SH 5: A Complete Disappointment

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

December Man
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by December Man »

Skele wrote:ginjajacob I understand you really don't care for Homecoming, but do try to be a bit less insulting to the fans who do enjoy the game. I don't care for SH4:TR, but i don't call fans who do enjoy it "delusional," nor do i insult their intelligence and comprehension levels.
This. Posts like ginjajacob's make me feel ashamed of being a Silent Hill fan. Fanboyism is rampant here like among Fallout fans or The Dark Knight fans.
[img]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5149/smallershsig8jd.jpg[/img]
thathotel
Just Passing Through

Post by thathotel »

My take on homecoming is that it felt like the development team didn't have "giving their best" in mind. It resulted in a mediocre experience the first 4 hours of playing it.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

The huge Silent Hill fan believes in Team Silent.

The irony runs rampant in this thread.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
SPRINGS02
Historical Society Historian
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

:roll: not really i already know your going to say there was no real team silent but there actually was the original members that worked on silent hill 1-4=the real team silent
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

Except not all the same people worked on 1-4.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

i still say those people who worked on 1-4 are the real team silent and i've been wondering what proof do you people have that say different members worked on silent hill 1-4 :?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The credits of the games, for one. The staff changed frequently with each installment to the point where very, very few people worked on more than two, much less all of them (I believe only Akira Yamaoka has that honor, but I might be thinking in regard to ALL games).
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Ravager
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Ravager »

I really don't understand why people think Origins is way better than this. If you enjoyed Origins more, ok. That's fine. But better?

Yes, Homecoming had several Hollywood moments, more action, more swearing, recycled monsters... But it was different.
Origins on the other hand brought absolutely nothing new. We already knew the whole Alessa story and the gameplay was exactly the same as the previous games.
The new things Climax added didn't work out either. Breakable weapons? Travis's story?

Maybe I'm being unfair. But it's just that I was very disappointed by Origins. Homecoming isn't that great either, but at least it felt refreshing.

And they both took a lot from the movie and the previous games.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

At least Origins story wasn't
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I killed myt loved one and I forgot it
Also the monsters in origins are more creative (Less the straightjackets and the nurses but even the nurses had an original design, not a rip off of the movie nurses thatare a rip off of the SH2 nurses)

The unlockables in origins are a lot better, not just the costumes, also the different flashlights (The smiley face is just badass)

Origins has a lot more of exploration and less useless people (Silent Hill is about loneliness and desolation, no monsters mass attacks and codec)

The only thing I felt that 0rigins took from the movie was Alessa's appearance (Maybe the otherworld change in the end of the game), besides that they tried to create a more original story and throw a bit of light in the old charactres...

The best thing about 0rigins is that the game still generating a lot of questions about the story, the scenary details, everything (Although is damn short), although you finish the game you still coming back for look several details... In Homecoming, after you know the game's story you get the answer to the 95% of details of the game...

Also Travis is a truck driver and he acts like one... He is rude for act, think and fight... Alex is just a big-mouth... I think Heather has a lot of guts more than him...

Just the Hell's descent is a good alternate world in SHH, the other alternate worlds are just meh... Also Shepherd's Glen... Why did have to create a town ffrom Nowhere?? WOuld be a lot better to create a story about Brahms...
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

I really need to get around to trying Origins sometime. Just looking at it though, it seems more like a 'traditional' Silent Hill, ie, better. SH Homecoming would have been received much better if they just changed some stuff and renamed it. People look at it as less of a bad game and more of a bad Silent Hill, ie, half the hate is just from it being a bit too radically different. There's nothing wrong with new ideas but when you completely change what made past games so good, people are going to bitch.
Your weaboo is showing
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The only thing I felt that 0rigins took from the movie was Alessa's appearance (Maybe the otherworld change in the end of the game), besides that they tried to create a more original story and throw a bit of light in the old charactres...
Alessa of Origins and Alessa of the movie look nothing alike.
Also Shepherd's Glen... Why did have to create a town ffrom Nowhere?? WOuld be a lot better to create a story about Brahms...
Brahams would be boring as hell. Also an ass pull. "So yea, Brahams has this cult that sacrifices children to the God of Silent Hill, even though it's nowhere near there, and you'd think the police, like Cybil, would you know...notice."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

KageReneko wrote:At least Origins story wasn't
No, instead it was -
My loved one killed himself and I forgot
Damn, people really get caught up on this one bit of Homecoming's story and decide to ignore what it is used to build upon.

