So far the game seems to be very hard.

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

ur-vile wrote:^Well I was trying to play by the rules somewhat and not set the brightness on the tv and the game up all the way. I'm guessing someone is a dirty, rotten cheater :mrgreen:
Actually, I just used the default settings on the game. My t.v. brightness and contrast are actually set at the middle range, too.
I'm offended by political correctness.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

i love how dark the game is. makes it more realistic IMO. Scarlet is probably my favorite boss battle as well. i'd agree if someone says it's the best in the series. Scarlet really isn't that hard if you roll and try to attack her from the back or side. it also doesnt hurt if you have shotguns hells or pistol ammo.

so, after seeing how everyone thought that nurse in the hotel was a ninja, i decided to face her on my second playthrough. all i can say is, you all weren't lying. i don't know if she was pissed that i killed her friends in the nightmare stage, or what, but she wouldn't stop swinging. she almost killed me twice! i had to use 2 health drinks and 1 first aid kit. it's really hard to try and dodge her. after i killed her i just screamed "You ninja bitch!"
Darkest Dream
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Darkest Dream »

I personally hate to fight with Smogs, Needlers, and Schisms; but, they're awesome monsters though.

Scarlet, by the far, the most interesting boss fight and I like Scarlet. Awesome looking.

2 bosses down, 2 more to go.

P.S. Where the hell can I find Rifle? :? So far I've found several rifle ammunition and yet no rifle to be found? I sure hope that I didn't miss it earlier when I first found rifle ammunition.
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a267/Dombrowski26/headlinebizarro.gif[/img]
Devilsknight
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Devilsknight »

I found it to be very easy with some timing and patiance, not hard at all. I can understand people getting the shit banged out of them when they are used to play SH2/SH3 were the only thing that is required to beat ANY monster is a thumb.

To kill fast onse - Roll away/back when you hear them approaching and keeping doing this untill you have controll over were they are. Then just wait for them to take a charge, and do a quick attack. After that its just quick,quick,heavy > monster goes down > quick, heavy.

To kill slow onse - Roll around them and strafe untill you get them from the side or behind. Then go (again) with q,q,h,q,h.

To kill anything that can parry or is a fast attacker - Wait for them to attack by tapping dodge all the time, when they do attack you woll dodge it. Then go quick, heavy. Do this untill its dead.

Really not hard, Ive played the game for 2 hours and figured it out. And the amount of drinks are "okey" in my opinion, as a healthdrink almost gives you 50 - 75 % of your hp.
When I grow up I want to be Mockingbird.
Enlightened
Just Passing Through

Post by Enlightened »

I dont know if this has been posted yet, but using chairs in combination with tables allows a sort of glitch in the AI and gives you infinite time to launch strong attacks.

This especially comes in handy in:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
The police station
if you arent the dodging type.
Last edited by Enlightened on 07 Oct 2008, edited 1 time in total.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

Darkest Dream wrote:I personally hate to fight with Smogs, Needlers, and Schisms; but, they're awesome monsters though.

Scarlet, by the far, the most interesting boss fight and I like Scarlet. Awesome looking.

2 bosses down, 2 more to go.

P.S. Where the hell can I find Rifle? :? So far I've found several rifle ammunition and yet no rifle to be found? I sure hope that I didn't miss it earlier when I first found rifle ammunition.
Here's the answer to where the rifle is, under the spoiler box.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
If you've entered the Prison already, you've gone to far I'm afraid. There's a few gems scattered around Silent Hill's streets, but there's 2 that you need-- a Garnet from inside the cemetery on a bench and a Turquoise, which is found in a sink in the Power station where you shut down the power to get into the Prison. After getting those two gems, you need to run all the way back to the cemetery and to the statue of Janus. Put the two gems in the slots (corresponding to their birthstone month number). It'll give you a key which you can use to open the Moon Garden. Leaning against a bloody wall inside is the rifle.
GioGio
Historical Society Historian

Post by GioGio »

The one thing I always found easy about the SH series were the Bosses, they're relatively easy. That has changed with SH5 cause you need to get in close and use a melee weapon rather than standing back and blast away.

EDIT: Question, when knocked down, what button do I tap to immediately get back up?
Cause when Siam knocks me down, he sometimes gives me zero chance to get up killing me.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

Updated the tips and tricks post with the final boss battle.
Kabooki
Just Passing Through

Post by Kabooki »

Chaos thank you so very much on the tips on beating SCarlet! I finally beat her tonight, my first try using your knife fight tip :D

so again thank you!

Now to add I hate Slide Puzzles :(
Freshness
Just Passing Through

Post by Freshness »

I am about 2 & 1/2 hours into the game on hard mode (didnt bother with normal).
And i find it not to hard because once you find out a good way to kill the enemies you can kill them without getting hit pretty easily to.

Thought i do admit dieng lots because of new trickier enemies appearing.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

GioGio wrote:The one thing I always found easy about the SH series were the Bosses, they're relatively easy. That has changed with SH5 cause you need to get in close and use a melee weapon rather than standing back and blast away.

EDIT: Question, when knocked down, what button do I tap to immediately get back up?
Cause when Siam knocks me down, he sometimes gives me zero chance to get up killing me.
You use the dodge button to get back up quickly. If you hit it as soon as you land, you'll jump to your feet.
MillsLayne
Just Passing Through

Post by MillsLayne »

Freshness wrote:I am about 2 & 1/2 hours into the game on hard mode (didnt bother with normal).
And i find it not to hard because once you find out a good way to kill the enemies you can kill them without getting hit pretty easily to.

I think the thing that kills players the most is getting attacked by a gang of monsters. Alone, each one isn't too bad, but it's when they gang up on you is when you might be screwed.

And judging by the post above about how to get the rifle, I went too far.

Actually, no I didn't. I thought you were talking about the cemetery in Shepherd's Glen. I'm currently in the power station, so I can just backtrack to get it. Good. :D
I am Jack's colon.
[img]http://www.bumperart.com/ProductImages/2004081616_Display-25.gif[/img][img]http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolchaser.com/thumb-726335.jpg[/img]
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

MillsLayne wrote:
Freshness wrote:I am about 2 & 1/2 hours into the game on hard mode (didnt bother with normal).

I think the thing that kills players the most is getting attacked by a gang of monsters. Alone, each one isn't too bad, but it's when they gang up on you is when you might be screwed.

And judging by the post above about how to get the rifle, I went too far.

Actually, no I didn't. I thought you were talking about the cemetery in Shepherd's Glen. I'm currently in the power station, so I can just backtrack to get it. Good. :D
Yeah, you have to hit the power station first anyway. I usually just finish that part and run back to get the rifle, then back to the prison. Don't forget to pick up the Pulaski Axe before heading into the prison!
GioGio

Post by GioGio »

KLGChaos wrote:
GioGio wrote:The one thing I always found easy about the SH series were the Bosses, they're relatively easy. That has changed with SH5 cause you need to get in close and use a melee weapon rather than standing back and blast away.

You use the dodge button to get back up quickly. If you hit it as soon as you land, you'll jump to your feet.
Thanks Chaos, I tried and it worked....when I time it right.
Thanks again
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

GioGio wrote:
KLGChaos wrote:

Thanks Chaos, I tried and it worked....when I time it right.
Thanks again
Aye, there's the rub. Timing it right. I found that by the end of the game, I could do it 75% of the time.
tooblekaine

Post by tooblekaine »

This game started out with a great mood and an interesting premise, but this style of combat has really irritated the hell out of me. It completely kills the mood and takes me out of the game! When I'm dieing half a dozen times at the same spot and having to repeat sections and conversations over and over and over again... I'm sorry, Double Helix got some things right, but they REALLY screwed up on the difficulty level here. And when you have to explain how to fight each monster using crappy explanation cards as loading screens... sheesh!
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Melee weapons on bosses! Button-pushing to get up!

Crap... I might as wel never buy this game. It is beginning to sound like re4... only worse.

More negative brownie points to you, Double Helix.
Davido
Just Passing Through

Post by Davido »

Harrys_Girl wrote:Melee weapons on bosses! Button-pushing to get up!

Crap... I might as wel never buy this game. It is beginning to sound like re4... only worse.

More negative brownie points to you, Double Helix.
I'm sorry, do you prefer to kill bosses in 1 minute using roflzwtf guns and loosing no health ? YEA that will make the mood much more tense ! (Y) But please, dont buy it so we wont hear any more whining from you =)
Hjartu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Hjartu »

Hnnng! I usually do easy action + hard riddle, so I went normal this time, and even this is a bitch!
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/hjartu/junjisig.jpg[/img]
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

The combat system does take some getting used to, but with the proper strategy (see my tips on page 6), you can beat the game without much difficulty. I died maybe 6-7 times during the game, a few of which I let myself die just to try to do better my second time around.

I ended up beating the game my first go around with 12 health drinks left and didn't use a single medkit or serum all game. It wasn't that difficult. Of course, after playing games like Condemned on hard without batting an eyelash, this wasn't too bad.