Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 24 Feb 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Where did your love for SH begin?

Missing since: 05 Jan 2006
Notes left: 217
Last seen at: .au
So I had a skim through the forums and couldn't find a similar topic so I pose you this question:

What was the first SH game you played / owned and what made you play it / buy it?

Personally, I have always had a fondness for the supernatural and unexplained, that started with the first couple of series of X-Files (when they where chasing creatures and not government conspiracies).

The impending release of GTA3 for PS2 finally convinced me I needed a PS2, but I wanted to see what the current game library looked like. So after a little perusing, I stumble upon a teaser for an upcoming game that sent chills through me and stayed in mind until it was released: Silent Hill 2.

SH2 was the first SH I've owned, and it's my favourite. I'm absolutely biased towards it against any other of the series. Kinda a first love thing. To quote myself (out of laziness):

godspiel wrote:
I've only ever played it at night, in the dark, alone, sound all the way up. The fear that you feel, no other game can make you feel this way. Not even RE, with it's pop out shenanigans (don't get me wrong, I love RE also). It's a shame, once you complete the game and replay it, it's never the same.

So SH2 broke my cherry, how about you?

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 Nov 2005
Notes left: 429
Last seen at: Teen Town
I first played Silent Hill 3, though it was not the first I finished. I played it because of the commercial.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Feb 2004
Notes left: 3094
Last seen at: Deep Inside
About 5 yrs ago.
My nephews are responsible. My mom babysat the kids, her grandsons, so everyday when I'd wake up for work and when I got home, they were there.
They always played PS, I never really paid much attention to it.
One day home alone and bored, I turned on there PS1 and started playing, it was SH, I was completely blown away, I played and played till I finished. A few days later, I went out and bought a PS1 and SH, I asked the guy what games were like it, he recommended RE, so I also bought RE1, 2 and 3.
RE was not as good, but satisfying. Till this day, I still haven't found a game as good as SH1.
That's how I got into playing.

Last edited by GioGio on 13 Jan 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jun 2004
Notes left: 76
Last seen at: MSU
My half-sister's dad reccomended a game once but he gave me the wrong name, so I went and borrowed Silent Hill from the neighbors and played it. I was a survival-horror junkie since my first RE experience, and it boded well with me. Plus I'd only had the ps for a little while and Silent Hill graphics seemed movie quality to me.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Nov 2005
Notes left: 1748
Last seen at: Southeast of Greenwich...somewhere sandy.
When I bought SH1 a couple months after it came out.
Harry walking up the alley, lighting dims, corpse hanging,
Mumbler attack with an inevitable death and an incredibly
eerie atmosphere. Right up my alley :twisted:

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Apr 2005
Notes left: 699
My mate had SH2, but he'd never really played it, and we were all staying over at his, and I suggested something like "Yeah I hear that's supposed to be good, lets play that" and we had all the lights off, and it was 2 in the morning, and we were just like: Shiiiit....
And now everyone else likes 'horror nights' and I am the group SH obsessive.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 May 2005
Notes left: 330
It was given to me as a gift. SH1. Found it really interesting (the story) and I wanted to get the pS2 for Silent Hill 2. Yeah and it started there.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Dec 2005
Notes left: 35
If I recall there was a demo of Silent Hill (mostly just parts of the School) on Pizza Hut Playstation cross promotion disks. They had a ton of junk games on them, but when I finally tried out Silent Hill I was hooked.

Post subject:

My ex-girlfriend's sister bought SH1 in 1999ish. I thought it looked good, so we played it for about a week & completed it. I've been hooked ever since.

