38%
Music was fine.
62%

Total votes: 60

put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Silence is always good...

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

In the movie I caught more than a few times that they could have skipped the music to make it creepier. Some of the music I heard was only there to take up the dead-air time, but that is the point of SH. Dead-air. The sound your own breathing and Rose's footsteps... Maybe a heartbeat or two.
I dunno, what do you guys think?
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
MetallicaManiac
Just Passing Through

Post by MetallicaManiac »

Yeah, I think it could have went better if there was no music at times. That's what made Silent Hill creepy as hell in the first place. Plus I didn't find it dark enough either. But I dstill liked it anyway, becauase it was true to the game anyway.
"How come when it's us, it's an abortion......and when it's a chicken, it's an omlette?" - George Carlin
Quemaqua
Just Passing Through

Post by Quemaqua »

I thought some of the music was poorly chosen for some of the places they put it. That bothered me more than a lack of silence. Though I was glad, at least, to hear music from the games. Still wish Yamaoka would have given us a few new tracks, though. As for silence, I don't think it mattered much. I don't think it would have actually made the movie scary just because it was more quiet. Personally I think there should have been *more* noise overall. The only part that got my hair to raise was all the screaming in the beginning. I thought it was a good bit more convincing than what you generally get in horror flicks.
I am not the reaper... but the monkey *might* be.
Major Konings
Just Passing Through

Post by Major Konings »

man i would've given anything for more silence just because whatever was playing in the theater beside me was super loud so during some parts in the movie we couldn't hear! So i liked the silence of the movie and thought there should of been more but since people are deaf in the concert beside me we couldn't hear.
What it does:
[spoiler]
"It puts the lotion on its skin, else it gets the hose again!" silence of the lambs
[/spoiler]

Just in case you don't know, You can get a brand new copy of GH: silent hill from

http://www.konamistyle.com/b2c_kden/b2c/init.do
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Some parts of the movie where there was silence just made me unconfortable - like the matrix scene.

But I agree the silence did make me more creeped out, especially the part when Rose went into the 'darkness' for the first time and she walked around with only a lighter. Man that lighter didn't blow out even when she was running lol

Ooo I forgot to mention the scene with the nurses, man, that was soo good and original.
Captain Rio
Just Passing Through

Post by Captain Rio »

I liked most of the music placement.
Those who have made no error have made nothing.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Alessa's Father wrote:Man that lighter didn't blow out even when she was running lol
I've held a zippo out the window of my car, and it still stayed lit.
Hjartu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Hjartu »

My only problem was the music was that they overused Promise reprise.
I have to admit, I was rolling my eyes by the third time it played.
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/hjartu/junjisig.jpg[/img]
Hometown
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hometown »

I agree wholeheartedly with you there. It was kind of annoying.
[img]http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5659/sig6ku.gif[/img]
pwn3d91
Just Passing Through

Post by pwn3d91 »

Well, it was the first time I heard that song (once again I've only played 1 :P) and I was just so into the movie that it didn't bother me at all, I actually loved it.
FACT:Jesus indeed does NOT love the little children.
Anonymous

Re: Silence is always good...

Post by Anonymous »

Personally, I thought that there's been a very good job with the sound... Like that part where Rose hits her head while running away from the demons...

not too much, not not enough, just perfect IMO...
silentlynx
Just Passing Through

Post by silentlynx »

I was starting to get annoyed with the promise reprise song as well. The first time I heard it, I was like, "Oh, I love this song," but it got annoying later. More silence would have made the movie more creepy, just like the games. But at some times, the music was just fine.
Nanjiz
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Nanjiz »

Since I love the SH-music I think it's great with music in the movie ^^ But at those scary parts, it's actually better with silence :roll:
Power and chaos!
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

They used the music wrong in my opinion. Yeah, Promise Reprise was used wrong and too much.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
nowhere
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by nowhere »

I hope that movie has own music, but no that very big disapointment.
I dont vote this time because i think both are very good when those are use right.
http://p2.foorumi.info/silenthillsuomi/index.php

silent hill forum in finland
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

I just thought the music was used in quite a crude way. It all seemed jammed in there without much consideration for what was going on or maintaining a flow. In fact I'd say the lead sound editor did exactly that, just took Yamaoka's tracks and jammed them wherever. Not what I'd really call a film score. Made it feel more like a trailer in places.

And on a dorky sidenote, there is very rarely ever total silence in films.
Last edited by Breaka on 04 Aug 2008, edited 2 times in total.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I enjoyed the music very much!
I would feel that if there wasn't any music, or a different style than it would lose the feeling of Silent Hill.
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

I was just grateful they used music from the games. Everybody wants movies to be as much like the games as possible and the music was a nice touch. I was souped while watching it for the first time and recognizing the music.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

LanceS133 wrote:I was souped while watching it for the first time and recognizing the music.
Yeah, same here. And I thought it was used pretty decently for the most part.
I did get a little tired of hearing Promise Reprise too, but if you pay attention to the parts it's used at, you'll realize that it's Alessa's theme music in the movie. At least that was the conclusion I came to a little while ago. I'd have to watch it again and make sure it doesn't play out of that context, but I do know that that was its main purpose, and is why you'll hear it multiple times.
silenced angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Silence is always good...

Post by silenced angel »

I think they used a lot of music, like they just wanted to make sure we know is the actual music from the game. I disliked the over use of Promise (reprise) as well, but I admit at least they made a good arrangement of it in one of the scenes.

Overall, I think they should have used mainly music from the first game with only a few melodies from the other games, also I like Theme of Laura (reprise) a lot more than Promise (reprise).
nanook in heaven...