Silent Hill 5: Pros (What you like)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

BloodRedScarlet
Just Passing Through

Post by BloodRedScarlet »

kideatsu wrote:LOL! Wow that's awesome. I felt the same with Alex and (wait I'm gonna shut up.)
But yeah Alex was my Judge Halloway if you know what I mean.

Oh yeah! I also find a pro in this game being that the main guy character, again, was pretty attractive, which I expected from a Silent Hill game. Some games have pretty ugly protagonists, but SH has never failed me...
I second your shit TENFOLD.

Harry, James, Henry, Alex, Travis. I swear, they all have their own certain appeal to them. :roll:
[color=pink]I know. [u]I know[/u].
There's [b]something[/b] I've forgotten
Like [i]a time[/i], [i]a place[/i]...?
A [i][b]shattered memory[/b][/i].[/color]
[img]http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae216/ScarletMetal/Dahliabedcopy.jpg[/img]
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

They should all be in one room together at once. Bliss. :mrgreen:
Dr. Eggnog

Post by Dr. Eggnog »

A motel room?

Henry: "James, stop watching that video and crying and come back to bed!"

Yeah, Alex had his own cool appearance.
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

Dr. Eggnog wrote:A motel room?

Henry: "James, stop watching that video and crying and come back to bed!"

Yeah, Alex had his own cool appearance.
LMAO! That's so appropriate. It's like what happens afterwards and they all meet and learn they were all in SH, and "cope" with eachother to get over the trauma of being in SH. ahahaahaha....
Loveless_Dogg
Historical Society Historian

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

I walked back into this place at a wrong time, but anywhoo... I've been Weighing my options lately on whether or not I should invest an interest in SH:Homecoming. I've been thinking about getting it bu I'm not sure if it will bore me to tears the way that SH: Origins did.
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Definitely not boring, the difficulty of the monsters should keep you on your toes.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

Get it - it's worth it as a survival horror game itself, despite the reaction fans had.
Nocturnal_Blue
Just Passing Through

Post by Nocturnal_Blue »

Go for it. Its better to play it and see how it is rather than to miss out on such an experience.

And yeah, i totally agree with the people above, Allex is a pretty hot character XD
The whole time i was wishing a scene would come up:
"Josh, Josh! Where are you! Oh, Damn! I slipped and all my cloths got torn off! No Matter!*KeepsRunning* JOSH!"

XD
Brahmec
Just Passing Through

Post by Brahmec »

Overall I think of Homecoming as a great game, nice backstory, beautifull and creepy cutscenes, kickass soundtrack, just what I'd expect from a Silent Hill game. It does have it's own share of problems, and at first I thought of Alex as a sad excuse for a main character, later in the game though, he proves me wrong.
===================================================
Suffering is a fact of life. Either you learn to deal with that or you go under.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Homecoming is a great game, I don't understand why people don't like it. The combat system is damn fun!

I liked everything about Homecoming, the weapons, the fights, the characters, the story, the unlockables. Everything. I hope that Double Helix makes another SH game for the PS3 and for the Xbox360. If they make another one I'll definitely buy it without questioning.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

I played Homecoming once before today, not too in depth, and I thought it was alright. I got it in the mail today, and I've been playing it non stop.

I like the intensity (minus a few combat flaws) of the game, it's way more intense than any other Silent Hill game, as it gets my heart pumping more than any other. It's not as psychologically deep, but I do actually like the story, and most of the characters. I like Alex, but I'm wondering what's up Josh's ass. I have a few theories, probably having to do with Alex perhaps repressing some bad memories involving him... anyway, don't spoil it for me!

The monster designs are really good, too. They are pretty freaky. I loved the Lurkers especially, and Schisms are creepy. I've made it up to the point where you team up with Wheeler, where the Schisms first come out. When we got separated, I could have sworn I saw a Closer??

I love the music, atmosphere, graphics, and the ability to look around in first-person view. I love bosses so far (okay, boss, since I've only killed Sepulcher), and I love combat when it works. Maybe I've just got to play around with dodging more, but it really annoys me sometimes and then I get set back a good 20 minutes. That, so far, however is my only gripe.

