References to past games, full o' spoilers!

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Inner Eye
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Inner Eye »

No, in fact you don't get a map of this area of Silent Hill, so no one knows where in Silent Hill the hotel is at. Given that the Welcome sign is nearby, one must assume it is on the edge of town. It may also be in the resort area, since most hotels in Silent Hill are located there.

Edit: After playing through that part again, I noticed that the store next to the hotel was "Nathen's Convience Store" I don't know if it could be a future form of Nathen's Drugs.
Resident Cajun and Wolf.
Tank Girl
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tank Girl »

Goodnight wrote:I think there was a huge Mary reference - Alex's mother looks exactly like her.

Besides, we already know she went missing and wasn't found, along with James, thanks to SH4. Any more info would have been obvious rehashing for the sake of it.

I was personally glad not to see any direct mentions of Mary. I'd like her fate to remain ambiguous, like James'. It means any one of the SH2 real endings could be a possibility.
I thought that at first, too. The whole Lillian looks like Mary thing. However, because of the last name... that would mean that Adam Shepherd was Mary's brother.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/pezkore][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/pezkore.png[/img][/url]

PSN: pezkore
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

I couldn't believe after the Judge=Laura speculation that the manual has her listed as 51 years old. She looks pretty damn good for post-50. I'd hit it.
Tank Girl
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tank Girl »

Did you happen to notice that the models shown in the manual for Lillian, Elle, and the Judge look almost nothing like how they appear in game? Everyone else looks bout the same though.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/pezkore][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/pezkore.png[/img][/url]

PSN: pezkore
JamesisBetterThanHarry22
Just Passing Through

Post by JamesisBetterThanHarry22 »

Alex seems to say "Oh God" frequently. Like Henry's "What the hell?"
Come Murphy. The town awaits you.
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

I'm going to list the ones that I noticed that haven't been mentioned yet

in the hospital at the start of the game you can read a letter that says "she's not here" repeatedly, which I'm assuming may be a reference to Stanley from SH3 and his obsession with Heather

the "beware of dog" sign on the door leading to Alex's backyard is a reference to a similar sign that appeared in SH1

there's a doghouse in Silent Hill next to the baitshop that Alex says "there's no dog here" when you inspect it, a reference to Harry saying "it looks like a doghouse, though I'm not sure since there's no dog here"
Droo

Post by Droo »

Movie reference: The Church in Silent Hill across the street for the power station looks exactly like the Church from the movie, with the exact same crosses as well as the siren horns above the door. I remember when I saw them I was like "If they try and say at this late date that the sirens are coming from this Church and always have come from this Church, I will burn down my city."

Thankfully they didn't.
Doo-glas wrote: in the hospital at the start of the game you can read a letter that says "she's not here" repeatedly, which I'm assuming may be a reference to Stanley from SH3 and his obsession with Heather
Also could be a reference to Harry. This is Alchemilla Hospital. Harry went there looking for Cheryl but she wasn't there.

Or, could merely be a reference to the song "You're Not Here".
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

^I didn't notice the siren horns on the church, I'll have to keep my eye out next time.
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

Drewfus wrote:Movie reference: The Church in Silent Hill across the street for the power station looks exactly like the Church from the movie, with the exact same crosses as well as the siren horns above the door. I remember when I saw them I was like "If they try and say at this late date that the sirens are coming from this Church and always have come from this Church, I will burn down my city."

Thankfully they didn't.
Doo-glas wrote: in the hospital at the start of the game you can read a letter that says "she's not here" repeatedly, which I'm assuming may be a reference to Stanley from SH3 and his obsession with Heather
Also could be a reference to Harry. This is Alchemilla Hospital. Harry went there looking for Cheryl but she wasn't there.

Or, could merely be a reference to the song "You're Not Here".
it also reminded me of the song title as well
Droo

Post by Droo »

The siren horns are just above the doors of the Church in Foggy Silent Hill. The best chance to see them is when the lights are still on before you turn off the power in the plant.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Morbid.Marionette
Just Passing Through

Post by Morbid.Marionette »

In the hospital at the start of the game, in the room with the baby incubators there's a burnt doll in one of them.
Which could symbolize Alyssa.
Scyron
Hope House Careworker

Post by Scyron »

Inner Eye wrote:No the Grand Hotel is from the Movie. The whole hidden room behind the painting was exactually like the movie. I mean did anyone else get the Moive Based Game vide from this one.
Yes and that is why I am sorely disappointed in it, for the larger part.

I really hope there is some sort of announcement claiming a split SH verse, one of the movies and this game with the rest untouched.
[img]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2263/scyronah6.gif[/img]
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

Morbid.Marionette wrote:In the hospital at the start of the game, in the room with the baby incubators there's a burnt doll in one of them.
Which could symbolize Alyssa.
funny that, I thought it was foreshadowing for the "doll boss" (Scarlett)
Morbid.Marionette
Just Passing Through

Post by Morbid.Marionette »

^ Originally I thought that too, but I kind of missed how
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Scarlet was killed.

So I figured it was Alyssa.
JamesisBetterThanHarry22
Just Passing Through

Post by JamesisBetterThanHarry22 »

The whole sewer level sort of reminded me of Toluca prison/labyrinth only with enhanced graphics and lighting.
Come Murphy. The town awaits you.
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Scyron wrote:
Inner Eye wrote:No the Grand Hotel is from the Movie. The whole hidden room behind the painting was exactually like the movie. I mean did anyone else get the Moive Based Game vide from this one.
Yes and that is why I am sorely disappointed in it, for the larger part.

I really hope there is some sort of announcement claiming a split SH verse, one of the movies and this game with the rest untouched.
The game took visual elements from the movie, plot-wise it had nothing to do with it.
Inner Eye
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Inner Eye »

Well, what I meant by Movie Based Game, was that not that is was a carbon copy of the movie, it just took quite a bit of ideas from the movie.
Resident Cajun and Wolf.
Goodnight
Historical Society Historian

Post by Goodnight »

It took some elements from the movie, yes, but they were mostly aesthetic ideas - the burning ground, the Order enemies, the Otherside transition and the nurses for example.

Even still, I wouldn't say it comes close to being so heavily influenced by the film that it's a 'movie-based game'.
restlesspromise
Just Passing Through

Post by restlesspromise »

I don't know if anyone else saw this but one of the child's drawings looks like Maria when she
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
died *again*
( And i think she got pulled apart or something. I couldn't really tell when i played.)
on the bed.

The description on the pic says something about stretching skin.
I think it looks a lot like that one scene.
overachiever547
Gravedigger

Post by overachiever547 »

This isn't a past game/SH movie reference, but a horror movie reference.

The 360 Achievement for finding the circular saw weapon on the second playthrough is named "Rising Tension," a reference to the Alexandre Aja film "High Tension," which is famous for a scene towards the end when a woman is chased by a man with a buzzsaw.
Hurm...