Silent Hill 5 Developers are now renamed 'Double Helix'

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Silent Hill 5 Developers are now renamed 'Double Helix'

Post by jdnation »

Shiny and The Collective have merged to form a new multi-platform development studio. Their new name is 'Double Helix Games'

http://kotaku.com/373214/shiny-%252B-th ... uble-helix
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

I love how even the article is so sure SHV's gonna suck.
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

shiny is in on this now? strange... although i have a love for them simply because of MDK.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Who's Shiny and what's MDK?
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

Forget MDK....EARTH WORM JIM!
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

Its still gonna suck
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I love how the people who are ~so damn sure~ the game will suck have no more information than the rest of us. :roll:
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Some people just have more fun bitching then praising.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

Not entirely. My problems are as the following:

1. Monsters aren't grimy enough

2. its been said that ash will be in 5 to represent the movie movie and sh1
the first game had snow not ash

3. The sexuality of the monsters is too obvious

4. to many references to the movie

5. nightmare world looks like Alessa's in one and three or the movie
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

LanceS133 wrote:Who's Shiny and what's MDK?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiny_Entertainment

also includes a link about MDK, one of the first computer games i ever played. tons of fun.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

ww_andi wrote:Not entirely. My problems are as the following:

Why is 5 a problem again?
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

LanceS133 wrote:Some people just have more fun bitching then praising.
To quote one of the people I hang out with: "Complaining about a game can be just as much fun as playing it."
Zogzor
Just Passing Through

Post by Zogzor »

Nobody here has even played the game, so you certainly haven't. The smart thing to do would be to wait till the actual game is released before saying what you don't like about it. Most of those aren't even bad, besides that things can change and become totally different.
Munchy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Munchy »

Ashmodean wrote:Forget MDK....EARTH WORM JIM!
YES

Although I think most of the people responsible for EWJ, like Dave Perry, have long since left Shiny.
hollywood-01

Post by hollywood-01 »

wth you guys have to stop saying negative things about silent hill 5 couse you couse have not played it.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Yeah, I know, that sure sounds terrible! :roll:
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

1. Not grimey enough? That's entirely subjective... They look fine to me, and more importantly the monsters designs are meant to be related to the main character's psyche, so more 'grimey' may not necessarily be fitting, and perhaps we haven't even seen all the different monsters yet.

2. This isn't the first game, and the characters aren't related; like the monsters, the state of the town and its environment are representative of the main character's psyche. Since the main character is a soldier who's been through war, the ash would be more fitting...

3. The sexuality thing is a bit obvious I agree... perhaps hinting at some kind of part of the character that's concerned with sex, but even then we may be getting ahead of ourselves... Usually a sexual depravity or fetish is indicative of other subconscious things being repressed within a person that on the surface are expressed as something else. Something a bit Freudian I suppose... Guess we'll have to wait and see...

4. The only blatent references are the nurses, and the transitions between the fog and dark world. The nurses are staple, if they want to directly use the movie version and it fits into the grand scheme of things then I have no problem. And the transitions were the best parts of the movie, I have no problem with them using anything that worked in the movie in the game. Perhaps Konami even wants some indirect references to the film in the game so people who have only known the Silent Hill film will be attracted to the game and more people will play it. As long as they find appropriate reasons for these things to fit into the canonical game's story then I'm fine with it.

5. So? And there could even be some reason for that too...

Also let us keep in mind the early development of Silent Hill 0rigins and what it was like then to what it turned out to be... things could radically change, but so far this game is looking promising.
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

1. Not grimey enough? That's entirely subjective... They look fine to me, and more importantly the monsters designs are meant to be related to the main character's psyche, so more 'grimey' may not necessarily be fitting, and perhaps we haven't even seen all the different monsters yet.
I have to agree with ww a bit here though I'm not concerned with the Grime so much as the features being too discernable. Although I did have the same concerens with Silent Hill 2 because of it's newer graphics but it turned out great so who knows. To me one of the scarier things about Silent Hill was not being able to identify most of the monsters that you come across. It's allways like "WTF WAS THAT!!!??" even after you kill it and stare at its lifeless body it was hard to make out exactly what kind of features it had. The strange faces of the nurses in Silent Hill 2 are a prime example.
2. This isn't the first game, and the characters aren't related; like the monsters, the state of the town and its environment are representative of the main character's psyche. Since the main character is a soldier who's been through war, the ash would be more fitting...
After learning of Alessa's true fate in SH1 I allways thought that the snow was there to represent ash. Kind of like that scene in Schindlers List when Oscar walks outside and it apears to be snowing but when he lokos closer it is really the ashes of burned bodies.
3. The sexuality thing is a bit obvious I agree... perhaps hinting at some kind of part of the character that's concerned with sex, but even then we may be getting ahead of ourselves... Usually a sexual depravity or fetish is indicative of other subconscious things being repressed within a person that on the surface are expressed as something else. Something a bit Freudian I suppose... Guess we'll have to wait and see...
I agree. It could even be a gender identification issue for all we know.
Jetsetlemming
Gravedigger

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I'm concerned about Silent Hill 5, due to the developer, the inclusion of QTE, and the so-far lack of any mention of a PC port. The Collective doesn't seem to have any good games at all under its belt, and Shiny's last three games - Enter the Matrix, Path of Neo, and The Golden Compass - were all very poorly taken (though all three had PC versions, which is a silver lining, I suppose). I didn't play Path of Neo or The Golden Compass, but I have a copy of Enter the Matrix and it's complete unplayable shit. I literally couldn't beat the game due to an AI bug that caused the AI driver in the car sequences to run itself into walls then park (occasionally upside-down) until the pursuing enemies (which had far better pathfinding abilities) killed me.

On the other hand, it only takes one look at a screenshot such as this one to inspire pure, unadulterated fanboy delight.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
The environmental design in everything I've seen of SH5 make giddy with excitement, especially the look of the town itself.

I don't mind references to the direction/art style of the Silent Hill movie- that stuff was absolutely fantastic. The script and dialog was atrocious, a rape of the series and Silent Hill 1, and a complete abomination- but considering this is an entirely different story, I don't think the SH movie script will be able to worm an influence into the game.

Hopefully.
It’s being invaded by the Otherworld. By a world of someone’s
nightmarish delusions come to life.
-Harry Mason
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Well Path of neo was a great enjoyable game, only limited by the fact that it tried to do things that last gen consoles couldn't quite handle... In Enter the Matrix's defense, it was a very rushed project to conicide with the films release but from teh lot of movie-games it's one of the best. Also Shiny has been known for great games in the past but for awhile was running into financial issues which could've hindered development of later games. As for the Collective, after Silent Hill 0rigins I honestly feel they're off to a great start despite the few gameplay issues. They've nailed down everything else though...

As for QTE, have they confirmed it for SH5 or was it just something they tried out for 0rigins? I'm also not too keen on it... but it was not so blatantly used in 0rigins so they know how to restrain themselves.