Stuck on Silent Hill 2

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Chris Sunderland
Historical Society Historian

Stuck on Silent Hill 2

Post by Chris Sunderland »

Now, looking at the various topics, Pros and Cons subjects and what not, I see once again that people are hoping for Silent Hill 2 2, in a manner of speaking. I agree with this in some form, but not like how most would expect. I think what made SH2 what it was was the fact that it was so very different from SH1 in theme and subject matter. It was a sequel, but it stood on it's own. The bloody red grated walls were replaced by green muck and rust over white sheets(example). The story wasn't about a man trying to save his daughter from a evil cult, it was about a man trying to find the truth of himself.

In my opinion, SHV needs to be it's own game. Sure it should be Silent Hill at the core, but it should have it's own style to it, not just a next gen SH1/2/3. I think SH2 showed that hell could be different depending on who is in it, and I think SHV should explore this deeper, not just giving an update to the old metal/bloody otherworld. At the same time I think stearing away from the cult is a good idea, but mimicing SH2's story is not, I'm not saying that's what's happening, I'm just saying it's a high possibilty. Inspiration is one thing, copying is another. I just fear that with all the pressure from fans we might end up with SH2 in a new suit, instead of something truely obscure and original, which in my belief is good for the series, at least in terms of look and feel, and not in a Silent Hill 4 way :wink: .

Probably just preaching to the cultists, but I really just hope that SHV does more than give me some more hints into the towns secerts, more than a few good jumps. I want something that sticks with me, something I'll be talking about in 6 years later.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

You needed your own thread to say that? :lol:
I agree tho, it's own game would be nice, jsut as long as it has depth and emotion like SH2 :P
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

I agree, too. It....needs to be original, definitely.
Munchy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Stuck on Silent Hill 2

Post by Munchy »

Chris Sunderland wrote: In my opinion, SHV needs to be it's own game. Sure it should be Silent Hill at the core, but it should have it's own style to it, not just a next gen SH1/2/3. I think SH2 showed that hell could be different depending on who is in it, and I think SHV should explore this deeper, not just giving an update to the old metal/bloody otherworld.
QFT.
Zogzor
Just Passing Through

Post by Zogzor »

SHV should be safe as long as it's able to become it's own game, like you said, but also borrow elements from other Silent Hill's, and add its own. It seems as each Silent Hill game came out it became it's own game, keeping old elements and shedding ones that weren't great, or sometimes were. But for example, when SH4 came out it really didn't have many old elements, and had too many "new" elements, which really decreased the quality for me.

What I'm trying to say is I don't want SHV to be exactly like the others, but remember what could happen if it changes too much. We don't want another Silent Hill 4 on our hands, but we don't want a redundant Silent Hill. So, like I said, if it can find a balance I think we will all be very, very, happy. :wink:
Munchy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Munchy »

I wouldn't say it's the new stuff in SH4 that bothers me. It's that the sound effects are incredibly cheesy and/or generic, the levels repeat to make up the 2nd half of the game, and the ghosts are much more annoying than scary. It's like a screwed-up, Freudian version of Pac Man. But not very good.

So, yeah, some of the new stuff bothers me, but only because it was poorly executed. I kinda wish Konami hadn't tried to slap the Silent Hill name on it; would've been much cooler as an individual game.

The landlord, Frank Sunderland, has some classic lines, though. "Errrrrrr the umbilical corrrd I keep in my closet... errrrrrrrrrrr.... it's startin' to smell pretty bad."
Zogzor
Just Passing Through

Post by Zogzor »

Yeah, you're definitely right about the levels repeating. Not only did that turn me off from it a lot, the fact that you didn't even step foot in the town of Silent Hill, in a SILENT HILL game bothered me a lot, haha. I'd like to be able to explore the town, figure things out, have some independence, etc, like in Silent Hill 1. That's how the games are meant to be played.
Chris Sunderland

Zogzor wrote:SHV should be safe as long as it's able to become it's own game, like you said, but also borrow elements from other Silent Hill's, and add its own. It seems as each Silent Hill game came out it became it's own game, keeping old elements and shedding ones that weren't great, or sometimes were. But for example, when SH4 came out it really didn't have many old elements, and had too many "new" elements, which really decreased the quality for me.

