Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 26 May 2018

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: SH2 is superior to SH3.

Missing since: 10 Jun 2006
Notes left: 251
Last seen at: The Void of Despair
Y'know, alot of people say SH3 is better then SH2, and it is pretty easy to understand why.
1: It's more frightning.
2: Slightly better graphics.
3: More unlockables.
And i'm sure there are other reasons.

However.
I believe SH2 is not exactly better, but I do think it is 'superior' to SH3. I believe this for a few reasons.

1: Exploration.
Let's face it people, the amount of exploration in SH3 is pathetic compared to SH1, SH2 and SH4.
For example; In a building full of 100 rooms, you would only be able to open 10 of them. The other SH games were full of exploration oppertunity, but SH3 fails to have any exploration what so ever. SH3 is is almost like a straight forward level game. In SH3 there were only 3 rooms you didn't have to enter.

2: Music.
While I do like the music in SH3, I do feel there is too much music in it for a SH game. 90% of the places you go, there is always some music in the background. And I feel this doesn't stick true to SH series.

3: Endings.
This I think REALLY drags SH3 down. The game only has 3 endings. Normal, Possessed and Revenge. That's it. And what you have to do to get the Possessed ending is, I think, crazy. If you are playing on hard mode, I don't think many people have the means to kill over 100 monsters and get 2000 points of damage. I've played the game over 10 times and i've only ever seen the possessed ending once. And the Revenge ending is a comedy one, so I don't really think it counts.

Now i'm NOT saying SH2 id better then SH3, I am just saying that I feel SH2 is superior to SH3 because it sticks more true to the SH series in terms of exloration, music and endings.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 May 2007
Notes left: 37
Last seen at: In Heather's wildest dreams.
Agree.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
aren't "Better" and "superior" the same thing? Also, you forgot the ending where Heather gives birth to the God.

Another reason I feel "SH2 > SH3" was that SH2 had the much awesomer story. Emo psychodrama and fat f*cks with sociopathy beats demonic cults and pregnant saints any day.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Apr 2006
Notes left: 50
Last seen at: USA
I'm sorry, but I think SH2 was far too schlocky and easy, far too easy, and the game play was inferior. Even when playing SH, where the game play is certainly not the main factor, I couldn't handle SH2.

Last edited by EyeNixon on 12 May 2007, edited 1 time in total.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Sep 2006
Notes left: 353
Last seen at: U.S.
SH2 is, I think, the best out of all 4 games.

It's got story and drama and has the most endings, 4 normal ones and 2 hidden ones.

What gets me down in SH3 the most is that half of the game takes place outside of Silent Hill and the exploration really is, well, not there, wheres in SH2, you could explore most of the town to find extra healling and ammo items.

The story of SH3 is quite hard to follow and most people prefer the twistedness of SH2 more anyways. I was never into this cult crap and I think it should be thrown out of the window.

EDIT: Too shlocky and easy? Ok, go back and play it on Hard difficulty and Hard riddle level, that oughta change your mind.

Last edited by Allen on 12 May 2007, edited 1 time in total.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Apr 2006
Notes left: 50
Last seen at: USA
Allen wrote:
SH2 is, I think, the best out of all 4 games.

It's got story and drama and has the most endings, 4 normal ones and 2 hidden ones.

What gets me down in SH3 the most is that half of the game takes place outside of Silent Hill and the exploration really is, well, not there, wheres in SH2, you could explore most of the town to find extra healling and ammo items.

The story of SH3 is quite hard to follow and most people prefer the twistedness of SH2 more anyways. I was never into this cult crap and I think it should be thrown out of the window.

The cult crap is essentially one of the bigger parts of SH.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

The cult may be a much bigger part of SH, but it's been used and I've heard it from 30 other people, they don't like it. It's not even up to that twisted level of fucked up that the other games have anyways.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Mar 2005
Notes left: 269
Last seen at: Burning on the Angry Chair.
Its a matter of opinion.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 May 2007
Notes left: 37
Last seen at: In Heather's wildest dreams.
I conceive that without the cult "crap" Silent Hill wouldn't be Silent Hill.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Oct 2006
Notes left: 921
Last seen at: Southern WI
The "cult crap" is largely main backdrop of the entire series, save for part 2. If you don't like it, why on earth are you interested in the series?

