Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 26 May 2018

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Japanese Magazine Masashi Tsuboyama Interview

Missing since: 11 Apr 2006
Notes left: 248
Last seen at: Somewhere in my mind
Silent Hill 5 is under large rumors lately because of the lack of communication between Konami and the fans. Electric Shock magazine have had the chance to speak with Masashi Tsuboyama, the cheif director, about the next Silent Hill game.

DP: Tsuboyama-san, rumours of Silent Hill 5 have been spreading but lack of official word is causing some doubt in the fanbase. Can you state if you are officially developing Silent Hill for next generation consoles?

Tsuboyama-san: Konami are yet to release an official statement regarding Silent Hill 5 which means we cannot comment on progress until we are given the OK. However I can say that we have some ideas down and perhaps something to show in the year future.

DP: Have you made any thoughts on the platform which Silent Hill will appear?

Tsuboyama-san: Like I said, we only have ideas but we have been assessing next-generation consoles such as Sony's Playstation 3. We have looked at other consoles too but they exact limitations which could delay progress. We have not decided the console yet.

DP: Would going multi-platform be an option?

Tsuboyama-san: Silent Hill 1 to 3 have all been multi platform appearing on either Playstation 3, Xbox or PC. This was when we were working at DVD level with no HD needed. Mutli-Platform will be discussed but nothing is certain yet.

DP: PS3 uses Blu-Ray technology, would you actually need this or is it just a novelty?

Blu-Ray will be a great asset to the developer in the future. 50GB of storage is a huge jump from what we had [9BG Dual Layer] at DVD level. Saying that, we have not had too much trouble fitting the games on a CD as was the case with Silent Hill for Playstation or DVD for Silent Hill's 2 to 4 but in those times we have not had HD involved and more complex environments and detailed character models which next-gen allows.

DP: Are these limitations involving the Playstation 3's cell processor which is hard to utilize?

Tsuboyama-san: The Playstation 3 is a complex piece of hardware. With that limitation once worked around can result in something wonderful. Which is why the playstation 3 is harder to develop for because its new but when we work round the idea then it can rise above the other lead consoles in processing power.

DP: Would console sales aid your choice?

Tsuboyama-san: Nintendo and Microsoft have a strong lead ahead Playstation 3 in the West. This im sure will pass if the price drops and when games which appeal to the wider audience arrive. A large thing I noticed for Western shores is that Playstation 3 doesn't have any soccer games! I know the popularity of soccer in the west so Konami are delighted to be making such a sought-after game.

DP: Microsoft Xbox 360 sales are low in Japan and the Playstation 3 sales are declining. While these decline PS2 sales are stable and Wii sales are quite high. Does this suggest that its not the right time for next gen?

Tsuboyama-san: The Xbox 360 is definatly a candidate. However the sales are Japan are unimpressive. It does have a large installed based in the West though which will be looked at. While Nintendo Wii sales are very high, and i applaude Nintendo for their sucess, I dont think Silent Hill is a game that would be sold on Nintendo Wii as much as a game like Zelda would worldwide. This by no means says we will not consider the idea but the general opinion is that Wii is for family games and im sure the fans don't play Silent Hill with their grandma!

DP: The consoles vary in terms of processing power, output and control, who could this effect the choice?

Tsuboyama-san: Yes and no. Like before mentioned, Playstation 3 is complicated to work with but gives a excellent result. It also offers a HDD "install" functions to cut load times like Genji: Days of the Blade uses and words very well. Nintendo Wii would be easier to make for but the control scheme would be hard to implement in a Silent Hill game.

DP: Can we expect an announcement at this years E3 in July?

Tsuboyama-san: [Laughs] Konami have a Press Conferance on Wednesday July 11th at 5:45. Im not saying Silent Hill 5 will definatly be there but you should be!

DP: Thank you for your time Tsuboyama-san.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jun 2005
Notes left: 607
Last seen at: Bournemouth, England
Yeah, because we like vague don't we :?

Is this an example of Konami having fuck all respect for their fans or have they actually got no idea what they're doing as far as goes SH5?

On an unrelated note - 1,000th post, baby! :D 8) :shock: :D 8)

Add me on MySpazz!

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3343
Cool! Sounds like Team Silent's thinking about taking full advantage of HD visuals and graphics using Blu-Ray and the full processing potential of the Cell Processor! PS3 is definately a prime candidate for the SH games and I hope they do some amazing things with it! :D

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
Heh. Yeah, the reason I haven't bought blown $600 on a PS3 is because there are no soccer games...