What I'm trying to say is I don't want SHV to be exactly like the others, but remember what could happen if it changes too much. We don't want another Silent Hill 4 on our hands, but we don't want a redundant Silent Hill. So, like I said, if it can find a balance I think we will all be very, very, happy. :wink:
I'm not so much talking about the gameplay, but the atmosphere and style of SHV. To me SH4's problem was, as Munchy said that it lacked polish in it's new elements. However the story was great, and I did enjoy it. SH3, to me, is the low point in the series because it's like a updated SH1. It didn't feel original, and everything felt done before. It was pretty though :) . What I'm getting at is that they should dig deeper, and not play it too safe with the atmosphere. Create something new, and fresh. I'm not saying change it to the point that it's not SH, but enough to where I don't feel like I'm playing the same fucking game again. Case in point, Metal Gear Solid 3. It was alot like 1&2, but the change in enviroment made it different.
Varg6
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Varg6 »

If anything, yes, they should stick with Silent Hill 2 as in being completely original and having their own Silent Hill...yet it still being nonetheless Silent Hill. It needs to branch off meaning that we're in the new age of consoles where graphics are more realistic, environments are more hands on (grabbing a pipe for example from the wall), and the AI is more intelligent. With that in mind, all of that has the ingredients to make a phenomenal Silent Hill. Like I said in another post, I think the moving camera on your own thing is a smart but dangerous move. They have to make it perfect. We should be able to see all of the environments but still have that same "trapped" feeling if you will...
Det Som Engang Var...
Chris Sunderland

Yes, it is dangerous, but I think if you can make a game scary, without having to use tricks as with the camera, then you gotta give them props.
Zogzor
Just Passing Through

Post by Zogzor »

Yeah, I know you meant the atmosphere and such, as did I. I was just using the gameplay for an example.
Chris Sunderland

As far as gameplay goes (not to delve off the subject), I think they are going in the right direction updating the camera and the fighting, it looks solid.
Zogzor
Just Passing Through

Post by Zogzor »

Yup, the character design also seems to be going well. Last off topic post, I swear. :P

Now, on topic. As long as they keep open ears and listen to what fans have to say and observe past Silent Hill's, the game should have it's own style but still be SH at heart. :)
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Yeah another SH2 fan-game would definitely suck balls.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

After watching the clips of SHV it looks as though there will be plenty of original material. There are a few things however that remind me of previous SH titles.
One, the shift looks identical to the movies shift which leads me to question if the
designers were inspried by the movie, or the games prior.

The scene where Alex is handing his brother a Robbie through the bars seems a little familular, from SH2 with Laura.

I am just hoping that it is not a plagiary of the first 4 SH titles plus movie. I would like to see a whole new take and angle. Hopefully they can pull that off at(What are they called now?) Double Helix?
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".
Zogzor
Just Passing Through

Post by Zogzor »

Well, you have to admit the shifts to the Otherworld in the movie were pretty cool, so I mean they can still use things from other games and still have their own game. Besides, I'd like to see a few familiar things.
Devilsknight
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Devilsknight »

People dont even know what they want about SHV anymore ^^ They want a original game, but it has to be "good" as Silent Hill 2 with a "twist". They dont want monsters that remind them of the other games and the movie, but still they want to be reminded of Silent Hill. They want the game to have new things, that we havent seen in any other games, but still "borrowing" things from the movie is "bad".
I mean, how will they ever make a "twist" in the story when SH fans are ready for almost everything ( just look at some theoris posted about the game already, soon we will have one about the protogonist beeing Pyramidheads abandoned lovechild or something ).
And what new things could they acually add for SHV that would be new and create, still SH, original but not to cheezy ? Bloody Rain ? Babies jumping down from the city houses ? ^_O
Have some things from the movie isnt that bad, after all the movie is a "step forward" when it comes to the transition between "Foggy" and "Evil" , before that we had the characters pass out or whatever and waking up in a "new enviorments", but now it all happens in real time.

Could add more stuff, but I have to take a smoke =)
When I grow up I want to be Mockingbird.
Chris Sunderland

To the contrary, I know what I want. To be surprised. I want the developers to dig deep in thier minds and create something fucked up, beautiful, and interesting. If they can pull that off I'd be happy.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Chris Sunderland wrote:To the contrary, I know what I want. To be surprised. I want the developers to dig deep in thier minds and create something fucked up, beautiful, and interesting. If they can pull that off I'd be happy.
Yeah totally. A great example of this line of thinking is the Animatrix. The took the exact same underlying notion of those shitty films, and made nine brilliant and totally original animations. As long as it works the same and has the same, very refined engine under the hood, I say go nuts.

Very much doubt they will though, what with the nurses, dogs and little kids.
Smoky
Just Passing Through

Post by Smoky »

I was a little apprehensive and a little excited at the same time. I'm loving that it has the same sterile, hospital look as SH2 (from what I've seen), but at the same time I really want to be surprised with this one. I want stuff that's different from every Silent Hill that's ever happened before, but which still has the Silent Hill feel. I'm kinda contradicting myself there, I know. I want to be drawn back into that world and be scared and interested and not be able to put the controller down (like I did with SH4 - put it down and never picked it up again).

I want I want I want. Jeez. I'm a needy fan. :P
Listen, all I want out of life is for my bank account to have 58,008 dollars in it, so that when I read my statement upside down, it says "BOOBS".