Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 26 May 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Why do you want to live in Silent Hill?

Missing since: 10 Mar 2006
Notes left: 254
Sorry if this has been asked before, or if this is spam, but I'd really like to have some opinions on this.

A lot of people come to this forum saying things like "I wish I lived in Silent Hill" - it seems to be their way of summing up how they feel about the games. I often think they are just being stupid, but the inescapable truth is that I too often feel such thoughts. I too often wish that I could live in Silent Hill.

But why do we have this urge?

- Do we long for a place of punishment and salvation? If so, is Silent Hill simply filling the void that was once occupied by the Church. Has modern day apostasy simply gone too far and are we now longing for a return to those days when we were instructed as to our sins and our penances.

- Do we long for a world of black and white, where our adversaries (our demons) are things that we can reach out to and beat into the ground if we so wish. If so, is this an indication that modern psycho-therapy and social harmony are unsuited to human nature, and deep down we simply long for violence to be the greatest solution to our problems?

- Do we long for a simpler life? Do we want to live somewhere where we don't have to worry about peer pressure and financial troubles and material possessions and relationships, and concentrate on the simple clarity of trying to stay alive?

- Do we wish to draw out our troubles and our adversaries into a single form (a boss) and confront him one-on-one, thereby cleansing ourselves of our troubles with a single blow? If so, then it is fitting that in the games we are repeatdedly called upon to destroy God (who many blame for their woes). It is a sign of the times that, whilst a few call this God the Devil, many treat him as the Christain Jehovah, who is increasingly seen in this world as the dispenser of ill fortune, rather than the Devil.

- Or is there something irrevocably twisted in the pscyhe of man? Something that draws us to Silent Hill, draws us to violence, draws us to terror, draws us to death? Something that overwhelms the rational thought that tells you it is pure suicidal insanity to go there?

WHY DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN SILENT HILL?

Last edited by Abdiel on 23 Apr 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Jan 2006
Notes left: 90
I would never want to live in SH, but I would be very interested in paying it a visit...

Not because I want to meet my personified inner deamons or anything of that sort, rather, I would be curious... and would probably regret my curiosity a few hours later =/

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Mar 2004
Notes left: 2542
Last seen at: The Boro, Englund
I want to live there because they always have good offers on at the 3 Supermarket and I'm dirt poor.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Mar 2006
Notes left: 181
Last seen at: England
i woudlnt want to live there :shock:

Post subject:

I'd live there to study the monsters that exsisted there, uncover their purpose and use them to my advantage. Perhaps uncover a horrible truth about the universe. Though I'd send someone else to get their hands dirty.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Apr 2006
Notes left: 521
I'd live there only if it was on the easy setting, then I could have some fun with shotguns and nutrition drinks and whatnot, blasting monsters and meeting sexy women with limited monologue. It'd be a riot.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Mar 2006
Notes left: 181
Last seen at: England
haha yeah id love to meet maria an maybe shake pyramid heads hand

Post subject:

I'd live there for the excitement and weather.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Sep 2005
Notes left: 104
Last seen at: Miami, FL
[spoiler]That hole at Neely's is gone, right?[/spoiler] Might as well get piss drunk if I'm about to meet my inner demons. Really, though, I would only come on holiday assuming the town doesn't have something in store for me.

Post subject:

In would love to live in Silent Hill!
It wouldn't bother me. The only thing that would bother me is the Pyrimid Head.
Then i'll be scared.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Jun 2004
Notes left: 266
Last seen at: Cripsen's Abiss
I wouldn't want to live there, but I'd like to be on a roadtrip with my daughter, and then see some apparation in the middle of the road, crash into a tree, wake up to fog, go searching for my daughter, find a radio, find a wooden plank with nails in it, kill stuff with it, and...stuff.

-"......What the FUCK are you talking about!?"

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Mar 2006
Notes left: 267
Last seen at: Brookhaven Hospital
Honestly, there is no way in hell I would live in Silent Hill.

Well actually, scratch that.

Think about it....most people in Silent Hill never experience weird shit.
It's only people who are DRAWN to the town who have to deal with it (for the most part)

So okay. I'll live there. for a bit.

Thanks Dish01 for my sig and avi.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Aug 2004
Notes left: 1123
Last seen at: Overlook Hotel
I want to live in GTA San Andreas or Vice City. I'm too much of a clean freak and on the computer a lot. I couldn't handle rotten corpses hanging from ceilings in cages, roads ending with an abyss, rooms turning upside down when you open a door then normal when you open it again, monsters trying to tear you apart, howls, baby cries off in the distance, skinless dogs, blood, rust, puss, zombies and so on and so on. :shock:

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Mar 2006
Notes left: 254
Hmm.....well apart from Huntsman it would seem that no one would actually want to live there. So I guess this is just a big delusion of mine :shock: .......

Personally, I would live in Silent Hill because:

- There is meaning there, or at least a lot more meaning that there sometimes appears to be in my own life. And even if there is not meaning, there is a poignancy that is at once poetic and haunting.

- I DO want to face my demons, just once, and through that battle make a measure of my worth. At least at the end I could stand before God and say that I tried.

- There is truth. Survival is all that matters, and love is all that it takes to be a good man. In real life I am forced too often to care about the things that do not matter.

- I have always said that I believe in God and that I trust in the benevolence of His will. In Silent Hill perhaps I would have a chance to test that belief. And should that belief be broken, I'd be curious to see what kind of man was left underneath it.

Jeez, I sound really depressing today, don't I? Must be the effect of watching the film. Stories and films always put me in a philosophical mood.

Sorry everyone.......I guess I need to go on a pilgrimage or something!

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Quote:
A lot of people come to this forum saying things like "I wish I lived in Silent Hill"

That's news to me. You pose interesting questions, though. And truthfully I wouldn't want to go to Silent Hill at all. I already have enough shit clogging my head, seeing them materialised in physical form as monsters, delusions, and a "boss" would be the end of me.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Aug 2005
Notes left: 1513
Last seen at: Colombia
I'd love live there cause I'm addicted to the health drinks and I haven't enough money for support this... Anyway If the destiny wants that we be in Silent Hill we don't need go there; we'll just pass through a door at a shopping center or awake in our bed to find that the world has been messed and that we have an iron pipe near to us for start smash fears...

Post subject: Re: Why do you want to live in Silent Hill?

Abdiel wrote:
WHY DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN SILENT HILL?

Great Knife :twisted:

Nah sariously, I prefer to play the game... Enen though Slicing a couple mannequins with a chainsaw would be probably satisfying...

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 Mar 2006
Notes left: 573
Last seen at: Nizhniy Novgorod, Russia
I´d live in the happy normal Silent Hill.

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/2 ... ef=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 1065
Last seen at: Upsate NY
I would want to live in Silent Hill for many of the reasons stated. I think it would make me feel more alive, and like I was actually doing something with meaning.

Post subject:

I've seen this kind of topic on other forums, where usually a mass of 13 year-olds say LOL I WUD GO AROUND KILLING MONSTERS WITH A ROCKET LAUNCHER

I'd like to go to escape from everyday life. Even if I was killed, at least I would have experienced something few have. Maybe not a good reason eh?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next