First SH game I bought was SH2. I bought it a few days after I got my PS2, so we're talking 2002ish. Since then it's become my second favourite game of all time. One of the best stories told in any form of media ever.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Jan 2006
Notes left: 78
Last seen at: Widnes,England
at the beginning (SH1) my very sexy friend lent it me and from there i was hooked

Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Jun 2005
Notes left: 7464
Last seen at: Kentucky
I rented SH2 from my town movie store...was a very interesting experience. I had never heard of the games as of then.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Jan 2006
Notes left: 120
Last seen at: Salt Lake City, Utah
I was at softwear ect., and it was the demo game on the PSX... I played it to the otherworld school, then they kicked me off.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jul 2004
Notes left: 574
Last seen at: Exam Room
I found a copy of the Platinum Hits version of SH2 at a used game store in town for 10 bucks. I had heard about the series but hadn't played it before. So I bought it and it's never been far from my Xbox.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Nov 2005
Notes left: 1676
Last seen at: UK
I was told by a friend that I really needed to play it. I was like "how can a game be that scary?". So I went out and bought the first Silent Hill and ate my words. :P

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Dec 2005
Notes left: 221
Last seen at: Heaven's Night
Definitely SH1 did it for me. I fell in love with the series ever since. It was like no other game out there, of course RE was out, but RE never made me use my brain and actually think to try in making sense on what the hell is going in this game. RE was just plain and simple, virus outbreak, zombies everywhere, kill everything in sight, get out alive, the end. But SH always had that “wtf is going on here” feeling, you really had to pay attention to detail, to try and make sense on what’s going on and understand the deep involving story well, and once you find out what’s going on it sent chills down your spine, then you were asking yourself you were better of not knowing. :o

Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11963
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
The actual day Silent Hill 1 came out, I rented it, and loved it from the opening licks of the Theme Song. By the time I reached the alley, I knew that my opinion of survival horror was to be forever changed.

And thus the obsession began.

By the bright lights in some ICU on my chest you put your head
and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Jul 2005
Notes left: 2174
Last seen at: Plus Forty Seven Degrees 56' 37" Minus Sixteen Degrees 51' 08"
A rather funny story. In a certain day, I said to myself: "Shit, I´m bored, I need to buy a ps2 game". I went to a shop with my father, started to look at some games, and I picked up Half Life, for ps2. Then, my father recognised the cover of it and said that a friend of his had it and that he could lend it to me. Fine. I started to look again, and I saw the cover of sh3. I was immediatly attracted by it:

I started to remeber that I wanted real badly to buy sh2, the year before, but I couldn´t remeber why. I thought I could give a chance to sh3, so I boughted it. If it wasn´t for my father, my love for SH would probably never appear.[/img]

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Mar 2005
Notes left: 188
I saw a demo of Silent Hill for 4 for the xbox. I soon rented both SH4 and Silent Hill 2. The next Christmas I got both those games. It took me a while, but I then got SH1 for the PS1
I'm hoping to get SH3 soon

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Mar 2005
Notes left: 269
Last seen at: Burning on the Angry Chair.
Well it all started when my brother forced me to sit with him and read the strategy guide to sh3 while he played.He was all like : i got this game called sh3 and it's way scarier and better than
RE series.I just loved it so much, especially the first part where you encounter a closer.I instantly liked it. I did'nt know exactly what it was but i just liked. I still did'nt play for a while because i was working on other game titles but when i saw the final seen with PH in sh2 i had to play.I intended on playing 2 but i got confused and thought ph was in 3 so i played the series in this order:
1.sh3
2.sh2
3.some of 4 and i've yet to play sh1, but soon very soon....

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Aug 2005
Notes left: 283
Last seen at: Canada
I rented Silent Hill 2 on the PC, and had never heard of it before then.

Played up until Blue Creek Apartments, but didn't know about the map and flashlight so i stopped.... but i remembered how DISTURBED i felt walking through Silent Hill late at night with headphones on.

Didn't come back to SH2 until Silent Hill 3 was about to come out, so i used a Strategy Guide for the first part and couldn't stop after that. I was blown away! When i finally finished SH2 i knew from that point on my life had changed. I could never look at other video games the same way again.

Since i didn't really understand everything in the game i found this site.

I got SH3 the day it came out on the PC and after that was finished i got SH1 from a friend and played it on the PC with a PSX Emulator.

Got SH4 that day it came out too.

Now i play these games on my Home Theater with a 110" screen and 7.1 sound.

Now i'm a SH Nut like you guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUApYMWbUPA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next