Man Versus... Man?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

I thought fighting Order members were a great touch, I would have preferred if they had dropped the whole miner suit thing, though. Even the part where you have to get past the steam... I mean,it's only like 8 seconds to get past, the fuck? Seemed like DH just didn't want to animate some parts of the game. Maybe having 4 people on screen at the same time killed the game engine, who knows.

It's kinda weird too that the human enemies came off as mindless monsters more then the actual monsters. It was like playing Die Hard Trilogy again. :mrgreen:
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Don't some believe the monsters were people anyway...? Get some of them in here.
Canonically, Leonard, the Missionary, and the Scrapers are the only monsters in the game continuity that were ever human.
It's kinda weird too that the human enemies came off as mindless monsters more then the actual monsters.
Well, they ARE brainwashed cultists. :P
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JamesisBetterThanHarry22
Just Passing Through

Post by JamesisBetterThanHarry22 »

I thought the mercenaries were the Order seen as monsters in SH3, right? But, anyway considering all the Order members are dead (except for Judge Holloway, but all of them being dead is highly unlikely), then can we assume that SH is in a deserted state?
Come Murphy. The town awaits you.
Morbid.Marionette
Just Passing Through

Post by Morbid.Marionette »

I like the miner outfits for the Order members, way better than the outfits you see them in at the end SH:O.
l33tspaniard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by l33tspaniard »

The miner outfits actually make sense in SHH, though, seeing as how the last level takes place in and around a mine...
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

l33tspaniard wrote:The miner outfits actually make sense in SHH, though, seeing as how the last level takes place in and around a mine...
Great.

Now you can explain why they were screwing off in a mine.
¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? ¡Lárgate, cabrón!

Y'know what I don't hate?
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

I'm still trying to figure out where there was another dead cop down there, you know the one with the pipe stuck through him? Shit! I forgot to analyze that part... can you tell from the uniform if he was from Silent Hill, Brahms, or what?
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

The miners do make sense in SHH, I mean being that for one most of the game takes place in SG. And two the cultists we see in this game, are of a different sect of the order. Not the typical cultists of say the old Silent HIll.

I'm going to say it again, people are focusing too much on the fact that the look of this game looks like the movie. I don't care myself, as long as the story isn't exactly liked to the story of the movie.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Caim

Post by Caim »

ur-vile wrote:I'm still trying to figure out where there was another dead cop down there, you know the one with the pipe stuck through him? Shit! I forgot to analyze that part... can you tell from the uniform if he was from Silent Hill, Brahms, or what?
Well, the Order was kidnapping people mostly from SG as far as I know, and the dead cop's uniform looked very similar to Wheeler's.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

JamesisBetterThanHarry22 wrote:I thought the mercenaries were the Order seen as monsters in SH3, right? But, anyway considering all the Order members are dead (except for Judge Holloway, but all of them being dead is highly unlikely), then can we assume that SH is in a deserted state?
No, it's still probably populated.
Now you can explain why they were screwing off in a mine.
Why not? It's a secluded place to kill and put bodies and all that great stuff.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
PyramidHead1036
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidHead1036 »

my first scare with the order members:

In the warehouse with the A B C "puzzle" after turning off the power, you drop down the ladder and theres two order members, one with a pipe and one with the rifle. i was facing the ladder that i had just climbed down, and (with surround sound mind you) i turn around and hear the loudest CLANG noise of a pipe connecting to my face and I jumped about 15 feet.

At first I hated the order members, thinking 'this just doesn't feel like silent hill anymore..' but i grew to love the way they included them in the game, and the finishing moves were oh so fun to pull on them.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

Yeah, my first encounter was in that warehouse, too, before turning off the power. I had searched around and didn't see anyone, so I went grab a box of bullets off a shelf (which I couldn't pick up anyway due to having too many), and as soon as I turned around, the guy was just standing there behind me. Scared the crap out of me because I wasn't expecting it.
I'm offended by political correctness.
PyramidHead1036
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidHead1036 »

I had another encounter like that in the otherworld of alex's house, when you pull the lever and the schism is right there behind you...
Meeks
Just Passing Through

Post by Meeks »

I enjoyed the fact of fighting actual people and also hearing their comments and stuff XD I think it was a nice add and had a good reason to show there was also other people who supported the order.
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

Only thing I found funny about the order guards was that you could sit there for a while chopping these guys up with a fire axe, but they die in 2 shots or sometimes 1 from the pistol.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

Mantorok wrote:Only thing I found funny about the order guards was that you could sit there for a while chopping these guys up with a fire axe, but they die in 2 shots or sometimes 1 from the pistol.
It took 2 direct headshots from the pistol to drop one. If you hit other parts of the body, then it took more. But they weren't the worst with that.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Curtis took 8 direct headshots to kill. Man must have had adamantium for bones.
I'm offended by political correctness.
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

I both like it and dislike it. I've always been a proponent of the theory that, in killing "monsters," we've actually been killing people. If we go by this game, that's true, and the horror of what we've been doing since SH1 becomes excruciating

That said, openly killing obviously human enemies? Eh. I can do that in other games.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
LastGunslinger
Woodside Apartments Janitor
Location: The most extreme and utter region of the human mind.

Post by LastGunslinger »

I think it really drove home the point that, while the monsters are terrible and out to get you, actual people can be even worse. It might also be representative of Alex's psychological progression; as he gets closer to unravelling his own delusion, the enemies become less fantastic and more like real people, indicating more of a willingness to deal with real-life consequences.
“The sinister, the terrible never deceive: the state in which they leave us is always one of enlightenment. And only this condition of vicious insight allows us a full grasp of the world, all things considered, just as a frigid melancholy grants us full possession of ourselves. We may hide from horror only in the heart of horror."
--Thomas Ligotti
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I've always been a proponent of the theory that [. . .] we've actually been killing people.
This has only ever been true for Silent Hill 3, and only Leonard, the Missionary, and the Scrapers.

I generally don't like killing people in video games. This was no exception.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

[quote]This has only ever been true for Silent Hill 3[quote]
When did they ever suggest otherwise in the other games?

Plz to not yelling- I've just never found anything that really did for me. Now I'm curious.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.