Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 23 Sep 2019

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Echoes & Memories (Free-falling spoilers; Revised).

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
It's been like, a year and a half since I last came up with a theory. That is L A M E.

Quote:
The souls of those who died suddenly by suicide or accident don't realize they're dead. Sometimes they stay put and haunt that particular place. These spirits have lost their human senses and memories and can only keep replaying the pain and sadness of the moment they died. The pain can get so bad that they turn to humans for salvation -- or they begrudge humans their lives. At such times they can possess humans. Places known as "famous suicide spots" or "high-accident areas" are often to blame. You should be careful when approaching such locations, especially on the day or at the time the death occurred. That is, if you don't want it to happen to you, too...

This memo can be found in the subway during Silent Hill 3, right before the platform where Heather gets pushed onto the tracks. While I’m quite aware that some of you may brush it off and see it as little to no regard to what I’m about to say (and to those very same I suggest you hit “Back” on your browser and go somewhere else) I’m not too worried about naysayers considering this is something I think fits. If it works for me, that’s fine. If it works for others: neat. Just remember that I’m not basing my entire theory around the memo, the memo was simply the trigger for the idea.

In Silent Hill 3 there are several instances of echoes & memories—Heather remembering her past life as Alessa, the image of Lisa in the Seal of Metatron at the hospital and more importantly an instance that ties in perfectly with the aforementioned memo: the Memory of Alessa boss in the Amusement Park (that’s even the official name for the encounter). This “Memory” is a manifestation of Alessa’s desire to end her & God’s life to prevent the cult’s plan from coming to fruition, but the word Memory is a tricky one. Is it just a thought, a lingering trace of Alessa’s desire that sprung to life, or is it quite simply a brand of Alessa left on the Amusement Park from Harry’s first journey there seventeen years prior? It was here that Harry used the Flauros to prevent Alessa from being able to complete the Virun VII Crest, and afterwards the reality that Harry was caught in slowly started to crumble (as evidence by Lisa’s behaviour and the lack of order in Nowhere). It’s not that Alessa died here, but her plans were aborted, cut short and Dahlia was able to get the upper-hand and regain control. A trace of Alessa—a Memory of her—remains in the Otherside because of Harry's intervention and her abrupt disruption of casting the Seals/Crests. Surely she perished unnaturally, accidentally if you want to get technical about it, and it would stand to reason that there would be fragments of her left in the Otherside.

Another echo & memory that I wanted to mention was Lisa. Not so much the one that you meet in the game, but rather the Lisa in one of the endings. Her blood-drenched specter emerges from the ground and absconds with Kaufmann to an unknowable fate—presumably Hell, for what he did to her while she was alive. What’s interesting, however, is that most people believe that Lisa turned into a Demon Nurse after the Flauros was used: this would make it a bit complicated to explain why she could appear again later in the game. To be re-animated, die, and then re-animated again only for a brief chance at vengeance seems a little odd. My theory is that Lisa also has an Echo in the Otherside much like Alessa. While Lisa has no power of her own, she was given a significant honor of being the Virun VII Crest’s manifestation—that in itself is a power, considering what the Crest was being used for. After the successful Flauros gambit, Lisa did not transfigure into a Demon Nurse but quite simply disappeared or faded into the Otherside, her physical representation destroyed and useless, very much like the Crests Alessa had been drawing around town. Her Memory emerges during one of the game’s finales, and in Silent Hill 3 when you examine the Crest on the wall. Her death was not a natural one no matter what theory you believe. If you believe that Kaufmann was the result of her death, than surely that’s not a natural way for her to pass on. If you believe that her existence was eradicated in Nowhere at the end of the game that’s most certainly an unnatural passing as well.

Another important tie to echoes & memories is the entirety of SH4: Walter's victim that continuously haunt and hound Henry and the man himself, Walter. These victims might not be the actual body roaming around but their souls, imprints and what-have-you. Especially in the case of Herr Schreiber, stuck in Room 302 of the Past as a shadow.

Summary: I’m well aware that the memo itself says these ghosts have no remains of memories from their lives, but as I said earlier I’m not basing the theory off of the memo, only that the memo gave me this idea. And as if I hadn’t made it plain enough already the ghosts are the memories, the echoes, of who they were in life, lingering and wandering in the Otherside. Heather regains most if not all of her knowledge of her former self whilst in the Otherside, and the two Memories mentioned make their only appearances in this reality.

Edit'd for spelling errors and a small point at the end.

Last edited by Mis Krist. on 21 Sep 2007, edited 4 times in total.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Nov 2005
Notes left: 1748
Last seen at: Southeast of Greenwich...somewhere sandy.
Outstanding observation!!! Very insightful. Of course, the Ghost or spirit
within the subway that pushes Heather onto the tracks probably did not
have a reason to try to kill her other than having an envy for the living.
Or was he re-enacting his own demise/tragedy? Will he continue to kill
until either the memory fades or he be banished? This negative memory,
I think, will continue it's agenda possibly until it is satisfied, just like Lisa who
seized Kaufmann at the end of the Good+ ending of SH1.
Love your observation about the Otherside/Normal regarding these
memories made manifest. Kudos!

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Dec 2005
Notes left: 1123
Last seen at: Wherever Mother Claudia sends me.
It's not lame. It's more true than you think it is. No one know how a ghost or haunting is created. One theory is that it's a psychic impression left behind by a horrible event or by people that express and had such extreme emotion and/or stress that the emotions and/or stress is imprinted at the location on a level that we human have yet to fully understand. When we go to this locations the psychic impressions echo back at us and reminding us of what happend there.

Sometimes you only feel emotion. Ever read the diary or the writings of a deceased realitive that you were close to? When read their words did you feel that they were with you as you read? Did you ever feel yourself being taken back in time to the event they wrote of? In that moment did you feel you understood them in a way that bond you even more to that person? Maybe it was an item that belonged to them and everytime to you touch or near the item you felt like they were watching over you and protecting you.

Echoes and Memories exist in this world. They can be evil incarnated or goodness exalted. One should be careful and respect such things. Because without memories what are we? No Krist it's not a lame theory it's very true.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Thank you both for your kind words and additional comments. :)

Quote:
Of course, the Ghost or spirit
within the subway that pushes Heather onto the tracks probably did not
have a reason to try to kill her other than having an envy for the living.
Or was he re-enacting his own demise/tragedy?

I know, which is why I said that the memo created the idea, not so much I was basing the idea off of the entire information provided in the memo. Which may sound confusing, I guess. The newspaper article about the incident states that witnesses say he wasn't inebriated and seemed to deliberately jump onto the track. And I'm not sure if he'd continue acting out against the living; perhaps the instance where he pushes Heather was akin to Lisa seizing Kaufmann.

Thank you very much, Disciple. :) Truly I wasn't expecting these responses, they make me rather happy that I bothered posting the idea.. And I pretty much agree with everything you've said in your post, there's no need to repeat an already well-written explanation.