
Read 'mary's' letter
Listen to the headset conversation with the doctor
Listen to Mary in the corridor
Read the diary on the hospital roof

I've had the Maria ending before, so it's not like I'm missing out an anything - just bemused as to how I got the Leave ending. Any thoughts??
...You keep doing things to get the Maria ending.
You have to examine the picture of Mary and read Mary's letter a few times, or at least once. You also need to treat Maria like you don't care very much about her. That doesn't mean letting her get hurt, it just means not visiting her so much...
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

shouldn't this go on the daddy...help me section?

but for the questions I know you have to spend little time with maria meaning always runnning away from her, checking up on her in the hospital numerous times and try to kill her.
It also helps when you listen to the headphones in the otherworld hotel and have the converstation finish before heading out the door in the long hallway in the same said location
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

SilentMadness wrote:shouldn't this go on the daddy...help me section?

but for the questions I know you have to spend little time with maria meaning always runnning away from her, checking up on her in the hospital numerous times and try to kill her.
It also helps when you listen to the headphones in the otherworld hotel and have the converstation finish before heading out the door in the long hallway in the same said location
No, checking on her ANYWHERE will give you 'points' toward the Maria ending.
If you want to avoid that ending, you need to stay away from her.
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

jeez, read my post real carefully:
always runnning away from her
now, that you got me quoting myself, I'll say no more
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

SilentMadness wrote:jeez, read my post real carefully:
always runnning away from her
now, that you got me quoting myself, I'll say no more
You said you need to check on her in the hospital. That's what I was correcting. <_<
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

There are only a few things I can think of. Did you listen to Mary's little dialogue before the final boss battle? Did you check the headphones in the hotel? Did you walk around 'in the red' for long periods of time?

While those things will not get you the Leave ending, combining those with trying to get the Maria ending seems to make them cancel each other out and results in the Leave ending. The only other things I can think of are to check on her in the prison and make sure she doesn't take a lot of damage from creatures.
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

I was giving him ONE example out of many times when you're with maria. I picked that one because it stuck out to me the most.
words to live by
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

SilentMadness wrote:I was giving him ONE example out of many times when you're with maria. I picked that one because it stuck out to me the most.
....You're missing my point.

He wants to know how to get the LEAVE ending, NOT the MARIA ending. Checking on Maria ANYWHERE makes the MARIA ending more likely to happen.
EXAMINING Mary's photo and letter make the LEAVE ending more likely to happen.
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

I think there's a little confusion. From what I can tell, he got the Leave ending while he was trying to get Maria... Am I completely confused or something?
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

FiliusMartis wrote:I think there's a little confusion. From what I can tell, he got the Leave ending while he was trying to get Maria... Am I completely confused or something?
Woah.
Somehow I mixed the two up...
I'm more tired than I thought...

I'm sorry Madness, that was totally my bad. o_o He's right, you need to check on Maria as much as you can. But there's also a random element in the endings, for some reason.
Once again, my bad.
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

8)
no worries.
I was starting to g3et confused myself. We are talking about the same ending right?
:)
words to live by
in_my_memory
Just Passing Through

Post by in_my_memory »

FiliusMartis wrote:I think there's a little confusion. From what I can tell, he got the Leave ending while he was trying to get Maria... Am I completely confused or something?
correct! sorry if I wasn't very clear in my original post but I was trying to get the maria ending and got the leave ending, even after making sure maria didn't take any damage, spent a lot of time with her etc.

Maybe the random element did effect it... I think I'm more confused now then when I started haha
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

I think it's a combination of randomness and accidentally doing things which trigger the In Water ending. In Water and Maria things seem to cancel out on my game and I always end up with Leave too. Phoo, I hate that ending anyway.
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

The only thing that I can think of on how you possibly got the Leave Ending is that you probably automatically after first meeting Maria, you headed straight in the direction to the hotel. That's all that I can think of.
I think that's why you got this ending since you mentioned that you beat this game 938748923749827349823 times, you definantly know where to go now as in following the game only in pursuit of reaching the hotel. It's a common ending, so i'm pretty sure that's what you did.
Another thing I remember is that you can get this ending from quickly healing yourself after losing health. So consider that.
Silent Vamphyri
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Vamphyri »

If I remember correctly, to get the Maria ending:

I made sure she didn't take damage.
I never ran with her & always kept her close.
I revisited her in the hospital when she lied down.
& I tried to revisit her after she dies in the abyss jail cell.

I didn't look at Mary's photo or letter & didn't bump into Maria at all.

To get the Leave ending:

I healed immediately after being hurt.
I looked at Mary's photo & read her letter a few times.
& I listened to the entire hallway conversation.

I didn't stay close to Maria at all. I always ran with her, bumped into her, & let her take damage.
misskatonic
Just Passing Through

Post by misskatonic »

The same thing happened to me. I was trying for the Maria ending, but got leave instead. I went the wrong way so she had to correct me, I stayed with her a while, checked on her repeatedly in the hospital room, tried to go back into the cell, and ran through the voice-over at the end. I didn't look at the picture or the letter, either.

I did heal a lot, though, and I think Maria took a little damage, but I seriously thought I'd get the Maria ending. Got Leave instead. Go figure.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ladyfeylene/backgrounds/sh4sig.jpg[/img]
in_my_memory
Just Passing Through

Post by in_my_memory »

misskatonic wrote:The same thing happened to me. I was trying for the Maria ending, but got leave instead. I went the wrong way so she had to correct me, I stayed with her a while, checked on her repeatedly in the hospital room, tried to go back into the cell, and ran through the voice-over at the end. I didn't look at the picture or the letter, either.

I did heal a lot, though, and I think Maria took a little damage, but I seriously thought I'd get the Maria ending. Got Leave instead. Go figure.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. I healed a lot too and that's the only thing I can think of now that may have affected the ending outcome (as I'd done everything required to get the Maria ending). Hmmm... food for thought...
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Also, the fact that you've already cleared the Maria ending makes getting other endings more likely.
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Yay, so I was right.