Quick Question About SH's Power

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Cactusgod
Just Passing Through

Quick Question About SH's Power

Post by Cactusgod »

So, I came to the realization when I was asked by a friend about Silent Hill 2. I realized that I have no idea how Silent Hill has "power" in this game. I've played through them all, so spoilers are just fine. If Alessa didn't really want the god power in the original SH, as referenced by the Lost Memories book (or whatever its called), as in she didnt want to reunite with Cheryl , and the god being was ultimately defeated, why would the town remain evil and powerful when Cheryl wasn't around anymore? How could it even draw people to the town?

Speaking of which, I realize this is the SH2 board, but I feel like I'm missing something in my SH 1 breakdown right there. How exactly did the Alessa/Dahlia/Cheryl relationship work, if you don't mind me asking. I want to have the facts straight so I can explain to my friend whats going on.

Thanks for the help ;p
in zero
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by in zero »

Silent Hill has always had some unknown mysterious power, and no one knows why. It was observed in ancient times and all sorts of cults and whatnot sprung up out of it. I guess it's not something that is meant to be known.
Cactusgod
Just Passing Through

Post by Cactusgod »

Thanks. I have been refreshing my mind with some old topics and I remembered this as well. The movie kind of messed with my recollection about the true power of Silent Hill itself.

Thanks for the response!
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

In Zero is right. Infact, many people speculate that the God is actually a delusion or manifestation, just like Maria and the monsters.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

The Book of Lost Memories also hints that God is something considerably less than divine.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The power of the Otherworld in Silent Hill 2, and the existence of the [otherside], is a spillover from Alessa's creation of the [otherside]. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle writes, "Starting with the first game, the power that the town holds has intensified greatly. It has reached the point that those who hold darkness in their hearts are called to gather, and each of their unconscious minds is manifested."

In the chapter "Strength," it writes:
Originally Silent Hill was a holy place to the area's former inhabitants. It
would seem that although the power of the town was not evil in nature, due to
a number of factors including the spread of an epidemic and executions at the
prison, the power that this place held was greatly distorted. Furthermore,
due to the large-scale shift to the otherworld that occurred in the first
game, the town has become a great catalyst for the manifestation of peoples'
unconscious minds. It appears to have become a place that beckons to those
who hold darkness in their hearts.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

MMY wrote:The power of the Otherworld in Silent Hill 2, and the existence of the [otherside], is a spillover from Alessa's creation of the [otherside]. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle writes, "Starting with the first game, the power that the town holds has intensified greatly. It has reached the point that those who hold darkness in their hearts are called to gather, and each of their unconscious minds is manifested."

In the chapter "Strength," it writes:
Originally Silent Hill was a holy place to the area's former inhabitants. It
would seem that although the power of the town was not evil in nature, due to
a number of factors including the spread of an epidemic and executions at the
prison, the power that this place held was greatly distorted. Furthermore,
due to the large-scale shift to the otherworld that occurred in the first
game, the town has become a great catalyst for the manifestation of peoples'
unconscious minds. It appears to have become a place that beckons to those
who hold darkness in their hearts.

This is pretty much what I think the town of Silent Hill is. A thinning between dimensions and reality. Observed even by the natives who inhabited the land long before the Europeans settled the area.
The town is pretty much empathic, and if you've got issues, it's best to stay away from it ;).

Why the veil is so thin in the area of SH, it's not known, and personally I hope it's never fully divulged. Eh, it's aliens, what am I saying?
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

I always thought it had something to do with an Indian burial ground.
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Incoming racism shitstorm.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

It's hinted that the reason Silent Hill has always been so screwed-up is because of all the dead people whose spirits linger. Thus why the town was originally named "The Place of the Silent Spirits." SH2 and SH4 have small bits of data regarding this. So the "Indian burial ground" theory isn't too off the mark, IMO.

The energy never became "evil" until all the violence and disease started to occur. But even then, some people find Silent Hill beautiful. Mary found it peaceful, because she was close to death and sensed a kinship perhaps. The Order seems to have no problem with it, since the town creates an actual (and very powerful) God out of their collective beliefs. Only those with darkness in their hearts will experience the hell that is so well associated with Silent Hill.

I also read somewhere official that Toluca Lake is the font of Silent Hill's power, or at least, Toluca Lake is where all the fog comes from.
Deathbywoodenplank
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Deathbywoodenplank »

If you remember Mary's tape from the hotel, she mentions that "this whole area used to be a sacred place". Also, there are a few other hints of Quaker and witch-hunter activities that took place when the town was colonized.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath
the REAPER came today.
An ANGEL visited this gray path,
and took the CUBE away.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I also read somewhere official that Toluca Lake is the font of Silent Hill's power
Where?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The energy never became "evil" until all the violence and disease started to occur. But even then, some people find Silent Hill beautiful. Mary found it peaceful, because she was close to death and sensed a kinship perhaps.
Mary wasn't necessarily sick when Mary first became fond of it.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

I also read somewhere official that Toluca Lake is the font of Silent Hill's power
I also have never heard anything like that...
Mary found it peaceful, because she was close to death and sensed a kinship perhaps.
I don't think Mary realized how sick she was when she first visited Silent Hill. She merely wanted to go back there, to her "special place". Are you referring to the videotape that James finds in the hotel room. Yeah, Mary is coughing, but doesn't seem that sick...
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I always thought it had something to do with an Indian burial ground.
Me too, kinda.
I also read somewhere official that Toluca Lake is the font of Silent Hill's power
I also have never heard anything like that...

Count me on that one too, Scarlet.
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

MMY wrote:>I also read somewhere official that Toluca Lake is the font of Silent Hill's power
Where?
The prologue to Silent Hill Chronicle, I think, though I could have read it somewhere else. I vaguely recall an interview.

I think the prologue states that Toluca Lake is where the fog comes from and also which makes manifest the dark history of the town.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't think Mary realized how sick she was when she first visited Silent Hill. She merely wanted to go back there, to her "special place". Are you referring to the videotape that James finds in the hotel room. Yeah, Mary is coughing, but doesn't seem that sick...
That doesn't seem to be their first visit there, either. And if you consider the theory that she's related to the Shepherds from Homecoming, then she'd of been exposed to Silent Hill at a young age. I think Mary might've had a spiritual sensitivity to Silent Hill that's irrelevant to her health. After all, it's where her spirit decides to find it's rest, even though she didn't die there.