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 May 2006
Notes left: 1096
Last seen at: Mormons HQ
We will see if they decide to pack that game in DVD9 especially for X360 or they go for it and annouce PS3-only, which honestly would be better for this game

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2007
Notes left: 113
Last seen at: Cali, Colombia
well, i think that they still not saying nothing really in deep about what gonna be the SH5, i hope that the give information soon, im diying waiting a new silent hill, i wanna see new horrors :twisted:

[img]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/larcont/CopiadelarcontFIX.jpg[/img]

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Oct 2006
Notes left: 921
Last seen at: Southern WI
A large thing I noticed for Western shores is that Playstation 3 doesn't have any soccer games! I know the popularity of soccer in the west so Konami are delighted to be making such a sought-after game.

I assume he means Europe and South America here, because the U.S. has no love for soccer..

Post subject:

Missing since: 02 May 2006
Notes left: 1937
well, speaking relatively from the Japanese's point of view, they STILL are Western shores...

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Apr 2006
Notes left: 583
Last seen at: Lakeside Amusement Park
What! I thought everybody play the game with their granny.

Phantom Allure wrote:
well, speaking relatively from the Japanese's point of view, they STILL are Western shores...

Actually, though Japanese do consider themselves to be at the "east", their world map always show Japan in the center of the map; hence North America is the Eastern shore. :D

Post subject:

Missing since: 02 May 2006
Notes left: 1937
^me speaks 'bout Europe and the eastern side of South America :)

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Feb 2007
Notes left: 519
Last seen at: Funky town! :O
BloodRedLion wrote:
A large thing I noticed for Western shores is that Playstation 3 doesn't have any soccer games! I know the popularity of soccer in the west so Konami are delighted to be making such a sought-after game.

I assume he means Europe and South America here, because the U.S. has no love for soccer..

Quit your filthy lies. :O Just cause we don't have violent soccer hooligans doesn't mean we don't have soccer videogames.

Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Jan 2004
Notes left: 3940
Last seen at: Naaarwich, UK
'Fucks sake.. This means that either the game is in pre-production (likely) or they are lying and they will show us a trailer at E3 (much less likely).

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 May 2006
Notes left: 652
Last seen at: San Luis Obispo, CA
Konami can brag all they about the superiority of the PS3's hardware, but they better fucking make a SH5 for the 360 because I'm not going to spend a grand total of $700+ to play it. If other Japanese video game companies don't aggressively pursue after the Western market, Capcom is going to rake in all the cash.

Also; can they just be honest with us once for pete's sake and tell us on the progress of SH5? It's been like, 3 years since we've seen a Silent Hill title (and a lukewarm one at that).

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Aug 2005
Notes left: 157
Last seen at: Reading, PA
This is actually a pretty revealing article.. It all but confirms that SH5 will be developed from the ground up for PS3 and that it will possibly have an E3 showing. Both very exciting prospects to me.

I think SH5 will follow as other SH games have.. Optimized for Playstation then ported to XBOX after some time. Maybe timed exclusivity. As far as the E3 thing goes, I'd say it's about time, this game has to have been in development for at least 2 years now.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 May 2006
Notes left: 652
Last seen at: San Luis Obispo, CA
SteveSilent wrote:
This is actually a pretty revealing article.. It all but confirms that SH5 will be developed from the ground up for PS3 and that it will possibly have an E3 showing. Both very exciting prospects to me.

It's common sense that they'll be developing for the console that's been their home for two generations and four games. However, I hope they also don't forget that they developed for the Xbox as well.

And SH5 showing up at this year's E3? I highly doubt it, unless Konami takes pleasure into letting their fans become tormented at the lack of information about the next release.

Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3343
Most likely it will be multi-platform just as all the other games... at least to PC...

But I'm definately loving the idea that they will try and optimize it for PS3 with Blu-Ray and the Cell. Then they can worry about porting it after...

Also aren't we forgetting the cool PS HOME stuff like 3D throphies and creepy stuff that we can decorate our rooms with? :D I see so many cool possibilities! :mrgreen:

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jul 2003
Notes left: 2368
CasuallyDressed wrote:
Is this an example of Konami having fuck all respect for their fans or have they actually got no idea what they're doing as far as goes SH5?

I'm about 70 percent sure that this is a hoax.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Feb 2007
Notes left: 111
Last seen at: Here
jdnation wrote:
Also aren't we forgetting the cool PS HOME stuff like 3D throphies and creepy stuff that we can decorate our rooms with? I see so many cool possibilities!

Man, that'd be so freaking awesome. I can't wait until HOME comes out; my PS3 is desperately awaiting it.

Anyways, I'm actually glad Konami has not given us any clues as to what SH5 will be like. I think it'd be too early to say anything.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Jun 2007
Notes left: 44
man i was thinking i would never buy a ps3...etc but for silent hill i gota T-T

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Burning Man wrote:
CasuallyDressed wrote:

I'm about 70 percent sure that this is a hoax.

The other 30% being...? Just curious.