All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 11 Dec 2018

Gravedigger
 Post subject: The Mysterious Plague that Ravaged Silent Hill

Missing since: 06 Mar 2005
Notes left: 537
Last seen at: Somewhere?
I completely forgot about this.

Does anyone else remember the pictures in SH2, in the Historical Society building, stating how a plague ravaged the town, and that's why Brookhaven was erected in the olden days?

I don't know why, but a hammer just slammed on the thought and I wondered why else would Team Silent speak of a plague if they won't implement it at one point during the games?

I'm not saying Silent Hill 5 will take place in the olden days, but, the idea of a Silent Hill game revolving around this "mysterious plague" and somehow connecting it to the entities within the town itself would be fairly interesting...

I'm also reminded of the "illness" the modern doctors referred to in Brookhaven's notes, this "illness" that could manifest in anyone, and bring them to the other side.

Chew on that for awhile.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Nov 2004
Notes left: 761
Last seen at: Fell down in bathtub. Send help.
Uh, there was aplague back then. I dont know how relevant this is to the rest of the series, I mean, they dont have to use it as a story, they do that a couple of times in each game.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
Maybe it's a spread of White Claudia?

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
For a while I thought it was a mental disease, but that was kind of shot down. I liked the idea that this "sickness" let people see the otherworld, but apparently this plague was purely physical.

If anything, it more than likely has to do with the town's less than stellar history. All the bad ju-ju, karma and mumbojumbo of that sort lingered and festered, kind of like a greenhouse where all the gases and heat stay trapped inside, only to come back in the form of an illness. ... Hm. And I just randomly decided now, at 7:27 on a Tuesday morning in January, that this may have something to do with Mary getting sick. She got sick while in Silent Hill, on her honeymoon, if I remember correctly. And it would be like a swift kick in the groin if there was that connexion.

I should probably go back to bed.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Nov 2004
Notes left: 761
Last seen at: Fell down in bathtub. Send help.
Its possible. I mean, Harry's wife was sick... But I think she got sick somewhere else.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Dec 2005
Notes left: 115
Last seen at: L.G.C.
True, Harry's wife did get ill, and yes it could've been this 'plague' she had been to Silent Hill herself, when she and Harry found cheryl at the side of the road.
i also agree that it may be the same illnes that mary died of, and it made me think: perhaps only women are affected?

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
I think Harry's wife death is almost unimportant.. insignificant, even. But that's just my opinion..

Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Aug 2003
Notes left: 4728
Last seen at: H-Town
The plague is, along with all the other stuff, there to give the player an idea of how unfortunate the town as been and how bad things are drawn to it. Silent Hill got a lota' nasty karma drifting around, the plague is just one example.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Jan 2006
Notes left: 120
Last seen at: Salt Lake City, Utah
I never really looked too far into the plague thing. I played it off like "Yeah, they built a town on a Native American holy land, and probably burial ground. OF COURSE they're gonna get a plague."

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

I thought the same way about the Sullivan Case in the newspaper.

Go figure, huh?

Yeah, Harry's wife was already Ill and dying, but not like Mary. I think her Illness was one where she was "healthy" up until the morning she just never woke up. Organ failure while she was sleeping, I bet. Happens to old people all the time.

Mary's Illness though, that one really was weird. James himself said all the textbooks and medicine didn't help it at all.

"That Damn Illness."

Not exactly a textbook name either.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
>Happens to old people all the time.
Mrs. Mason wasn't that old. Harry was only 32 at the time of Silent Hill 1--I don't think he married a seventy-year-old; she didn't look older than him, anyway. She probably died round twenty-five or twenty-six. After all: She died four years before Silent Hill 1, when Harry was twenty-eight.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Jan 2006
Notes left: 120
Last seen at: Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
I thought the same way about the Sullivan Case in the newspaper.

I don't remember... was the Sullivan Case mentioned before SH4?

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
Yes. In Silent Hill 2, outside of Woodside Apartments, in the garbage bin.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

the Adversary wrote:
>Happens to old people all the time.
Mrs. Mason wasn't that old. Harry was only 32 at the time of Silent Hill 1--I don't think he married a seventy-year-old; she didn't look older than him, anyway. She probably died round twenty-five or twenty-six. After all: She died four years before Silent Hill 1, when Harry was twenty-eight.

Just saying. I know nothing of medical conditions, but I wouldn't think it too far-fetched that Mrs. Mason had a problem along those lines, and couldn't get a donor or something. I say this because I've known someone who has a heart condition suiting of an old man, and he's in his 20's. Course, there's no evidence in the game saying what Mr.s Mason died from other than "illness", so it's up in the air, as alwayas, until Konami says something.