Why do I find the Labyrinth so unsettling?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Deleted.
Last edited by Mephisto on 29 Mar 2012, edited 1 time in total.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

^ You wrote "readed" and my mind went numb. I pray that English is not your first language, because I will cry if it is.
Sorry, I just....readed....
Maybe I am in the labyrinth right now.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Deleted.
Last edited by Mephisto on 29 Mar 2012, edited 1 time in total.
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

Mephisto wrote:Funny of you to make fun of people who don't write right, i'm not english and by seeing this behaviour I'm glad that I'm not.

Peachy is a fine lady.... :wink:

I believe she was just being sarcastic, doesn't mean you should
take a stab at "english" peoplez....

But what you said before that post actually made a lot of sense, it did feel like he was trying to escape his own mind, well observed.
revalations 23:16
Mustang
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Mustang »

The labyrinth was unsettling to me because it was bland and very plain. Plain walls,weird music and the fact that it can't exist and such makes it feel like a completely desolate lonely place which it definitely pulls off and that makes it unsettling.
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

I was more creeped out by the fact that James jumped into seemingly bottomless pits and got out without injury... But the labyrinth itself was creepy because it consited of several areas that all screamed out decay, chaos and the "destruction" of reality as we know it. I also wondered how deep it really was and who built it.
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/Ghoul68/banner_shh_4.png[/img]
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

It was the lack of decay that made it so creepy for me. The prison was rotted and rusted and looked like it had been abandoned for centuries. The labyrinth could have still been in use.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
FailingCancer
Just Passing Through

Post by FailingCancer »

I was running through the Labyrinth and I said outloud, "You know? I haven't seen that guy with the helmet that was banging those mannequins in a while."
Next thing I know he comes marching around the corner and my controller goes flying of my hand as I screamed and fell out of my chair.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

^Hahaha yeah I wasn't expecting it either.

I love that you can find PH's room in the Labyrinth...
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
...and attain his knife therein!!
Dr. Eggnog

Post by Dr. Eggnog »

For me, the labyrith is the scariest and also the best level of the game. I love how weird it is. Tocula was the most intense, though.

I love how the Hotel is sortof calm and quiet, very refreshing after the tense prison and labyrith levels.
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

>I love how the Hotel is sortof calm and quiet, very refreshing after the tense prison and labyrith levels.

I thought the calm, darkness and dead quiet made the hotel even more disturbing after going through the previous areas.... :shock:
revalations 23:16
Dr. Eggnog

Post by Dr. Eggnog »

Ha ha! It's more unsettling for me on replays, but my first time through it seemed really relaxing and nice, a place I'd love to be.
BurningWitch
Just Passing Through

Post by BurningWitch »

Oddish wrote:Right... much of the Labyrinth's scare factor is what leads up to it. Especially that morgue, which I think is the most horrible location in the entire game. The way those corpses are just so indifferently stuffed into holes and left to rot... urghhh.

If the game began in the labyrinth, it wouldn't be nearly as scary.
Agreed. The prison and morgue and all the hole jumping before the labyrinth was way more unsettling to me than the actual labyrinth.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

^Same here. That morgue was creepy as hell. But I just love that Walter Sullivan grave. I love little cameos like that (even if it is a retroactive cameo).
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
FailingCancer
Just Passing Through

Post by FailingCancer »

The bodies crammed into the holes in the wall before James jumps in made me think that there was a boss down there that ate the bodies. Then I was like, "Wait that doesn't make sense." Then I realized how redundant that statement is in Silent Hill, because I was maybe eight hundred fifty thousand feet below the earth at that point and GOING FARTHER.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

And yet ended up on the surface. I love impossible-space shit like that. It makes it all the more unnerving.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
volpe3fuego
Just Passing Through

Post by volpe3fuego »

LoL I agree, the Labyrinth is very unsettling >_< During my first playthrough, I only ran into Pyramid Head in the circular area where you can go up the ladders and you don't know which side PH is on (unless you run right smack into him) ^^; In the water area, I didn't see, hear or run into him. But with my 2nd playthrough when I was in the water area, I thought at first it was a lying figure heading towards me but nope nope...it was Pyramid Head and that freaked me the hell out!! I didn't know he could be down there too so I was like "WtF?!"

*Jasper voice* Man, SH2 gives me the ch-ch-chills...anyone got a chocolate milk they can spare?
The Game..what's up with that? Who's his manager: Milton Bradley? ~ Edge making fun of Triple H,WWE
destinyCreature11
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by destinyCreature11 »

the cube was creepy for me because it had all those wierd faces and you had to find another exit by staying in the room and trying to solve it....creepy....
Butcher Incarnate
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Why do I find the Labyrinth so unsettling?

Post by Butcher Incarnate »

I find the labyrinth nerve wrecking to me because when I saw PH underground where you find his sword , I thought" shit he's going to be everywhere, so every time there was a corner I approached cautiously fearing that he would be waiting..
When Death Comes, It Comes For All.
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Re: Why do I find the Labyrinth so unsettling?

Post by Herr Shaun »

I think what gives the Labyrinth a lot its creepiness is the fact that it's purely otherworldly. You know that given all the holes you've jumped down and the depth you've plummeted to, you can't possibly be in the real world anymore. You're in the depth of the town's darkness, and the darkness in James' mind. He's got some issues.
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.