Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 21 Oct 2018

Post subject: SH2 Cutscenes actually better looking than SH3?

Anyone else think the actual cutscenes, not the ingame engine ones, are better looking than the ones in the following SH3, maybe even 4? I think they are realistic looking for sure. Silent Hill 3 has a much different look to its cutscenes, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed/thought this as well.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Feb 2005
Notes left: 2246
Well I think from SH3 onwards they decided not to do the FMV's all significantly higher quality than the in-game. They seem to have wanted more consistency from in-game to a cutscene so it's the same quality as it would be in-game throughout..

I hope that made sense.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
It did make sense: There were no FMV sequences in SH3 and SH4, so..

Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Oct 2004
Notes left: 2132
Last seen at: In the Cave of Rendezvous
Probably because they werer rendered CGI... and No, the CGI:s in Sh2 have quite alot of errors. The cutscenes in Silent Hill 3 is the best, because the lighning makes it in some cases look realistic as hell.

Sh3 and 2 has the best set-design and photography. It also works better into the elements of storytelling.

Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Jun 2005
Notes left: 1868
Last seen at: Finland
Actually I see no difference between the cutscenes in SH2-SH3 with the in-game graphics. At all. Well, SH2 in-game has the sawtooth lines, but that's an error that won't be evitable on PS2.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Jul 2004
Notes left: 87
Last seen at: Sweden
If you play the PC-version there is no doubt about the cutscenes in Silent Hill 3 looking a lot better!

Post subject:

They look alot better on Ps2 also... the lightning and expressions is much better.
I love the set-design and image in Sh2, but that graphic is really old now...
Sh3 has superiour quality...

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Yeah, I won't argue against that! But if you try the PC-version of SH3 you will notice BIG diference with lightning effects and so on. They never did this update for PC on SH4, but I guess they were quite happy with the graphics already. I don't expect this to be necessary with upcoming titles either, since PS3 should be able to show off some extraordinary stuff!
:)

Post subject:

I certainly prefer the look of the SH2 cutscenes. The grainyness (not a word I think) makes them more interesting to look at.

Post subject:

Sh3 and 4 has grain too you know... Yes, I agree that the Sh2 cutscenes are better... they are better directed. But we talked about the graphics here, and without talking about the art, character and setdesign, Sh3 much more advance and better looking cutscenes...

So, we were talking about the graphics, not the cutscenes in terms of directing and writing quality... If you want to talk about that, Sh2 wins over every other game in the serie...

Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Oct 2003
Notes left: 5534
Last seen at: Room 311, making a noise complaint
Not better looking,but better.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

What's good or bad is only a matter of taste. But I get your point!
What I really love about the cutscenes in Silent Hill 3 (Which isn't in any of the other games), though, is the focus sharpness, in and out, during the dialogues!

Hmm, but still I think I have to say that I like the cutscenes in SH3 the best anyway. Except for some really, really strong ones in SH2. Overall, I still think I would say SH3. But please note: Silent Hill 2 is my all time favourite game!

Post subject:

Moved to General Discussion, since it encompasses two games (: Do continue chatting.

Post subject:

Glazarus wrote:

Sh2 wins over every other game in the serie...

In your opinion of course.

I personally look at this way... in my opinion.

SH1 - Shitty graphics, THEBEST atmo., the start of it all.
SH2 - Impressive graphics, excellent atmo.
SH3 - Impressive graphics, excellent Atmo.
SH4 - Impressive graphics, shitty controls, excellent atmo(claustrophobic at its best).

Flame me if you must for me liking SH4, it won't sway my opinion, just as mine won't yours.

Good.

:mrgreen:

Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Jun 2005
Notes left: 7464
Last seen at: Kentucky
Why would you get flamed for liking 4? Hell it's my favorite out of the 4....opinions are opinions.

Post subject:

HealthDrinkGOOD wrote:
Why would you get flamed for liking 4? Hell it's my favorite out of the 4....opinions are opinions.

Mine too.

But if you were at this board when 4 just came out... oh ho ho, you were slaughtered for saying "Cynthia is hot."

I'm a bad mood, sorry if I came on as offensive.

Post subject:

People can't stop bitching about SH4, even though it's been out for over a year and that's a twist in their panties they should've adjusted already. Just like they can't stop bitching about certain elements of SH3. These people need to get laid, big time.

Just my two cents.

Post subject:

Twixman wrote:
What's good or bad is only a matter of taste. But I get your point!
What I really love about the cutscenes in Silent Hill 3 (Which isn't in any of the other games), though, is the focus sharpness, in and out, during the dialogues!

Hmm, but still I think I have to say that I like the cutscenes in SH3 the best anyway. Except for some really, really strong ones in SH2. Overall, I still think I would say SH3. But please note: Silent Hill 2 is my all time favourite game!

Yes, those focus shiftings were a great effect... I even stole that and used it in my own movies :lol:
But what makes Sh2 the greatest in directing is that the actors talk more realistic.
In sh1 there was a technical drawback that made them talk like retards (the slow speed).
But in Sh3, I really can't understand the acting. I think some of them just sound like their on crack. Vincent and Douglas talks like they got their brains filled with White Claudia... In Sh4 the dialouge is so badly written I get chills.
Silent Hill 2 has the best script and best directing if you compare it to theater and movies.
The use of camera angles and how they slowly move is a masterpeice.
The rest of the games uses quite "usual" camera work, nothing really special.

Now, this have nothing to do with if people like Sh2 or not, it still got the best quality in STORYTELLING (Story -> Telling).

Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Oct 2003
Notes left: 5534
Last seen at: Room 311, making a noise complaint
Miss Krissy wrote:
People can't stop bitching about SH4, even though it's been out for over a year and that's a twist in their panties they should've adjusted already. Just like they can't stop bitching about certain elements of SH3. These people need to get laid, big time.

Just my two cents.

People like to express thier dislike of a certian game,or an element of a game in hopes that it will get taken out or improved upon in the next game.Nothing wrong with,unless people are CONSTNTLY compliaing about it.Just my 1.50$ :wink:

Post subject:

*has nothing to complain about, is sorry to disappoint* :|

when cutscenes are mentioned, i always think of the in-game stuff that progresses the story..with the whole letterbox thing and such.. maybe i need a lesson or two on this *shrugs*

i could be just stupid about this, but i didn't really notice much CGI in SH3, 'cept for that car ride with all the rain.. and then there's SH2, which should be obvious for most.. but as far as in-game cutscenes go, i'd have to give it to SH3 for having the best of those, as the facial expressions and lip synching rock compared to SH2's.. i'd even have to say that the character model's themselves were a bit more polished than those in SH2..

now, if the topic-starter is thinking that SH2's CGI cutscenes are looking better than SH3's in-game cutscenes, that is understandable..very :)

Last edited by Anonymous on 17 Nov 2005, edited 1 time in total.