If SHV flops, is this series dead?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Post by Son_of_Kauffman »

Even if Four isn´t as beautiful like the rest of the current series, it is still a good game and is better than any other survival horror game around.

SHV HAS to be excellent, to recover from the SH4 downpoint. It has been worked through almost four years(SH4 was made in less than a year) and it is going to use the latest graphics available, so I think it will be COOL.
Spetsnaz of the Interior Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia
Spetsnaz sil Vnutrenniye Voiska Ministerstva Vnutrennikh Del

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

The thing that Im worring about is team climax fucking up the world of silent hill. the freedom that they are given kind of scares me.
Consider it a double-edged sword. If Climax and The Collective don't get creative freedom, then they'll be less enthusiastic about the project (it's not theirs) and the result will have no soul. Really, letting them do as they will with a few guidelines is the best way to go about it. Origins was scary for awhile (and not in the good way), but it seems to have found its way, and the previews are promising. Likewise, the new information on SHV also looks promising. There's some talent behind these games, make no mistake about it.

So, on the off chance that these new projects don't come together and turn into this strange little mess of flesh and half-used plot elements, yeah, I'll probably still buy the next one... hell, even if it's made by the same studio (people are capable of learning from their mistakes). To cry that a series is dead because it hasn't been doing what you think is best is just arrogant and really bitchy...
Pyramid Hunter
Just Passing Through

Post by Pyramid Hunter »

it wont!!! its starting to look very promising!
Ya' know, if you keep looking at Pyramid Head, you're destined to see red.

JUST FUCKING RUN!!!!!
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Pyramid Hunter wrote:it wont!!! its starting to look very promising!
i agree.. i've already gone back to my way of thinking before i saw the initial three screens. This game is now again, my most anticipated next gen release.
LaraeGunn
Subway Guard

Post by LaraeGunn »

valiturus wrote:Personally, I liked all the rumors better than what V is actually going to be about; the rumors expressed that the story was going to surround around the story of a young man who is a patient at Brookhaven's mental ward. I would've loved to experience Silent Hill through the mind of a mental patient...

How deliciously twisted that would've been...

How do we know that Alex hasn't spent any time in the ward?
Veterans tend to have flashbacks.

Anyway, I don't really want to make guesses, but I can't help it. I'm actually exited for this game.
YHWH

Post by YHWH »

There is no way that I am dropping the money for a 360 or a PS3 so the only way I will end up playing this new one anytime soon is if a buddy of mine gets it. Silent Hill just isn't what it used to be to me anymore. I've been seeing a slow and steady decline in quality since 2.
Justicar333
Just Passing Through

Post by Justicar333 »

SH 4 didn't kill the series, and neither will five if it turns out to flop. Though like many others, I'm expecting it to actually be the best since SH 3. As to Origins, won't know till they make a PS2 port. :wink:
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

I hope it has SH3-style graphics.

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

valiturus wrote:Personally, I liked all the rumors better than what V is actually going to be about; the rumors expressed that the story was going to surround around the story of a young man who is a patient at Brookhaven's mental ward. I would've loved to experience Silent Hill through the mind of a mental patient...

How deliciously twisted that would've been...
I believe those rumors about a mental patient that were thought to be for Silent Hill 5 are not for 5, but actually more in line with Travis in Silent Hill: 0rigins. Just watch the trailers or check out the first 9 mins of the game from IGN and the radio conversation.
Heather_Mason
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: If SHV flops, is this series dead?

Post by Heather_Mason »

Skele wrote:Would you be as willing to buy the next SH game (assuming there's another made after V) if V is a huge disappointment?

Do you think that Team Silent will take the series back and hope to re-establish it as the best in the survival horror genre? SH4:TR wasn't a bad game, but it's already been established that most didn't enjoy it as much as they did the previous three. RE4 was a great game, and RE5 (even with the idiots who scream racism) looks to be an amazing game as well.

just a thought
Well, I guess even if it was a disappointment, which I have a feeling it won't be by what I've seen so far, I'd still continue to be into Silent Hill and buy the games they continue to make. I have hopes that Team Silent will come back. But, I don't think we have anything to worry about, SHV looks really amazing.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/fass007/h_sig.jpg[/img]
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

SH series are inmortal.

Moosefrenzy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Moosefrenzy »

The series flops when Akira Yamaoka resigns.
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

The series, as we know it, is over when nearly everyone involved in its inception has lost interest and has moved on to other things. Konami giving the green light to some American fans with a dev team and Akira Yamaoka collecting a check for giving them the wink doesn't count for much in terms of authorship, in regards to which I don't see how the whole project is anything but a disrespect to the series. Sure, SH5 may end up being good or bad, but neither one is a reason to attribute anything to the legacy of its borrowed setting. It's not a Silent Hill game.

