Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 26 May 2018

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Silent Hill 4 claimed by creators as an intended sequel...

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 233
Last seen at: Deep down in places you don't talk about at parties.
I've heard many times that Silent Hill 4: The Room was supposed to be a different game, but was at some point "ported" to fit into the Silent Hill world. I just always believed this to be true. However, recently I was reading an interview with the creators of Silent Hill 4: Akira Yamaoka and Masahi Tsuboyama, where they state the following:

" Tsuboyama: We wanted to make a sequel after Silent Hill 3 and you could say that was the initial concept, but upon that we needed to implement a lot of new flavour to the sequel, otherwise it would have been the same old Silent Hill. So for that, we created "The Room" as the concept for the game, so that we could use to represent the contrast between the normal and the abnormal life which changes suddenly. For the scenario we got our general influence from a book called Coin Locker Babies, which was written by a Japanese writer called Ryu Murakami. It talks about a baby abandoned in a coin locker. That was the general background. "

So, am I misinterpreting something? Are they deceiving readers? Or was there misinformation in the statement that 4 was not intended as a SH game?

http://games.kikizo.com/features/konami_interview_sep04.asp

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Feb 2005
Notes left: 250
Last seen at: México
Adversary!!!

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
WHAT?

This thread should be here in response to all of the idiotic "SH4 wasnt sposed 2 B a SH game in da fisrt place" comments.

Ya know what? Neither was the original Silent Hill game. It was originally intended to be an adaptation of a Stephen King book but Konami couldn't get the rights for it so they drastically changed it into what it is now: the single greatest survival horror game of all time that you know, love and compare to all other survival horror games.

Who cares if Silent Hill 4: The Room wasn't originally a Silent Hill game? Who cares if it was? It is now, it has been since 2003 and it forever will be.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Last edited by The Adversary on 01 May 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Apr 2008
Notes left: 187
Last seen at: New York
It was supposed to be a spin-off. They changed it way too much so now fans hate it to they point some deny it is part of the main story.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
>It was supposed to be a spin-off.

Based on what? You already have proof--from a SH4 CREATOR'S MOUTH--that this game wasn't intended to be a spin-off. Are you still going to stick to Wiki?

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jun 2006
Notes left: 673
Last seen at: Minnesota
Mockingbird wrote:
WHAT?
You're like some crime fighting super hero coming to save the day.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Jun 2007
Notes left: 291
Last seen at: Texas
Mockingbird wrote:
It was originally intended to be an adaptation of a Stephen King book but Konami couldn't get the rights for it so they drastically changed it into what it is now: the single greatest survival horror game of all time that you know, love and compare to all other survival horror games.

"The Mist"?

Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Jul 2005
Notes left: 2174
Last seen at: Plus Forty Seven Degrees 56' 37" Minus Sixteen Degrees 51' 08"
^More than likely.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 31 Mar 2008
Notes left: 300
Last seen at: ...rowing out to Toluca Island.
Did it really take two years for Mockingbird to respond to this?

Post subject:

What does that matter, in the context of this thread being about SH4 always being a SH title? It doesn't. So...

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
It was supposed to be a game version of the Mist...lame. I did not like that storette (probably not a word, but I use it instead of saying Short story...well nevermind.I used more time explaining then just saying short story.) But it did have a similar vibe to what Silent Hill gives.

Like Krist and Mockingbird said, who cares if it was, in the very early stages of development, supposed to become another game. Does it really matter if originally it was supposed to be Bunny Froo-Froo and then was changed to Silent Hill? If anything, I think it shows the game and game creators influence.SH:0 was originally meant to be a remake of SH1 but then the creators rethought the process and came up with a whole new set of scares for us.

I heard the same rumor that the game play itself was designed fo another game and Konomi bought it up. That proves, to me, that the creators that had put time into making the game, were willing to stop and go in another direction, because of the success of the Silent Hill series thus far.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
>Did it really take two years for Mockingbird to respond to this?
You expect me to read every single thread that's posted throughout this forum?

I was directed to this thread by someone and noticed that I was invoked. Thus my response.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1422
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
Haha, at last I can say "Told you so!"

Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3343
That makes perfect sense. The story of SH4 and its cast of characters were excellent as were a lot of details! So I couldn't understand why so many people just write off this game... Even the repetition of levels was pretty well implemented in my opinion. I found it clever and never once thought they were being 'lazy.'

