[HELP] Josh! Don't let me fall!

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

swedish
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

[HELP] Josh! Don't let me fall!

Post by swedish »

I suppose we can start making a thread where fellow members who have the game can ask each other for help if they're ever stuck or need advice.
I. Weapon Locations
II. Puzzle Solutions
III. Enemies and Boss Strategies
IV. Endings

I) Weapon Locations
  • Combat Knife - Can be found at the beginning of the game off a mirror in Achemilla Hospital. You're required to get it in order to advance through the level anyways. Don't let the size and appearance of this weapon fool you; it's hands down of the best weapons in the game, and you could carve your way through nearly everything with it.
  • Steel Pipe - Found in the Shepard Family House garage. This weapon is literally a mixed bag; it has medium speed, medium range, and medium damage. Because of that, you'll have to mixup different styles while confronting monsters.
  • Fire Axe - Found on your first visit to Silent Hill underneath a broken road. You'll need it to get into The Grand Hotel anyways. It hits hard but slow, so you'll mostly be dodging attacks and following it up with a dodge-swipe or combo after.
  • Ceremonial Dagger - Replaces and upgrades Combat Knife. Found underneath the Town Hall inside a cross. Again, needed to advance through the game so it's impossible to miss.
  • Crowbar - Replaces and upgrades the Steel Pipe. Hell Descent, about 70% into the stage. When you see a BIOHAZARD sign partly covered nearby your legs and on the left of an area to step down, head in the opposite route of where the path originally split (go left). Step down, climb a ladder down, squeeze through some pipes and finally duck under a fan to acquire the Crowbar.
  • Pulaski Axe - Replaces and upgrades the Fire Axe. Location???
  • Mk. 23 - Given to you by Curtis in the Junkyard. Can't miss this.
  • Shotgun - Given to you by Wheeler at the Sheriff Station. You can't miss this.
  • Police Rifle - Found in Silent Hill???
  • Chrome Hammer Pistol - Found in the Graveyard behind a wooden board barricade. Axe the boards to acquire it. Replaces the Mk. 23, boosting the magazine capacity from 9 to 12 shots and landing extra damage.
  • Blue Steel Shotgun - Found in the basement past an unlockable Ceremonial Dagger door (the room forbidden to Alex by Adam Shepard) as said in a cut scene). On the right of the Attic Key hiding in a locker shelf. Replaces the Shotgun, boosting the shell capacity from 4 to 5 shots as well as landing extra damage.
  • M14 - ???
  • Circular Saw - In the Shepard Family garage, only acquirable after a single playthrough.
  • Laser Gun - In Alex and Josh's secret closet on top of a suitcase next to Josh's map of the Shepard residence. Only acquirable after getting the UFO Ending.
Puzzle Solutions

Enemies and Boss Strategies

Enemies

A general note: the enemy AI seems to be less aggressive when they attack in groups, instead having only one monster concentrate on fighting Alex. Either way, it's a better idea to have enemies line up single file instead of being surrounded.

"Going offensive" means to act aggressively and attack first without giving the enemy a chance to respond. "Going defensive" means to cautiously approach enemies and let them attack first, then landing a few hits before pausing and letting enemies attack again, rinse and repeat. "Retaliation" is self-explanatory.
  • Nurse - Use the Knife/Dagger on them. Other melee weapons can be used, but Nurses have a nasty habit of going berzerk and slashing wildly at Alex without giving him time to respond. Don't let that happen. Be careful as Nurses can quickly retaliate after being combo'd. Save your guns for other targets, but don't hesitate to resort to them if you encounter them in large numbers.
  • Lurker - These punks are fairly weak and easily killed. Go offensive with the Knife or play defensively with the Pipe/Crowbar and Axe. Don't even bother wasting your ammunition on them.
  • Feral - Don't run from them. Ever. Confront them with the Knife/Dagger and go offensive, and they'll fall relatively quickly. You can use the Pipe/Crowbar or Axe, but you'll have to play a mixture of offense/defense and it might take longer to kill them. Save your ammo for better targets.
  • Smog - Don't start a close quarters brawl with them. Ever. Back up, let them expose their lungs, and shoot twice with the Pistol to kill them.
  • Needler - Finally, a tougher monster! You'll have to approach these guys defensively, as they are guaranteed to block any incoming attacks 90% of the time. Once you strafed an attack, mash immediately to do a strafe-attack. If you're using a knife, it's possible to go offensive after a dodge-slash while their side is exposed, otherwise you'll have to play defensively with the Pipe/Crowbar and Axe. Use firearms if you got spare ammunition if they come in pairs or groups, otherwise take them on at melee since they'll even block bullets as well!
  • Schism - Tangling with these guys at close range can be dangerous, since they can land just as much (if not even more) damage than a Siam with a few hits! However, it's possible to brawl with them and come out unscathed, but only through skillful mixture of offense and defense. As always, I prefer the Knife/Dagger since it allows me to go offensive and reduces the times I have to dodge incoming attacks. The Pipe/Crowbar and Axe are good too, but because of their slow speed you'll have to play defensively most of the time. They have a very tell-tale lunge, so when you see it starting up, dodge it and wail at them. Great targets for the Shotgun: let them get close, blast them in the face, and finish them with a buttstock smack for an easy kill.
  • Siam - These fuckers are like mini-bosses. If you have enough space and ammo, run back and pop a shot or two at them with the Pistol or Rifle, then dodge like crazy and repeat. It's possible to finish them off with 2-4 Shotgun blasts, but you're extremely vulnerable while pumping shells and almost certain to take damage.

If you don't have any ammo or prefer to kill them with your melee weapons, prepare for a lengthy, defensive battle. Weapon choices are up to you: the Knife/Dagger allows you follow up a dodge-swipe with a short combo for extra damage, but you can be outranged plenty of times while dodge Siam's attacks. The Pipe/Crowbar and Axe can let you add another swing or short combo for extra damage after a dodge-swipe, but you're a lot more vulnerable for a retaliatory swing.

Additionally, you can use a mixture of firearms and melee to take out Siam if you want to conserve as much ammo as possible.

Siam's attacks are mostly easy to read. The two main attacks to watch out for are the charging sucker punch (you'll know it when you see it) and the double swipe, which can come unexpectedly after the first swing. It's a bit of a gamble to accurate guess the latter attack, so be wary and don't use dodge-swipes all the time.
  • Order Member - They may seem intimidating at first, but they're actually a joke to fight. Get up to their face and use the ever-so-cheap Dagger, repeatedly spamming light + light + light + heavy attacks. Any attempts at dodging, parrying, or retaliation will be stopped. Alternatively, you can use firearms and dispatch them quickly by well-aimed shots at the head, but beware of cultists chasing after you with their melee weapons. Probably a good idea to use firearms if you encounter cultists in pairs or more.
Bosses
  • Sepulcher -
  • Scarlet -
  • Asphyxia -
  • That Pregnant Spider Thing -
IV) Endings
  • Smile - End your mother's life, forgive your father.
  • In Water -
  • Judgement -
  • Intensive Care -
Right now, I'm fighting Scarlet and I'm tearing out my hair. I have only about 50-60% health left with no health kits and only 4 pistol shots. Knocking her down isn't really a problem since the pipe works wonders, but it's fighting Scarlet's 2nd form where she crawls around on all fours like a spider.

By then, I'm usually at 25% health left and Scarlet strikes with such speed I barely have time to react and dodge. Is anybody else having a bit of trouble with her?
Last edited by swedish on 03 Oct 2008, edited 3 times in total.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6124/maiwaifuit1.jpg[/img][/url]
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

Aim for the head. When she gets on the ceiling make sure you stay on her and hit the dodge button when she screams. When she falls that is the best time to attack. Hope that helps! :D

She was defiantly difficult!
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

Can anyone help me? I'm stuck in the cemetary, there's all kinds of locked gates but I can't find any keys for them, also there's doors you can hack down, but all I have is the pipe!! I'm goin nuts here.. have searched the town and can't find any more items...

please help!
revalations 23:16
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

Egh, that "don't let me fall" line made me cringe. Even moreso than some of the lines in Silent Hill 1.

Just posting to say I feel your pain, but I had a spare ampule (yeah I said it) so I was able to beat her.

Pretty obnoxious boss.
Crimsonsloth
Just Passing Through

Post by Crimsonsloth »

Shackled forget about the graveyard just keep going through until you hit a parking lot... the door will be locked and you have to back track to it later. Oh and at the door you can't break down there is a room across from it that you can squeeze through... i had the same problem and searched the whole town but there is a squeeze through able whole in that long chain of coffins... and then more holes. Don't worry about finding the mayor yet like i said above just get to the parking lot.
Who has time for tears?
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

Ampoules are back? Awesome! They're one of my favorite items in the Silent Hill series
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

aj4x94 wrote:Ampoules are back? Awesome! They're one of my favorite items in the Silent Hill series
Is that what the "serum" is supposed to be? or is there an actual ampoule? Finding that serum reminded me of RE4 a little..
revalations 23:16
pink_isnt_well000

Holy crap I am stuck on this puzzle in the Attic. :x

It took like an hour! I feel stupid now!
Last edited by pink_isnt_well000 on 03 Oct 2008, edited 1 time in total.
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

^yeah, I must have spent 2 hours on it before I finally got it. I would recommend reloading your save if you don't get it in a few moves. It's pretty much done for you, I kept overthinking it

Except for that part, only place I really got stuck was the police station... damn schims! Finally just ended up making a run for it, that seemed to work pretty well.