How would people react if Nickelback announced that they were going to cut the next Led Zeppelin record? This all-too-common dynamic in game development may not seem quite so laughable on the surface, but it's every bit as absurd. Nickelback might try to sounds just like Led Zeppelin, taking a sensitive approach to really 'get inside' the creative currents of the 1970's, recording their shit into a bucket in an attempt to capture a sound reminiscent of a time when four English guys were actually inspired to create some great music -- but it's not the same, and it doesn't speak anything for the original artist. Team Silent are done with the game, and, as far as I'm concerned, Silent Hill rests with them. They can pass the name out afterward all they want, but whatever anyone else comes up with from this point on is no more relevant than what any of us would do.

Do I care if Silent Hill 5 flops financially? Not really. A little bit, but not much. I’ll accept it for what it is and give it a fair chance to impress me.
Last edited by Lifetolifeless on 11 Sep 2007, edited 1 time in total.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
RedPyramidThing
Just Passing Through

Post by RedPyramidThing »

If SHV flops, the series will be far from dead. SH4 wasn't a "flop"... it was just a little lack-luster compared to the amazing quality we were used to seeing. Compared to most 3rd person adventure games at the time, SH4 was amazing... Besides, SH has been such a cash cow for Konami in terms of games, movies, comics, CDs, etc., I highly doubt they will let the series die. A perfect example is Tomb Raider... how many flops did that series have? And it is still kicking, for better or for worse. I, personally, will always, at the very least, rent the newest Silent Hill in order to pass judgement for myself. I have so many fond memories of the series, it would be hard for me to just let it go with a few poor games... and RE4 is a perfect example of how a series can bounce back after a slump. I believe Silent Hill will be around for a long while yet.
Some fear death. Others pray for it.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

I'm willing to buy V after 4, so yeah. I will.
As long as the series exists, I'll give it a chance.
The series flops when Akira Yamaoka resigns.
Sadly, I'm inclined to agree. As long as they have him as the musical director and in a consultation capacity, I think the series will remain true to the Silent Hill we know and love. I hope Origins and V do really well, so he's encouraged to stay. My fear is that they'll do poorly, he'll decide the series can't work without the old developers and leave.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Well from what I've seen of screenshots.. it looks decent graphic's wise. However the story seems a bit lacking.. saying that this dude goes to sh loooking for his brother and his mother is catatonic.. doesnt sound interesting.. then again.. Sh 2 didn't really seem all that interesting story wise.. however the stuff going on inside that story was very interesting.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

However the story seems a bit lacking.. saying that this dude goes to sh loooking for his brother and his mother is catatonic..
The plot tag for SH3 was just that Heather was stuck in a scary place she didn’t understand - that’s no more intriguing, maybe even less so, and the plot was pretty damn interesting. Silent Hill has never lacked a detailed plot, I doubt it will now. Besides, it’s still in development and they can’t give too much away.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

ye have little faith. Even if (and I can nearly guearanty it wont) it flops, you cant just give it up and if you did then you cant really call yourself a Silent Hil guru then can you? Ill buy ecery game and ever system untill the day I die... unless they fuck it up so bad untill the 7th potential game. But if this is bad, then we need to bring back team silent.
DeathsHand
Just Passing Through

Post by DeathsHand »

If the quality declines, and SHX is released exclusively on the PS4, but I only own an Xbox 1080 snowboarding shifty woo, I won't go hundreds of dollars out of my way to play the game...

But, assuming they are released on a system I own, I'll snatch 'em up as they come along...

Besides, in my opinion turning a completely unrelated game into Silent Hill 4 because starting a new franchise is too much of a financial risk is more of a "sin" than passing the next pure Silent Hill installment off to another development team... But I came out of that unscathed...
I also lived through Halloweens 1-8 *points to DVD shelf*... I can live through any cheese the future of the Silent Hill series has to offer... It's all part of the experience...
[url=http://dontstopthebeating.ytmnd.com/]My teachers told me it was my responsibility to make sure I was being challenged, so I dropped out, and now life is really hard.[/url]
Satoris
Just Passing Through

Post by Satoris »

I'd buy used oil if the case had "Silent Hill" written on it.....
But, in my opinion, the series has been declining since the comic books, SH: Origins, and that arcade shooter they put out.