What was the deal with the graveyard in Silent Hill?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

What was the deal with the graveyard in Silent Hill?

Post by jdnation »

You reach it before coming near the prison, you can enter from two sides and grab some items and an axe. But there was also a statue of Juno that got circled on your map as well as some jewelstones... but I never got to figuring out what those were for... Did I miss something? :?
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

It isn't Juno, it's Janus.
Janus is the Roman god of gates and doors (ianua), beginnings and endings, and hence represented with a double-faced head, each looking in opposite directions. He was worshipped at the beginning of the harvest time, planting, marriage, birth, and other types of beginnings, especially the beginnings of important events in a person's life. Janus also represents the transition between primitive life and civilization, between the countryside and the city, peace and war, and the growing-up of young people.

One tradition states that he came from Thessaly and that he was welcomed by Camese in Latium, where they shared a kingdom. They married and had several children, among which the river god Tiberinus (after whom the river Tiber is named). When his wife died, Janus became the sole ruler of Latium. He sheltered Saturn when he was fleeing from Jupiter. Janus, as the first king of Latium, brought the people a time of peace and welfare; the Golden Age. He introduced money, cultivation of the fields, and the laws. After his death he was deified and became the protector of Rome. When Romulus and his associates stole the Sabine Virgins, the Sabines attacked the city. The daughter of one of the guards on the Capitolian Hill betrayed her fellow countrymen and guided the enemy into the city. They attempted to climb the hill but Janus made a hot spring erupt from the ground, and the would-be attackers fled from the city. Ever since, the gates of his temple were kept open in times of war so the god would be ready to intervene when necessary. In times of peace the gates were closed.

His most famous sanctuary was a portal on the Forum Romanum through which the Roman legionaries went to war. He also had a temple on the Forum Olitorium, and in the first century another temple was built on the Forum of Nerva. This one had four portals, called Janus Quadrifons. When Rome became a republic, only one of the royal functions survived, namely that of rex sacrorum or rex sacrificulus. His priests regularly sacrificed to him. The month of January (the eleventh Roman month) is named after him.

Janus was represented with two faces, originally one face was bearded while the other was not (probably a symbol of the sun and the moon). Later both faces were bearded. In his right hand he holds a key. The double-faced head appears on many Roman coins, and around the 2nd century BCE even with four faces.
Source: http://www.pantheon.org/articles/j/janus.html

I would emphasize some points but its very self-explanatory, I think.

As for the gemstones, isn't that a puzzle?
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Ah yeah, Janus, sorry! I found the statue, found some gemstones and then left to go to the plant... I didn't solve any puzzle or anything... I tihnk I might've missed it, there was a Smog around and I was low on health and so I must've run out before figuring anything out so I never found the puzzle for the gemstones... Come to think of it I also found hunting rifle bullets but I never found the hunting rifle so I missed that too, that's probably what was there... But I bypassed that place completely to go to the plant and then ran back to the prison...
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I thought the gemstone was part of a puzzle, but I'm not sure if I'm confusing that with something else entirely. Whoops...
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I'm not certain, but isn't there an additional gemstone puzzle in the cemetery permitting an additional costume or weapon, something along those lines?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Ratiocinator
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ratiocinator »

Yep, you can use the gemstones in SH's graveyard to get the rifle (I think). Just be warned: You need 3 (I think) gemstones to solve the puzzle and if you put two in and go search for the third one the original two may disappear when you get back with the final stone (the game has some bad glitches). So hold onto them all before you attempt to solve the puzzle.

Remember... it's Silent Hill's graveyard and not Alex's hometown (forgot the name). It's easily overlooked--it's an open gate off to the side.
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The statue in the Silent Hill cemetery had a riddle, and slots for two gemstones. There were however, more than two stones, so you had to figure out which two exactly fit the riddles. Anyway, it would give you a key which could get you to another part of the cemetery, this is where you find the rifle.

Edit, beat me to it.
reap28
Just Passing Through

Post by reap28 »

there are three gemstones and you put two of them in the statue and you get a key which lets you go and get the rifle
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

There are four stones actually. But only two of them are useful, the other two are just for the sake of confusing us.
PHFTW
Just Passing Through

Post by PHFTW »

i completely skipped the cemetary :lol: