Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 23 Sep 2018

RESPECT
 Post subject: This is the Flauros (spoilers for Silent Hill, SH3 and SH:O)

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
This could probably stand to be revised, but I wanted to post it tonight. I'll edit it further, if need be, later, but for right now this is a suitable explanation of what the Flauros is and what the final boss of Silent Hill: Origins is.

The Flauros

Dahlia Gillespie calls it “a cage of peace” (Silent Hill 1). Chinese poet and explorer Chang Ch’ien calls it “a demon inside [a] ‘three sided box’” (“Yellowed Page,” Silent Hill: Origins). Lutheran monk M.G. Lewis “linked it not to a demon, but to God Himself” (“Yellowed Page” SH: O). So what is it, where did it come from, and what’s inside of it? To answer: It is an artifact of great power, it came from King Solomon, and there’s a demon inside—and the demon inside the Flauros is called the demon Flauros.

According to Gustav Davidson, Flauros (whom I will call Hauras from here on to avoid confusion), is “one of the 72 spirits that Solomon . . . shut up in a brass vessel and cast into a deep lake” (137). It is of little coincidence that the Flauros of Silent Hill is a brass pyramid-shaped vessel given this information and the developers’ knowledge of Judeo-Christian mythology. Note also the significance of it being cast into a deep lake. The town of Silent Hill was developed around the enormous Toluca Lake, which is subject to numerous preternatural events. Though the Flauros was not found in Toluca Lake that we’re aware of, it’s possible that, before it “was excavated from ancient ruins” (Guidebook), it was in Toluca Lake at some point.

The text regarding the artifact in Silent Hill: Origins indicates that it was in the possession of Ch’ien as far back as 115 B.C. when, after his fiery death at the imperial palace, “the device appeared lost” (“Yellowed Page” SH: O). Its whereabouts went undocumented for 19 centuries until, in 1796, Lewis “spoke of its ability to control and amplify thought” (“Yellowed Page” SH: O). One must wonder how the artifact moved from China in 115 B.C. to the possession of a 21-year-old writer in England at the end of the 18th Century to the ancient ruins around Silent Hill—presumably on which The Order’s chapel was built because “it is established that the underground area of the otherworld's church is in fact a ruin where the town's former residents once conducted rituals” (Lost Memories). Unfortunately that question can’t be answered, but, more importantly, the Flauros’ purposes can be.

In Silent Hill, we see the Flauros used first-hand of its own volition when it supernaturally lifts into the air and its “ability to break the continuity of the boundary that surrounds Alessa” (Lost Memories) is performed—meaning it, as Dahlia, suggests, “break(s) through the walls of darkness and counteract(s) the wrath of the underworld” (Silent Hill) manifested by Alessa Gillespie, crumbling her world into what we see as the otherside. Further insight into its use is depicted in Silent Hill: Origins, when, after Travis reassembles it, that continuity is disrupted yet again and the Green Lion Antique Shop must be entered because it “is a place that was originally close to the ‘reverse side’” (Guidebook)—essentially a gateway to the otherworld.

During the ceremony to descend god at the end of Silent Hill: Origins, the brief audile flashback between Alessa and Dahlia informs us that the Flauros became incredibly hot to touch. Also, Dahlia tells Alessa to “Leave it be. It is a cage for a demon. Contained, his power will focus yours.” Her asseveration (from when Alessa was immolated) affirms Lewis’ remark that it can be used to amplify thought. Dahlia continues by saying, “Release him, and we will all burn in the fires of hell” (SH: O). This affirms Ch’iens tract in which he “jokes he trapped a demon inside” (“Yellowed Page” SH: O) the Flauros. Also note that when the Flauros is reassembled, Alessa’s world is restructured into a figurative—or literal—hell, just as Dahlia indicates.

It was assumed at first, from Silent Hill, that when Cheryl was created that Alessa was solely responsible, but now it appears she may have had a preternatural hand in doing so: Hauras. It seems as though when Hauras was freed from its cage and was defeated by Travis, Alessa managed to use the demon to strengthen her own powers—enough so to create a new self. If that power was always available to her, she should have used it immediately after being set ablaze (as we once assumed was the case). But she didn’t—because she couldn’t—and instead had to wait until Travis collected the five pieces of the device to reassemble it. When he did, Hauras was freed and used by Alessa to create Cheryl, and that set the stage for Harry Mason’s adventure seven years later—none of which Alessa could’ve done without being able to “piggyback” (“Repression and Coercion” SH: O) into Travis’ mind and use the demon. Unfortunately for Alessa, her plan only allowed her to endure her suffering for seven years.

One final thing to comment on is the full text regarding the Flauros.
    Origin unknown. The device is first mentioned in the poetry of Chang Ch’ien, an advisor of the early Han Dynasty. In one of his tracts, Chang Ch’ien jokes he trapped a demon inside his “three sided box.”

When Chang Ch’ien died in a terrible fire at the imperial palace in 115 B.C., the device appeared lost.

It was later rumored to be in the possession of Lutheran monk M.G. Lewis, who in 1796 spoke of its ability to control and amplify thought. It was Lewis who linked it not to a demon, but to God Himself, claiming it was a weapon left by angels as a force of good.
The history it details is a parallel to the events of Silent Hill: Origins and Silent Hill. Its origin is unknown but is mentioned in a note by Dahlia to Michael Kaufman that reads “_____ ______ ______ one of the five _____, hide them. Protect them” (“Hurried Note” SH: O). Alessa, like Ch’ien, “died in a terrible fire”—where we know the Flauros was—and, afterward, “the device was lost.”

Seven years later: Silent Hill. The device appears again, yet this time the possessor, Dahlia, informs us it’s not used for evil, but instead “as a force of good,” just like Lewis suggested in 1796.

Solving the puzzle of the Flauros is much like solving the Flauros puzzle in Silent Hill: Origins. What we know is that in Judeo-Christian mythology, Solomon encapsulated the demon Hauras within a brass vessel. We also know that in the context of the Silent Hill series, there is a demon within the Flauros artifact. Because of these similarities and more, we can deduce that the demon seen in the ending of Silent Hill: Origins is the same demon Solomon captured because their likeliness is too much to be coincidental—one thing the developers of the Silent Hill series is often wont to do.

Works Cited
Davidson, Gustav. A Dictionary of Angels including the fallen angels. New York: The Free Press, 1967.
Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle. Tokyo: Konami, 2003.
Silent Hill. Tokyo: Konami, 1999.
Silent Hill Official Guidebook Complete Edition. Tokyo: KCET, 1999.
Silent Hill: Origins. Tokyo: Konami, 2007.
- - -. “Hurried Note.” Silent Hill: Origins. El Segundo, CA: Konami, 2007.
- - -. “Repression and Coercion.” Silent Hill: Origins. El Segundo, CA: Konami, 2007.
- - -. “Yellowed Page.” Silent Hill: Origins. El Segundo, CA: Konami, 2007.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Last edited by The Adversary on 07 Jul 2008, edited 2 times in total.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Aug 2007
Notes left: 43
Last seen at: Australia
Thanks, always good to see a bit more of the complex process behind the development of Silent Hill.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Aww man, does this mean we have to accept supernatural beings that AREN'T mental manifestations now? Dag.

Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
A couple of things:

Regarding 7 years of disappearance

>“one of the 72 spirits that Solomon . . . shut up in a brass vessel and cast into a deep lake”
Toluca Lake then?
Any idea on how Dahlia retrieved it?

Regarding M.G. Lewis
Based on Mockingbird's thread.

I've searched around for M.G. Lewis and was redirected to a popular figure: Matthew Lewis, aka "Monk Lewis," an English dramatist who wrote the Gothic novel The Monk.
Here's the online edition of the novel.

From the plot summary, the well-respected monk, Ambrosio, was lured by Satan in female form to transgress, eventually lead to his downfall.
If the creators intended to draw a reference between SH:O's M.G. Lewis with Ambrosio, then Lewis' claim that the Flauros "was a weapon left by angels as a force of good" could be interpreted as fallible--Ambrosio was deceived by Satan to construe good in evil.
This would mean that the Flauros, while capable of sealing evil, is a creation of evil itself. I am not at all familiar with Solomon and the demon Hauros, so here's the question: where did the brass vessel in Solomon's possession originate from? Is it the a materialized object from his Seal of Solomon signet ring? Is Solomon magic derived from good or evil? Both?

To my knowledge, M.G. Lewis was not mentioned any other time in the series. The other "Lewis" was Joshua Lewis, a patient who claimed that there existed a demon in Joseph Barkin's box--but I think that's a bit far-fetched.

Regarding Cheryl

No question here, just like to give props to the idea that the accumulation of Alessa's power, her suffering, and Flauros altogether forged Cheryl's existence. Fits perfectly.

Great read!

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Aug 2003
Notes left: 1099
Last seen at: The most extreme and utter region of the human mind.
AuraTwilight wrote:
Aww man, does this mean we have to accept supernatural beings that AREN'T mental manifestations now? Dag.

Just because we know the historical and biblical information regarding the object, it doesn't mean that that object must literally be supernatural or even exist in the "real" world in Silent Hill. It is a reference to outside source material, and until evidence is presented to indicate otherwise, it is up to interpretation if such an object is to be taken metaphorically, literally, or both. Just like anything in the series.

In other words, this information doesn't disprove anything, it just offers insight into character and plot relationships.

“The sinister, the terrible never deceive: the state in which they leave us is always one of enlightenment. And only this condition of vicious insight allows us a full grasp of the world, all things considered, just as a frigid melancholy grants us full possession of ourselves. We may hide from horror only in the heart of horror."
--Thomas Ligotti

Post subject:

Quote:
Just because we know the historical and biblical information regarding the object, it doesn't mean that that object must literally be supernatural or even exist in the "real" world in Silent Hill. It is a reference to outside source material, and until evidence is presented to indicate otherwise, it is up to interpretation if such an object is to be taken metaphorically, literally, or both. Just like anything in the series.

In other words, this information doesn't disprove anything, it just offers insight into character and plot relationships.

That's what I was thinking, but I can't think of how or who would just imagine a demon encapsulated in a brass vessel into reality.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
>does this mean we have to accept supernatural beings that AREN'T mental manifestations now?
Well, I never believed that anyway, so yes. If nothing is actually real in the Silent Hill series, then nothing's actually happening--and that's just boring.

>Any idea on how Dahlia retrieved it?
Well, Dahlia came into possession of the Flauros from the "ancient ruins." How it got there, we don't know, but it's entirely possible that the ancient ruins (mentioned in the Silent Hill Official Guidebook Complete Edition) is the ceremonial area in which the final part of Silent Hill: Origins takes place. Otherwise I assume it was excavated from The Order's Chapel--which is also referred to as "ruins" in Lost Memories.

>where did the brass vessel in Solomon's possession originate from?
Not sure. Tales from then typically 86 the details that indicate how or why something happens (see: Lot's wife), and instead just say "This is what happened, deal w/ it."

>To my knowledge, M.G. Lewis was not mentioned any other time in the series.
He's not.

>a patient who claimed that there existed a demon in Joseph Barkin's box
When?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Quote:
Well, I never believed that anyway, so yes. If nothing is actually real in the Silent Hill series, then nothing's actually happening--and that's just boring.

Not necessarily. Just because the divinities are mental constructs made real by the town doesn't mean their power and influence is any less real. A God born from the imagination near Toluca Lake can still end the world in fire, etc.

Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
>>a patient who claimed that there existed a demon in Joseph Barkin's box
When?

When I didn't check my source properly :P

>>where did the brass vessel in Solomon's possession originate from?
Not sure. Tales from then typically 86 the details that indicate how or why something happens (see: Lot's wife), and instead just say "This is what happened, deal w/ it."

Figures. So we still have no clue to the Flauros' relativity.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 May 2006
Notes left: 369
Last seen at: Italy
Quote:
It seems as though when Hauras was freed from its cage and was defeated by Travis, Alessa managed to use the demon to strengthen her own powers—enough so to create a new self. If that power was always available to her, she should have used it immediately after being set ablaze (as we once assumed was the case). But she didn’t—because she couldn’t—and instead had to wait until Travis collected the five pieces of the device to reassemble it. When he did, Hauras was freed and used by Alessa to create Cheryl, and that set the stage for Harry Mason’s adventure seven years later—none of which Alessa could’ve done without being able to “piggyback” (“Repression and Coercion,” SH: O) into Travis’ mind and use the demon.

So you're assuming that Alessa voluntarily freed Hauras with the intent of exploiting it to gain the power to split her soul in two?

My version is that the final battle is some sort of learning process for Alessa to use the flauros; we know from the flashback that when the demon is contained it has the ability to focus powers, whilst when it is released it simply looses hell. Alessa wasn't able to exploit the flauros properly, accidentally released Hauras and her learning process ends when Travis beats the demon caging it back again.
Once learnt how to focus her powers via the flauros, she used it to create her other self.

Along with you died joy.
All that remains is despair and a future of meaningless tomorrows.

Post subject:

Quote:
So you're assuming that Alessa voluntarily freed Hauras with the intent of exploiting it to gain the power to split her soul in two?

That's exactly what he means.

Quote:
My version is that the final battle is some sort of learning process for Alessa to use the flauros; we know from the flashback that when the demon is contained it has the ability to focus powers, whilst when it is released it simply looses hell. Alessa wasn't able to exploit the flauros properly, accidentally released Hauras and her learning process ends when Travis beats the demon caging it back again.
Once learnt how to focus her powers via the flauros, she used it to create her other self.

Sure whips my "contract" idea. Adopted.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Nov 2003
Notes left: 837
Last seen at: Pennsylvania
To what extent was the Flauros "freed" before Travis engages it?

It appears, on the contrary, that Travis collapses and his consciousness moves to another reality where Hauras is already waiting for him. Perhaps he himself is moved into the Flauros where he has to defeat the creature in order for Alessa to take hold of its full power.

Similarly, the Otherworld has the strong motif about it being a mirror world, or a world of opposites. So when we see Travis holding out the Flauros to contain Hauras after the battle, this could be analogous to Hauras being released in the reality where the ritual is being conducted.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Mar 2004
Notes left: 3526
Last seen at: Waco, Texas
Reminds me of the Ark of the Covenant... Flauros tends to take on the characteristics of whatever context it's being used for whether it be good or bad.........I guess. :p

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Apr 2006
Notes left: 886
Last seen at: Bath/London UK
So where is it now?

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
^I do not think anyone knows.

I had expected to see it in SH3, but did not see it until SH:O. So, who is to say. SH3 is the latest game in the timeline, but the Flauros is unseen within that game.

Perhaps it was destroyed at the end of SH1, though I am not sure of that. I do not think it can be destroyed, by human hands nor human weapons. It seems to have been made by the hands of angels/demons, so I think it would take an angel/demon to destroy it.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Mar 2004
Notes left: 3526
Last seen at: Waco, Texas
I think that when the times comes for it to be used again It'd appear again.

Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Dec 2004
Notes left: 2560
Last seen at: Insomnia land, where I am Queen!
>where the town's former residents once conducted rituals<
Why did I misread that to say something about farmers? *sigh* :)

Anyway, very nice observations here, Thomas. So, the Flauros will bend to the will of its user? I was, and I think I may have addressed this, confused as to why Alessa is able to use it in Origins, but it is used against her in the first game.

It is possible that the Flauros is lost for now from humans. It was used at the end of the first game, and when that happened, Nowhere was created because Alessa lost control of her magic. So pretty much the last known location of the Flauros is the Nowhere world of Silent Hill 1, which was pretty much destroyed at the end of the game. So it might be caught in that particular version of the otherworld, if that makes sense.

Peachy's Predictions on Tumblr
Peachy's Predictions. on LiveJournal

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 May 2006
Notes left: 369
Last seen at: Italy
Rob Matter wrote:
To what extent was the Flauros "freed" before Travis engages it?

It appears, on the contrary, that Travis collapses and his consciousness moves to another reality where Hauras is already waiting for him. Perhaps he himself is moved into the Flauros where he has to defeat the creature in order for Alessa to take hold of its full power.

Since the official name of the last boss is Alessa's dream, we can assume that the battle itself happens in the mind of the sleeping Alessa (the real one) - as I theorized above, symbolizing a learning process for her to use the Flauros.
The moment in which Hauras comes back inside its cage symbolizes then an acquired ability: Alessa is now ready to exploit the power of the demon for her purpose. Her projected self will do this, giving birth to Cheryl.

Along with you died joy.
All that remains is despair and a future of meaningless tomorrows.

Post subject:

Quote:
SH3 is the latest game in the timeline

SH4 actually.

Quote:
Perhaps it was destroyed at the end of SH1, though I am not sure of that. I do not think it can be destroyed, by human hands nor human weapons. It seems to have been made by the hands of angels/demons, so I think it would take an angel/demon to destroy it.

I forget, did Harry still have the Flauros after it was used on Alessa? If so, perhaps he kept it and it's in a drawer somewhere, or maybe he traded it to procure some Algaophotis. If he doesn't have it, maybe it was lost in Alessa's Otherworld.

Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Dec 2004
Notes left: 2560
Last seen at: Insomnia land, where I am Queen!
^Isn't that last part pretty much what I said, Aura? That the Flauros might be trapped or destroyed in Nowhere? Are you trying to steal my brilliant ideas, Aura? :mrgreen: j/k

Peachy's Predictions on Tumblr
Peachy's Predictions. on LiveJournal