Clocks at the start of the game (spoilers)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Kupomee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Clocks at the start of the game (spoilers)

Post by Kupomee »

So I replayed the game 5 months ago and just now ran across this textfile where I typed up some of the things I noticed on that playthrough. Making those into some threads now.
Hope I still remember what I noticed correctly lol, but here goes the first thread.

At the start of the game, in the hospital, all the clocks show it's ten to two. Interesting I thought, as clocks in the rest of the game have stopped at 2:06 to commemorate .
So the bit at Alchemilla takes place before the clocks stopped, or is it just the clocks in Shepard's Glen that stopped? Didn't really look for clocks once I entered Silent Hill, hope some of you did.
"We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our little life is rounded with a sleep."
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

From what I remember of the game,
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
in that revelation movie before the ending when Josh drowns & then Adam collects Alex & Josh in a boat, there's a moment when Alex looks at Adam's watch & it's stopped at 2:06 I guess. And that's the moment when he finally realizes he can't save Josh, so he goes insane. Actually Alex was never a soldier, in fact he was sent to a mental institution after Josh's death. So I think the clocks stopping all over the town are a metaphor for Alex's mental issue after Josh's death, as if 'The whole World' stopped for him when he found out his brother couldn't be saved. (And the town eventually, cause they were responsible for the sacrifices.)
As in the 'hospital' ending, it seems to me the Alchemilla was a slight reminder of Alex's time in a sanitarium. But I didn't notice the clocks at hospital. Perhaps 1:50 time you mentioned is related to another subject.
Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

The clock-stop only applied to Shepherd's Glen. Alchemilla would be out of bounds.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Or they just have missed it like they've missed the biggest Shepherd's Glenn clock ever (the one on the Town Hall), Wheeler's hand watch, Scarlet's foggy world alarm clock and maybe some more.
BTW, I never noticed Alchemilla clocks before. I guess I should pay attention next time.
Image Image
Foggy VS. hellish:
Image Image
Or maybe all that stuff do have some meaning I still can't figure out.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I'm guessing 1:50 is when Alex broke out of Alchemilla.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Also the picture of Wheeler's watch is from a scene taking place in Silent Hill, where the stopped time doesn't apply. The clock-tower looks accurate enough to me. Scarlet's Foggy World room clock, I assume, is the time Scarlet might have died, then shifts to the time of Josh's death in the Dark World?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

AuraTwilight
Also the picture of Wheeler's watch is from a scene taking place in Silent Hill, where the stopped time doesn't apply.
I don't have a SG pictures of Wheeler's watch now but I highly doubt it's somehow different. Also Scarlet program proves there is only one Wheeler's model in game:
The clock-tower looks accurate enough to me.
It's 01:10 there.
Scarlet's Foggy World room clock, I assume, is the time Scarlet might have died, then shifts to the time of Josh's death in the Dark World?
Which is strange because Hell Descent Dark World is far more connected with Scarlet than with Alex or Josh. And the Foggy World in the other hand is less connected to some specific persons.
Last edited by Klimat on 17 Aug 2009, edited 1 time in total.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

Ten to two is the standard time shown on watches and clocks in advertisements or sales brochures. Firstly this time allows for a clear view of the brand logo, and secondly, it sort of resembles a smile. It's likely that the alchemilla clocks are set to this time simply because it's a standard thing to do.

If you take a look at the website for timex or whoever you'll likely see that most if not all of the watches display this time.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Chy-Fi
Just Passing Through

Post by Chy-Fi »

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I thought that 2:06 not only ment Alex's mental hospital room number but also Josh's time of death. Curtis says that it's like something's not letting them move on when Alex asks him about the clocks. It is night time when Alex and Josh go out on the lake, so it could very easily be 2:06 am. When Josh died at 2:06 am instead of Alex, the gods became angry with the town for not upholding their pact and wouldn't allow Shepard's Glen to move on, thus all the clocks stopping at 2:06
I am the very model of a scientist salarian. I've studied species turian, asari and batarian. I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology). My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian. I am the very model of a scientist salarian.
JiGoKuShOuJiN
Just Passing Through

Post by JiGoKuShOuJiN »

And it could also mean that 2+6=8 which means Infinity! Which means 2:06 forever!
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There, I did it. I calculated infinity.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

JiGoKuShOuJiN wrote:And it could also mean that 2+6=8 which means Infinity! Which means 2:06 forever!
You mean 8 as an inverted infinity sign? Or does the 'number' 8 has another meaning?
Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die
rawker
Just Passing Through

Post by rawker »

My theory: 2:06 may be the time when he lost his sanity upon Joshua's death. It will not move forward until he had some sort of closure.