This topic is slightly pointless, however. Does it even belong in this section?

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 May 2006
Notes left: 1096
Last seen at: Mormons HQ
SH3 is best part of the series when it comes to one of main gameplay aspect called fear. Game is very disturbing and scary, pure horror. Also gameplay itself is improved (for instance 10gold star run much more challenging but concerns hardcore gamers only), graphic slightly improved too but only visible on PC in hires. Well and thats all the good things I can come up with concerning SH3

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Silent Hill 3 is more fun to play, but Silent Hill 2 is the better game.

Also, I don't think there are many people that hate the religious aspect of the series, but certainly there are a lot of people who wouldn't mind seeing it shelved for awhile in favor of the much deeper and more interesting subject matter as touched upon in the second game. I count myself among them.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Feb 2007
Notes left: 519
Last seen at: Funky town! :O
Do many people claim SH3 to be the superior game? :P from everything I hear, SH2 has the majority of the fan support. Team Silent says they're going back to a SH2 style feel for SH5 after all.
I vastly prefer the storyline of SH2, and while SH3 has a few levels, especially later on, that are more fun to play, SH2's overall are much less annoying than a couple of SH3's (like the subway and underpass -_-). SH3 gets AWESOME after you reach Silent Hill, but half the game is before that. SH2 is consistently enjoyable all the way through, plus it has town exploration!
(no, two streets with nothing extra to find, just a straight path between one level and the next is NOT town exploration)
I found SH2 to be the far scarier and more emotional game. I'm USED to SH3's type of scares. :P SH2 is unique.

Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
i think the graphics were way better than sh2's.not just "slightly improved" i just got donr playing both game simotaniously and silent hill 3 compared to sh2 is better in fighting,fear,and definantly graphics.the graphics in silent hill 2 are just a little better than playstation 1 graphics.but i agree with the cult stuff too,kinda affends me sometimes.wont stop me from loving the series though.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

I called it cult 'crap' simply because I just didn't like it, just like what Alone in the Town said, shelve it away for awhile. I realize that Silent Hill wouldn't be here without it but I've heard plenty of other people say this, "It's just too hard to follow." or "It's kinda boring, the twistedness of SH2 is better."

I do find it sort of difficult to follow, then again, I havn't played it in years but I just started to a few days ago. I really just don't like cult related stories either, I think cults are, well, stupid.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Jun 2006
Notes left: 279
Last seen at: Under One Of Andrew DeSalvo's Man Titties
I'd have to agree. I think 2 was a far better game.

There was so much more emotion.

Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Oct 2004
Notes left: 2132
Last seen at: In the Cave of Rendezvous
You can't really compare the games in terms of graphics and gameplay, because it's a continuing development of technology. The first Silent Hill looks like crap compared to Silent Hill 3, but does that make Silent Hill 3 a better game?
Because we are comparing within a franchise, it's a little more accurate to compare the storyline and horror.

Silent Hill 1 has a great storyline. It's not filled with culthorrorclichés like Silent Hill 3. The characters has a uniqueness and while the technology makes the dialogue slow, it's still pretty well written.The characters are pretty deep and worked out and the "detective" business you take part in is rather intruiging. The horror in the game is also together with Silent Hill 2, the ones that frightens the most.

Silent Hill 2 beats every other game in it's story. It's masterfully crafted, even though the dialouge isn't topnotch like in movies. The story is most mature and not filled with horror clichés. The horror in that game is also masterfully crafted, because it works on entire different levels then in any other game. It's the slow pace, the story elements and entire atmosphere that creates a horror that isn't just "what you don't see frightens you". Silent Hill 1 did have some of the same elements, but it was more about the strangeness of Silent Hill. That you really don't know how the worlds work, there aren't rules, physical or psychological, so the horror builds up from there.