I am genuinely surprised at Homecoming's quality and it was well worth my 20 dollar gift card.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
Ocelot
Just Passing Through

Post by Ocelot »

I played a little bit of it. My friends were getting into it but kept on getting stuck on some boss battles and tough enemies. Being able to dodge and stuff comes in handy. Had to defeat some bosses for them and was victorious, that big thing that whacked the mayor and that lanky monster that ate that doctor. The more you're in control of your character during battle, the more fun it can actually be.
[i]"Oh no! It's a bear on a jet pack!"[/i]
freako104
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by freako104 »

I liked the combat, Alex's relationship with his family, the overall atmosphere, and how it reminded me of the movie in areas while not drawing too much from it.
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

Nocturnal_Blue wrote:Go for it. Its better to play it and see how it is rather than to miss out on such an experience.

And yeah, i totally agree with the people above, Allex is a pretty hot character XD
The whole time i was wishing a scene would come up:
"Josh, Josh! Where are you! Oh, Damn! I slipped and all my cloths got torn off! No Matter!*KeepsRunning* JOSH!"

XD
I wish!
Andrashi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Andrashi »

I finished it the other night...

I enjoyed it! I loved some of the visuals, like the giant church with the red stormy sky... I apreciated the "SH2 feeling"... that feeling of extreme calm sometimes... it was a pretty good experience!
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

This is gonna sound a little weird but I consider the ability to look upwards a huge pro in this game. Allow me to elaborate...

Silent Hill always had kinda lame cameras (as the Survival Horror genre in general seems to have suffered from until Resident Evil 4 mixed things up a little), and the world of Silent Hill I've always felt kinda detached from, as immersive as the games have been. Silent Hill 4's apartment seemed so visceral and so much more eerie and I could never quite work out why, and I realised it's because due to the first person you could have a good look around and feel like you're really 'in' that game world.

Homecoming uses the "strafelook" control scheme halfway between Resident Evil 4 and a first person shooter. I was completely sceptical about this when I saw the early footage (frankly I just wanted a remake of SH2 like the rest of us SH nerds seem to) but playing it I realise that the world of Silent Hill has totally come to life now that you can look around as you walk. I remember the ominous moment of looking up at the tattered US flag flying outside of the police station amongst the mist, or looking up at the church, seeing how tall it was.

The first person perspective adds even more to that (I can't count the number of times in Silent Hill 3 I saw something disturbing or awesome in the background and begged to be able to get a closer look) and this is the most immersed I've felt in the classic Silent Hill universe. I'm sure Shattered Memories is probably more immersive but it's a very different world.

It's frightened me on about the same level as SH1, 3, 4 and 0rigins did, so I'm happy with the fear level as well. It's not got me the same way as Silent Hill 2 did, but I don't think anything else ever will.
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

Andrashi wrote:I finished it the other night...

I enjoyed it! I loved some of the visuals, like the giant church with the red stormy sky... I apreciated the "SH2 feeling"... that feeling of extreme calm sometimes... it was a pretty good experience!
The church to me was the best visual of the game!
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Man, I just played Hell' Descent again and I must say that I really love that level... Everything is perfect: The signs, the "Behind you" scene, the steampunk feeling, the damn noise that makes you jump after you get the crowbar, the clock ticking in the end of the level...

Everything is perfct until you open the door and find Filch...
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

KageReneko wrote:Man, I just played Hell' Descent again and I must say that I really love that level... Everything is perfect: The signs, the "Behind you" scene, the steampunk feeling, the damn noise that makes you jump after you get the crowbar, the clock ticking in the end of the level...

Everything is perfct until you open the door and find Filch...
Completely agree. That was an amazingly crafted level. And Scarlet.... best Silent Hill boss ever!
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I agree with the last two posts! I find Hell Descent to be one of the best areas in any Silent Hill game, and Scarlet to probably be the best boss in the series as well. I thought the Dr. Fitch scene was cool as well, if you imagine him slightly less well voice-acted and Engrishify the dialogue a bit you have a scene which wouldn't have been out of place in SH3, in my opinion.

The church was amazing too, it felt so alive and so ominous, and the layout was a nice cross between SH3's church and that from the movie.

Actually I think the whole game did a good job of being halfway between the games and the movie; you can do it either way - Homecoming can be seen as Silent Hill 5 or as a sequel to the movie, or even as a standalone game, since the beliefs of The Order and the history of the town are treated so much more ambiguously.

Another Pro for me (perhaps a con in Japan purists' book) are the nods to horror movies. Perhaps it could be seen as derivative but it's tradition in American horror to always reference and pay homage to the things which inspired you. Homecoming begins with an anything-but-subtle Jacob's Ladder moment, and towards the end starts to bring in some modern American horror pop culture with it's Hostel-like lair and even a couple of SAW-like death contraptions. I see this as Scream-style homaging, though I understand if some see it as more derivative/a ripoff. To me, this made it the ultimate horror game.