Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 21 Aug 2018

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: Lets talk about the comics

Missing since: 25 Sep 2004
Notes left: 723
Last seen at: Silent Hill in the Wish house
I was recently told that the comics arn't canon. Although it doesn't make me mad or anything I was wondering exactly how they conflict with pre-existing Silent Hill timeline or characters which would make them uncanon.

Canon to most people is up to most people on what they want to believe, I'd just like to see what this forum of fine Silent Hill fans thinks about the comics and their canonness(word?).

P.S. I was told they arn't canon because, (edit; can't find the chat logs to quote) The person told me along the lines of them just being "garbage" and that they themself didn't enjoy them.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Oct 2004
Notes left: 2132
Last seen at: In the Cave of Rendezvous
Canon? är du från Sverige? Kanon?

Anyway... the main thing about the comics is that the language is totally written by some jerk who probably never played the games. Alot of "Fuck" and other bad language. It makes the whole dialouge feel like written by some teenager thinking about Silent Hill like:
"Oh, such a cool fucking game, I can kill monsters with shotgun... oh fuck, here comes pyramid head, oh, hell, I want to see a whole army of those motherfuckers".
Then there is the apperhence of monsters that is just random and not all according to who the person is. The town and it's force and cult and everything is just gone... left behind is a story about how a group of teenagers in punk suits visits Silent Hill, because it's a satanistic hellhole. Thats one of the stories...

It's just so lame and bad you wanna tear it apart... don't bother looking into it.
The only thing I can say was any good were the artwork, otherwise... burn every copy and forget it's existance. It isn't worthy of a Silent hill title.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Well I don't think I could burn them ;__; but I agree that the monsters arn't all that unique to each person.

I do agree the language is a bit childish or poorly used. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the comics, it is kind of discouraging to see that they were produced without much help from Team Silent, other than the go ahead.

I actually don't like the artwork that much because I feel disoriented at what I am seeing, although that is probably what they tried to achive sort of like Adrian Lynn did with Jacob's Ladder only allowing for a glimpse at what was presented.

Post subject:

Your a fan of the comics? YOU CULT HEATHEN! You will suffer fire in the house of Gallespie!

(just kidding :mrgreen: )

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Scyron wrote:
Well I don't think I could burn them ;__; but I agree that the monsters arn't all that unique to each person.

I do agree the language is a bit childish or poorly used. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the comics, it is kind of discouraging to see that they were produced without much help from Team Silent, other than the go ahead.

I actually don't like the artwork that much because I feel disoriented at what I am seeing, although that is probably what they tried to achive sort of like Adrian Lynn did with Jacob's Ladder only allowing for a glimpse at what was presented.

Actually I'm not, sorry if I mislead you.

Post subject:

Oh... read it wrong... it's me who must be sorry.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Aug 2005
Notes left: 751
Last seen at: Connecticut
I personally hated them.

The art wasn't terrible- it was fairly good, actually.

I just wish it were a little.... to put it simply, smarter.
The language ruined it for me.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jun 2005
Notes left: 308
Last seen at: Lakeside Amusement Park
I'm not saying that I like them, but I started to see some real SHish philosophical stuff in paint it black.

(And art sucks, stories sucks, dialogues sucks)

Thanks to Andrashi for my kick ass avatar!

Post subject:

No, I really liked the artwork... it was quite surreal and dirty. But good artwork doesn't make a good comic. It sucks asses streched over 10 dimensions.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2005
Notes left: 1378
Last seen at: Philadelphia
I would have liked them if they were based on the games themselves. Or making them novels like the RE series.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Dr. Loomis wrote:
I would have liked them if they were based on the games themselves. Or making them novels like the RE series.

Yeah if only S.D. Perry could write Silent Hill novels I think that would be great. The artwork is better than Rob Liefeld's illustrations

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
I think I should write some Silent Hill comics...

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
S.D. Perry wasn't necessarily a brilliant author.. Hell, I wish I could make money off of fanfiction. >:[ They do it for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, why not for Silent Hill?

Oh and non-canon means it doesn't follow the storyline. Non-canon = original. Canon = follows same storyline as the series. I have no idea why it's called that, just like I don't know why stories with loads of cutesy sex are called lemons/limes.

/end random shit.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Feb 2005
Notes left: 456
Last seen at: In The Arms Of God
i've only purchased dying inside so far. I like the art style, and the comics are okay. I do agree that the language isn't that great, and I wasn't too fond of most of the character's Specifically that red haired bitch in the second half. From what I've seen the comic books aren't nearly as good as the games. They're not absolutly terrible, but they're not that great IMO. But like I've said, I've only read dying inside, so I might end up finding that I would liek the others much more.

Post subject:

the Adversary wrote:
I think I should write some Silent Hill comics...

Please do... maybe then we will see the end of those shitty comics and see something worthy of a Silent Hill title.

If you are serious... get em published! I think teamsilent would like it if you make a "demo".

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jun 2005
Notes left: 308
Last seen at: Lakeside Amusement Park
It would be a real relief just to see improved conversations in it...

Thanks to Andrashi for my kick ass avatar!

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Dec 2005
Notes left: 191
Just bought the comics off of ebay and was really excited but now i'm not so excited after reading these posts...

oh well, they were only three dollars.

Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Jul 2005
Notes left: 2174
Last seen at: Plus Forty Seven Degrees 56' 37" Minus Sixteen Degrees 51' 08"
I own Paint It Black, but it´s in Japanese... At least it looks really good to me. But if you´re all saying that all of them basicly suck, I won´t ask to that fat man, that dresses red and has a long white beard, to give it to me in this Christ-mas. It was really one of my requests...

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

I'd suggest goto a local comic/collectable shop and see if you can read thru one if it is availible, otherwise I'd look for a synopsis and let that decide your opinion of getting it. Who says someone else's opinion is the judging factor for you and something you may like.

I personally liked the grinning man the most with Dying Inside or Among the Damned ( I think this was the one with Christabell/e/a(?) in it) as coming in a close second.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Oct 2004
Notes left: 26
Last seen at: Los Angeles
I'm sorry to disagree with most of you Silent Hillbillies (at least that's what I like to call myself. Cultists? What do you call us fans?). I enjoyed Paint it Black. Not dying inside though. Despite the writing style, I thought it told a pretty interesting story. And yet, it left me wanting more. But I'm still glad I bought it. I think fans should at least give it a chance. :D