I suppose the conflict of what precisely happened is resolved this way:

1) The story, characters and concepts for SH4's world were intentionally supposed to be a SH game and the creators were wondering abotu what they could do that would be different...

2) But perhaps there were gameplay mechanisms and levels and revisiting concepts etc. already created for a separate non SH project that was in need of a story or identity. Some things that Konami was toying around with.

3) Both teams looked at each other and went, "y'know what?" And colloborated all they had into a single game.

Team Silent wanted to try something new. Despite being very true to SH's atmosphere and all they got flack from fans who hated the breaking of tradition and got depressed and decided they weren't cut out for doing any mroe SH games... thus SH5 is now in the hands of American developers... I can only hope we'll get something as imaginative and inventive and daring as the Room in Silent Hill ever again...

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Apr 2006
Notes left: 539
Last seen at: Somewhere in Nowhere
Well, as I said in another thread, how come this rumor have gotten so large and widespread? I mean, it must have had some ground to stand on more than a rumor floating around on the net and in magazines.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Aug 2003
Notes left: 1099
Last seen at: The most extreme and utter region of the human mind.
Wikipedia page updated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill_4:_The_Room

Quote:
The fourth Silent Hill game was begun shortly after the release of Silent Hill 2 by Konami's development team "Team Silent" alongside Silent Hill 3. Although rumors stated that it was originally intended to be a standalone game unrelated to Silent Hill, this was disproved by an interview with Akira Yamaoka and Masahi Tsuboyama, the producer and chief designer, respectively.[10][29][30]
30 ^ Doree, Adam. "Konami: The Silent Hill 4 Interview", Kiziko Ltd., 2004-09-06. Retrieved on 2008-05-03.

When you don't trust Wikipedia, you correct it.

“The sinister, the terrible never deceive: the state in which they leave us is always one of enlightenment. And only this condition of vicious insight allows us a full grasp of the world, all things considered, just as a frigid melancholy grants us full possession of ourselves. We may hide from horror only in the heart of horror."
--Thomas Ligotti

Post subject:

The ground to stand on was that people are rabid bastard fans of SH and parrot lies, shoving the truth into the ground.

I mean come on, just look at what they do with theories...

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
To Krist:
Tell us what you really think. ;-)

I never trust Wiki. Not since I quoted it once for an essay on The St. Valentine's Day Massacre. My teacher gave it an A until she saw that I gave credit to Wikipedia in my Biblography, and flipped. She dispised Wiki and I had never even heard of it before. I had just googled The St. Valetine's Day Massacre and that was something that popped up. She dropped it to a C+ cause I guess she had told the class not to use Wiki on the week I was gone with my orchestra, performing all over California.

So since then I have Dispised With Burning Passion, Wiki.

Do not ever trust Wiki, is the lesson of my rant here.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Aug 2003
Notes left: 1099
Last seen at: The most extreme and utter region of the human mind.
Wikipedia is a valuable resource as long as you realise what its strengths are. The management of articles has also changed drastically over the last few years as well, allowing for more strict quality control on its expert board.

Wikipedia, and wikis in general, thrive on the "wisdom of the masses." The concept is that when an article is posted and someone knowledgeable on the subject reads it, they have the freedom to correct any errors immediately, or even contribute new knowledge. The upshot, of course, is that anyone who wants to spread misinformation is also able to edit the article, but that is usually mitigated by 1) a lack of motivation regarding most articles and 2) the efforts of those who maintain the articles' integrity.

Generally, the only articles I view with a grain of salt are profiles on major corporations and politicians, as the corporations and politicians often hire teams of people to edit Wikipedia entries round the clock to make sure they are not cast in ill favour. Otherwise, Wikipedia is at best the most reliable resource for factual information that exists, and at worst as reliable as a slightly out-of-date textbook.

As it regards professors, I realise that many specifically prohibit their use as reference material because of their distrust of the community system; the way to get around that is to instead reference the reference material that the article itself cites. If it is a well-contructed article, its "References" section should be full of references to books, magazines, journals, and news on the web.

“The sinister, the terrible never deceive: the state in which they leave us is always one of enlightenment. And only this condition of vicious insight allows us a full grasp of the world, all things considered, just as a frigid melancholy grants us full possession of ourselves. We may hide from horror only in the heart of horror."
--Thomas Ligotti

Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
Whether or not, they still produced a good game :mrgreen: !