I never found the first rifle though, must have been there at the police station when shit was going down.
Ark Skyheart
Just Passing Through

Post by Ark Skyheart »

i just got to scarlet....pretty niffty, its interesting the amount of combat in the game...a nice change of pace thats for sure....who else thinks the RE series would have stayed tru to itself had it had this type of gameplay over the newer crap? jus a thought
ARGH i keep losing "the game" if you know what the game is you just lost it!

[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/arkskyheart/arksig.jpg[/img]
cme550
Just Passing Through

Post by cme550 »

I'm having a hell of a time with the two Needlers in the hotel, 5th floor. They keep blocking my attacks and I can't seem to get past them to try to avoid them before I'm pushed to the floor by one, or both, of them.

I have to say that they are, so far, my worst enemy in ANY Silent Hill game
Latraxus
Just Passing Through

Post by Latraxus »

cme550 wrote:I'm having a hell of a time with the two Needlers in the hotel, 5th floor. They keep blocking my attacks and I can't seem to get past them to try to avoid them before I'm pushed to the floor by one, or both, of them.

I have to say that they are, so far, my worst enemy in ANY Silent Hill game
Eh... I'd say SMOG is the worst addition. My best advice for fighting needlers is dodge them still you get to are at the side of them, then hit a heavy attack with the ax fast, this stuns them, then hold down for a charged attack, that knocks them down, then finish them off. They are only really a bitch if you get cornered by them and you have to face them from the front on.

Although, like the nurses, which I love this, what got me through most of the Hotel unscathed (minus any smog encounter) was keeping my radio and flashlight off. It worked once on a needler, because he wasn't coming, he was just there chillen. If the game specifically launches one at you, once he sees you yah good luck getting away if you don't want to fight. When you enter the clinic in Shepards Glenn though, once you find the room with the dolls that belong to scarlett, TURN OFF YOUR RADIO AND LIGHT! 5 nurses, and holy crap it's the movie! lol

it was very cool, and i find the aspect of walking around when u can (As it is psycho dark at times) without the flashlight and radio on, picks up the suspense and helps yah out big time. (P.s chopping off a nurse's head with a AX feels pretty nice.) A good thing with this too is, if you are hiding in the shadows on a nurse, or a needler cuz it works given the situation, put your ax on, and then charge it up directly behind them, they instantly get put to the floor, do it again, and then if it's anurse and she manages to get up, you'll eiether get a special move (aka her head getting knocked off) or swap quickly to a knife and you're all set.

I'm at Scarlet now though, no bullets (thanks smog) and about 65% health and one health drink.... her 2nd part... aGHHHHHh died.... anyone know if anything works better (not a gun) besides the crowbar (upgrade on the pipe)? I was a bit too nervous to try a knife on her 2nd incarnation.
SILENT HILL 2 BROOKHAVEN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrd1vod-q7k
(Darker Quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHxdMXcO0Yo
(Brighter Quality)
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

You get a crowbar? Oh, I miss understood in that one thread then I had no idea you got an upgrade to that weapon.

I would stick with the crowbar. Her first from isn't too hard. After she does a swipe attack, do the uppercut move on her (dodge toward + strong attack), dodge backwards and repeat. Only real danger in her first form is that splash damage attack she does which can be hard to avoid.

2nd form I didn't do so well on, I burned through some health drinks on that part. If you can avoid her ceiling attack you can go in for the kill though

EDIT: I didn't find the Needlers too hard, they don't have a lot of HP so usually a couple well timed dodges followed by a combo does the trick. I had problems with the schims though. They're the only guys with an insta-kill move too, from what I discovered.
pink_isnt_well000

Okay...I've looked everywhere for this third medal in the house....wtf? :x
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Did you check the room where you place the metals? one is right behind you, and shows you the proper placement

keep looking, you probably missed the one on the mannequin in the gear/fan/pipe room, I had a hard time finding my way there.
pink_isnt_well000

I missed one on a mannequin. :)
king_of_blades08
Just Passing Through

Post by king_of_blades08 »

I'm having the hardest time figuring out what to do next. I've just now got the Ceremonial Dagger and it says I need to explore town hall...well I've been through the whole thing what now?
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

^go back downstairs, you missed a dagger locked door, if I remember right. Unless you didn't get that far, then look around in the room with all the pictures of the town's founders and you'll find what you want.
king_of_blades08
Just Passing Through

Post by king_of_blades08 »

Ah alright I see it now jeez I should start paying more attention.
swedish
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by swedish »

Updated the original post with some information. Others are welcome to help contribute (read: please help me put stuff up).
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6124/maiwaifuit1.jpg[/img][/url]