Silent Hill 3 had a more physical approach to horror and it's the more cliché way to go. The story was well written, but some characters like douglas talked like he was on morphine. Not to mention the downright crappy sounddesign of the carscene.
That is the schoolexample of HOW YOU DON'T use music together with a dialouge scene. Don't ever have lyrics in the soundtrack!
The originality in Silent Hill 3 isn't much, the character of the cult is filled with different horrorclichés. The main characters attitude is really not realistic and some lines are downright awful. The best thing with Silent Hill 3 is the production design and "images". The design and lightning beats many many games and sometimes it looks more realistic then some of the nextgen games we see today...

Silent Hill 4 is really awful compared to Silent Hill 3:s graphics. I was stunned to see a game that looked worse then Silent Hill 3. As for the story, it's original, even though serialkillings is the most overused storyelement everywhere. The dialogue is even worse then Silent Hill 3. It's not interesting and Elieen is just a joke. When I thought Silent Hill was free from girls that must look sexy, she came in and the "love" between Henry and her are no more then sexual attraction. The ending with her in the hospital bed is downright embarrassing. Where's the tender and passion from Silent Hill 2? As for the red line in Silent Hill, the horror, there is NON in Silent Hill 4. Every element that created the unique fear in the other Silent Hill games, it's not present in Silent Hill 4. The worst is the lack of darkness. It's so bright that the monsters gets laughs everytime. Picture the ghosts in the same dark setting as Silent Hill 2 or 3? That would be scary.

Well, these are my opinions and you can do what you like with them

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: SH2 is superior to SH3.

Missing since: 07 Apr 2006
Notes left: 539
Last seen at: Somewhere in Nowhere
Magnus_the_red wrote:
1: Exploration.
Let's face it people, the amount of exploration in SH3 is pathetic compared to SH1, SH2 and SH4.
For example; In a building full of 100 rooms, you would only be able to open 10 of them. The other SH games were full of exploration oppertunity, but SH3 fails to have any exploration what so ever. SH3 is is almost like a straight forward level game. In SH3 there were only 3 rooms you didn't have to enter.

That's just not true, just think about the first floor of the hospital there are many doors (probably about 10-15) but just about 4 doors that you can open (and only 2 at first visit). And in SH3 there are so much more places to visit you get the SH2 part of town and many places in Portland. And to say that SH4 has better exploration than SH3 is wron since that is the moast linear game in the franchise (except from Play novel of course). In SH3 there are so many things other than useless item-filled rooms to explore. There are so many more real meaningful facilities to explore in SH3.

For me SH3 is the peak of the series and thats why im being so protective so don't get me wrong I love SH1,2 and 4 too but just not much as SH3.

Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Jul 2005
Notes left: 2174
Last seen at: Plus Forty Seven Degrees 56' 37" Minus Sixteen Degrees 51' 08"
Silent Hill 3 has the best production values of the series, making the sound and visuals a shitload of fun to watch and hear. It also has some more interesting weapons and combat system, making it more fun to play allied with the simple, not so wander around levels. The story is much more easier to follow than the second one and more emotive, thanks to the female character. Overhall it´s a a commercial game.

On the other hand SH2, represents everything I wish every other game had: amazing storyline, details that make you go crazy, the hypothesis to formulate theories about certain aspects and so on.

Thankfully the fifth instalment will be somewhat similiar to the second one, which is a very nice step for the series after the not so good The Room, and stupid experiment of Origins.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 May 2006
Notes left: 1070
AuraTwilight wrote:
aren't "Better" and "superior" the same thing?

No not necessarily. Superior pertains to the quality of the story and implies that it stacks up higher than its predecessors and follow up games in the series. Better implies your general rating system, such as molding together the aspects of story, fighting system, sound, graphics, unlockables, and also character likability. Just on our boards to this day, there are 590 topics on SH2 compared to 342 topics on SH3.... so it's a fact that we find more to discuss about SH2 more than SH3.

I agree that you can get more of a quality experience playing SH2 than SH3. Just because one is a standalone and another is a sequel to a previous game doesn't imply one is more valuable to the series either. Fortunately, both worked well and were widely accepted by the fan base.

On the topic about the cult.... it's not like everyone looks to play the next installment of the series with the intent of uncovering more about the cult. It's important to the town's history, but its a backdrop to our interests. I don't see much discussion, if at all, about cult predictions on the Origins board....... and that's the burning focal point.