Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 26 May 2018

Post subject: Why doesn't anyone do something about SH?

I mean.. their is a town that makes people go crazy, anyone sucked into it usually dies or kills something or whatever. Why arn't the proper authorites quarantining this place or investigating it? Has everyone forgotten it's existence?

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Dec 2005
Notes left: 85
Imagine you survive your trip to Silent Hill.

What would happen if you went to some kind of police or investigators and tell them whats going on there

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Nothing has really happened to the town. The Otherside and the alternate realities are just those: alternate realities, experienced by only select people. The rest of Silent Hill goes about its merry way, completely oblivious.

So, then you have a few people who go nuts. An odd number for a small town in western Maine, but hardly enough to do anything remotely drastic.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jul 2004
Notes left: 574
Last seen at: Exam Room
Exactly. Even if you somehow were to tell someone about your experiences there, who is going to believe your story?

Post subject:

Are you saying it's a normal town? Like... people actually live there, and it's just a few whackos?

Post subject:

More than just a few.

Silent Hill is just like any other town. It has a crime rate, murders, and missing poeple.

Are you gonna quarantine every other town in the USA too?

Outside of Silent Hill 1, if you manage to see the dark otherside, you probably won't be coming back to tell anyone about it.

Besides, why should you do anything about it? Those who fall victim to it fall at their own fault. It's not hurting or affecting anyone that it should not.

Now, if you want to ask why they don't do anything to the cult members? They do...They've busted plenty of them, investigated them, etc...

Post subject:

I just always thought it was a ghost town.

Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11977
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
The people who get sucked into Silent Hill's alternate reality simply don't survive. There's no one to talk, besides Laura, and who can say how much she knows? She just saw the normal town, or an empty town. She wasn't being punished.

Angela, Eddie, James, Harry, Dahlia, Kaufmann, Cybil; all dead. The dead can't talk. Heather has no reason to tell anybody.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
There's three different layers to Silent Hill--we never see the real town in the games, but characters have certainly been there. James, Mary, and Henry to name a few. This town is just like any other town--sometimes weird disappearances happen, but primarily it's a calm and peaceful place. The two other layers--"foggy" and "the otherside/dark/nightmare"--are the only layers we, the gamers, see of the town.

Post subject:

Drewfus wrote:
The people who get sucked into Silent Hill's alternate reality simply don't survive. There's no one to talk, besides Laura, and who can say how much she knows? She just saw the normal town, or an empty town. She wasn't being punished.

Angela, Eddie, James, Harry, Dahlia, Kaufmann, Cybil; all dead. The dead can't talk. Heather has no reason to tell anybody.

Henry, Eileen, James, Harry, Laura, Heather and Douglas all survived Silent Hill.

Post subject:

Harry kept his mouth shut, though. Also, he's dead now.

There's nothing to say that Henry, Eileen, Douglas, or James survived Silent Hill. It all depends on what ending is the true one, and until Team Silent confirms one for SH2, 3, and 4 either in interviews or in future games, their final fates are up in the air.

James disappeared. Being the cynic I am, he's a good as dead as far as I'm concerned.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Post subject:

Then neither one of us may potentially be correct, if and until these outcomes are verified.

Honestly, I seriously doubt the validity of the Possessed ending, simply because I think if a Heather possessed by God were stalking around, it would have had at least some bearing on SH4, since its story is in some ways a continuance of 3's story arc. So I'm going with Doug having survived.

Post subject:

Heather could still exercise some control over what she does. She has a perfectly valid reason for killing Douglas: He led The Order right to her doorstep and got her father killed and her life ruined.

I imagined a scenario in which Heather offed Douglas, then retreated into her own reality.

I guess I just desperately cling to the Posessed ending because Normal was SO FUCKING STUPID.

*ahem*

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Post subject:

Drewfus wrote:
Heather could still exercise some control over what she does. She has a perfectly valid reason for killing Douglas: He led The Order right to her doorstep and got her father killed and her life ruined.

I imagined a scenario in which Heather offed Douglas, then retreated into her own reality.

I guess I just desperately cling to the Posessed ending because Normal was SO FUCKING STUPID.

*ahem*

Basically every interaction between Heather and Douglas from the car ride on does not in any way suggest a Heather who would do something like that. She knows he was a dupe. They grow closer as the game progresses. She feels genuine concern for Douglas, first in regards to his broken leg, then by trying to convince him things are going to be okay.

I can't accept that same person would then turn around and kill him in anger. She had a vendetta, and it was against Claudia. Even when presented opportunities to gun Claudia down in cold blood, she couldn't do it, and she had ten times as much reason to do it to her as she might have had to do it to Doug.

Besides, Normal wasn't stupid at all. Sure, Heather acts silly... she's just been through something so terrifically stressful that most people wouldn't be able to survive it with their sanity intact. She's being silly to blow some stress. People tend to do that, and I can't blame her for doing it now.

Normal is kinda silly. Possessed makes no fucking sense, it's another over-glorified Game Over screen in the proud tradition of Bad and In Water.

Post subject:

Please, you can't even compare In Water to trash like the Bad ending.

I just don't buy the "blondes have more fun" line. Her dad just fucking died. Her life has been outted as a sham, and she's the soulless offspring of her abused former self. No one would make such a trite, stupid joke at a time like that.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Post subject:

Drewfus wrote:
Please, you can't even compare In Water to trash like the Bad ending.

I just don't buy the "blondes have more fun" line. Her dad just fucking died. Her life has been outted as a sham, and she's the soulless offspring of her abused former self. No one would make such a trite, stupid joke at a time like that.

I think Bad is just as valid an ending as In Water.

Yes, her dad just fucking died. Her life is a sham. Everything has gone to hell. There are several ways of coping with this.

One, you can go crazy.

Two, you can retreat into a deadly depression.

Three, you can try your best to pick up the pieces and go on.

The joke was stupid. Any joke would have been. She could have done a number from The Producers and it wouldn't have been any less stupid. But it relieved some of the tension. That was the point. She wasn't really looking for a laugh, she was trying not to go crazy. People do this in different ways. Telling a bad joke was her way, and she's hardly the only one.

A friend of mine died earlier this month, he was a big Steelers fan like I was. When he died, I made a joke about it, to the effect of "his heart gave out because of how bad the team was playing", as they were on a three-game losing streak. It was a bad joke, but I made it anyway, in the presence of some of his other friends, because I know he would have laughed at it if he were there to hear it.

Some people make light of the situation to at least temporarily avoid the crap of reality. That's what she did, and I think it perfectly suits her character.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Jul 2004
Notes left: 2565
Last seen at: Centralia
My condolences about your friend, Alone. And I agree with you entirely on your post. Sorry to go against you Drew, and although it is hard to believe, it makes more sense then just saying Heather is an unrealistic character.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Mar 2005
Notes left: 269
Last seen at: Burning on the Angry Chair.
Even if someone reported the town to the police and they believed him/her , what could the cops
realy do to a town thats periodically overun with creatures? I mean they probably would'nt even be able to see the delusions and even if they could they probably would just have to shoot at the
monsters.But killing the monsters is'nt truly solving the problem of the town either.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Aug 2005
Notes left: 751
Last seen at: Connecticut
Honestly though, what would anyone be able to to exactly?
Yeah, nevermind, looks like that's already been asked.

Post subject:

Drewfus wrote:

Shock does funny things to you. That line seemed quite appropriate, to me.

It's the whole "you're still alive" bit that made me turn my head. Too far, Heather Morris and the script people.