The slightly different nurses... The lying figures... The otherworld transition... Welcome to Silent Hill...

And really? I thought Homecoming's story was far more creative than Origins'.
Ravager
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Ravager »

KageReneko wrote:At least Origins story wasn't
No, Origins was
Hmm, what reason should Travis have to get into the Silent Hill alternate dimensions stuff. Oh, I can't come up with anything good/disturbing/original. Ah well, let's have his parents commit suicide, giving Travis a background story like 90% of the cliche drama TV movies out there. Oh and let's put the Alessa story people already know in it aswell. That's easier!
Sorry for the sarcasm. :P
Also the monsters in origins are more creative (Less the straightjackets and the nurses but even the nurses had an original design, not a rip off of the movie nurses thatare a rip off of the SH2 nurses)
True. I didn't think Origins' monsters were that great. But at least they didn't put movie-PH in it. And nurses are ok, they're a trademark. :)
The unlockables in origins are a lot better, not just the costumes, also the different flashlights (The smiley face is just badass)
I'm not judging games by a couple of funny bonus thingies. But yes, they are better.
Origins has a lot more of exploration and less useless people (Silent Hill is about loneliness and desolation, no monsters mass attacks and codec)
All the roads besides the ones you should use, are cut off. Not much exploration. Not to mention there are lightning fast Straight Jackets and the gigantic Calibans blocking the road.
The otherworld change yes (since they were to lazy to put those more in the game), Alessa looked stupid (the whole evil kid look) lol, the Welcome To Silent Hill sign. But ok, Homecoming had these aswell.
The best thing about 0rigins is that the game still generating a lot of questions about the story, the scenary details, everything (Although is damn short), although you finish the game you still coming back for look several details... In Homecoming, after you know the game's story you get the answer to the 95% of details of the game...
The questions I had in Origins were the same questions I had when playing SH1.
Also Travis is a truck driver and he acts like one... He is rude for act, think and fight... Alex is just a big-mouth... I think Heather has a lot of guts more than him...
Yeah but in the end of Homecoming we find out there's a lot more wrong with Alex.
Just the Hell's descent is a good alternate world in SHH, the other alternate worlds are just meh... Also Shepherd's Glen... Why did have to create a town ffrom Nowhere?? WOuld be a lot better to create a story about Brahms...
I really loved the outside area otherworld church in Homecoming. In fact, I thought every otherworld part in Homecoming looked good.
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

I don't think Homecoming was dissapointing, just different. Much like all the Silent Hill titles. I've never been let down by any silent hill title. I become somewhat frustrated by SH4, but otherwise each title has it's own uniqueness and perks.

That uniqueness is what's important to me. I don't want every single title playing by the same exact rules every time, otherwise it takes away some of the unknown and mystery from everything.
Futures
Just Passing Through

Post by Futures »

OsirisZero wrote: Actual Silent Hill had nothing to do with smoke, or ash, or underground fires, or coal mines, or Pyramid Head whoring himself out everywhere, or some ridiculous 'The Order', or it's members inexplicably walking around everywhere in heavy mining gear (nevermind the mostly non-existence of other people in general that occurs in the real games in general), or any number of other things the developers of this game thought would be cool.

Everything "deep" is out of place. There was no reason for having "sexual" monsters everywhere, the main guy (Alex or something) seemed to not have any real hangups about much of anything apart from extreme crazy-guilt and understandably being pissed at his parents.

They should have just called it Silent Hill: The Movie: The Game: Cutting Myself Now.
Actually, for the most part, the game was consistent in the way that it merged the movie elements with the gaming universe. I didn't mind it at all. Pretty much every reference or nod was worked into the game's storyline and applied to its characters.

Also, Pyramid Head had a valid purpose, to my knowledge. And as for the game being needlessly sexual, it wasn't. Many seem to site the Asphyxia boss battle as being erotic or claim that it deals with some type of sexual repression. It doesn't. In my opinion, it deals with the mother-daughter relationship that was tainted with Nora's death. Yes, even the breasts, being nursery organs, apply to this theme.

I don't think the game is shallow, but rather, certain fans are. Many don't give the game the amount of dissection or thought given to other titles, and really, it should be given a chance. I feel that there's a lot more to this title...
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

I tried to give it a chance until it decided to have a judge holloway try and drill a hole in alex eye(soo scary and deep) :roll:
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

Yes, that one moment that lasted about ten seconds ruined the whole game for me too.

Seriously, you've used that argument countless times and you should really stop using it because it's fucking ridiculous.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

i know that drill scene is "fucking ridiculous" the point is it has no place in a silent hill game thats something i would expect to see in hostel or saw
OsirisZero
Just Passing Through

Post by OsirisZero »

Falconv1.0 wrote:The Order is a fairly major fucking faction in Silent Hill.
Yeah, not really.

See, "The Order" was the movie's version of the cult from the game...which had of course absolutely nothing to do with the actual game--aside from the fact that it sounded spooky and ominous and sort of sounds like crazy religious-y.

It was never The Order, and in fact had no name if I remember correctly. It was a cult made up of some of the town's most key figures, granted, but not much more. It sure as hell was NOT some fanatical religious group comprised of the whole town that went around in coal-mining outfits, taking refuge and sounding alarms from church rooftops to warn people of "the darkness". In fact, the whole point of the Silent Hill games were that they were very subjective--and desolate.

Most other people would not have been apart of the same nightmare, unless they had something to do with the overall story arc in some kind of somewhat significant way.

The Order is a load of shit and was never in any of the games...except for Homecoming.

Also, get this, THERE WAS NO COALMINE BS OR eternally burning underground fires. The snow looking stuff in Silent Hill was actually SNOW and the fog was actually FOG.

There is a reason for this in the games. The movie on the other hand went it's own way because it was an adaptation of the game. The game literally followed the whole background plot of the movie and the main character LITERALLY went to Silent Hill and was all like OMFG SMOKE *COUGHCOUGHCOUGH* and ASHSHSHH!!! *blarararggh* JEEZ WHY DO I SMELL THIS??!??!?

*Spoiler above BTW*

Yes Alex (I think that was his name)... Why indeed.
Futures wrote:as for the game being needlessly sexual, it wasn't.
Sexual themes were actually pretty rampant through the game (specifically the monsters because, "hey, that's what one o' those othar games hads") The ESRB rating details even state "Strong sexual themes". And they make an effort to point this theme out fairly repeatedly.
I don't think the game is shallow, but rather, certain fans are. Many don't give the game the amount of dissection or thought given to other titles, and really, it should be given a chance. I feel that there's a lot more to this title...
There's a difference between discovering and seeing depth because it's there, and pulling bits and pieces to create depth because it'd be cool if it was there.

The previous games had depth and made you think, but never advertised this fact. It slipped in under the radar. The movie and this game seem to make a big deal about trying to tell you how deep it is. But I guess that's more the difference between American/Western culture and other cultures...no cliche intended.

It wasn't a horrible game, it was just a not good Silent Hill game because it took too much from the movie as though it was the authority on the series, and too little from the actual franchise the movie was based off of.

I'd say that about sums up why it sucks so much.

That said, it's not like the movie was all that great either.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

The Cult from the movie was not The Order. And yeah, it kind of is a major faction. In fact, it is the faction.
In fact, the whole point of the Silent Hill games were that they were very subjective--and desolate.

Most other people would not have been apart of the same nightmare, unless they had something to do with the overall story arc in some kind of somewhat significant way.

The Order is a load of shit and was never in any of the games...except for Homecoming.
Excuse me, but have you ever played Silent Hill 1, 3 or 4?
Sexual themes were actually pretty rampant through the game (specifically the monsters because, "hey, that's what one o' those othar games hads") The ESRB rating details even state "Strong sexual themes". And they make an effort to point this theme out fairly repeatedly.
Such as? I wouldn't consider nurse cleavage to be 'rampant sexual themes'.
it was just a not good Silent Hill game because it took too much from the movie as though it was the authority on the series,
The authority of the series, Konami, wanted to capitalize on their film. That's that. The whole western developer thing doesn't really fly.

And in regards to those who think this game's downfall was borrowing from the film: What?

Do the exterior design of a church, a painting and 2 monster designs really have anything to do with the gameplay or narrative at all? No, not really. Scapegoating is cool.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]