Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 11 Dec 2018

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Akira Yamaoka speaks a little about SH5

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3368
From SilenthillOrigins.com

Someone has resently emailed me with an article from a German magazine GamePro in which Akira Yamaoka talks a little on the possiblity Silent Hill 5. They haven't yet replied when I asked for a scan so lets hope we get it soon.

Article (Poorly translated, sorry):

"Fans of the famous horror franchise Silent Hill will be happy to know that we have managed to get a short talk with Akira Yamaoka (Sound Director, PC version "Silent Hill 3" Producer) who will have a great role in the making on Silent Hil 5, we are happy to report.

GamePro: Akira, its good to have you here to dicuss. Silent Hill has a very unique fanbase caused by the obvious unique style and settings of the games, will this be continued in Silent Hill 5?

Akira: At the moment I cannot reveal much detail on the story, or our progress, but I can tell you that this game will resemble Silent Hill 2 in the terms of the way the player is directed and the characters' behavoir.

GamePro: Despute is over the console which SH5 will appear on. Does Konami Digital Entertainment have any plans or ideas of the platform which Silent Hill 5 will be?

Akira: At this time we are still not sure. We are thinking of putting the next canon game on the next generation consoles like Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, but we have had a good past experience with Playstation [where the series was born] and we hope to continue that trend, but there are no definate plans as of yet.

GamePro: Will the gameplay aspect be a resemblance of Silent Hill: Origins or remain as far as the series is?

Akira: Everything is draft at the moment, but we might not copy the Silent Hill: Origins. That is not our intention as a different studio is inventing Silent Hill: Origins.

GamePro: You sound displeased with the new system?

Akira: I dont mind it, infact I like it and agree with the choice for the Playstation Portable System, but I dont think thats the camera angle we want on a home console. That way you don't see enough of the surroundings that really mean alot to the player in Silent Hill.

GamePro: Will you be composing the music as well as directing?

Akira: I have considered the sound directing offer, however nothing is 100% on the project, though I do hope it can be arranged.

GamePro: Thank you for joining us in this short interview Akira, we and all the fans of Silent Hill are extremly excited about the next installment.

Finally some news. Some GOOD news.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Mar 2006
Notes left: 215
Sounds almost like they havent gotten very far or Akira truly isnt letting onto how much progress they have made at all.

Post subject:

Missing since: 22 May 2006
Notes left: 2647
Last seen at: Bristol
The latter kind of suggests the former, if you ask me.

Post subject:

Well Akira does say right off the bat that he cannot reveal anything about the story or progress, so his answers will seem to fall short of telling us the situation on either of those and it's not unlikely for us to feel like they haven't gotten far... He does say that everything is a draft which means nothing is concrete but that doesn't mean progress hasn't been made on levels, puzzles and designs. It's probably more that gameplay mechanics and storyline progression details are still in a state of uncertainty over what works and what isn't necessary (Also story details are usualy worked into the puzzles so there will be a hold up if that's so). Also next generation hardware definately opens up a whole lot of possibilities for effects and scares and they're probably having a hard time deciding which ones to use out of all their ideas :P This should prove to be a far more cinematic experience!

Also it's good to know that PS3 is definately the console of choice, though most likely I see it being multiplatform for 360 as well. I was initially worried about PS3 having no rumble as it was a big part of the games. But rumble will be returning to PS3 so it's all good. Hopefully Sony will utilize the more advanced force feedback tech from Immersion that works alongside motion sensitivity. I predict we'll hear about it at E3.

It would be interesting if Team Silent tries using motion sensitivity or incorporating it well into the games for puzzle solving or camera control etc. However if they make motion sensitivity a well integrated part then it's unlikely that we'll see Silent Hill 5 on 360. Also, it looks confirmed that the Wii is out of the question. Having the Wii cursor on screen would take us out of the game though they could make it playable with a Gamecube controller. And frankly I want to see Silent Hill in hi-def with next gen graphics.

Also good to hear (though we should've obviously assumed already) that the camera won't be like 0rigins because that was only necessary for the PSP. The camera will be more traditional or an improvement on it.

I hope the game will be much longer than the previous games, and I don't mean by backtracking, but rather more levels and would it be asking too much to have the whole Silent Hill map open to us? I'd hope to visit all the old locations in a next gen setting as well as having new places to explore. I don't think this will necessarily require Blu-Ray for all that a 9 Gig DVD should be able to hold, although I don't want to stop them from exceeding that. :P

Also if the game's going to be multi-platform, then they ought to take Factor 5's advice that they make the multi-SPU core PS3 version first as it'll be easier to transition it without as much hassle to the 360 hardware.

Hopefully we'll get a glimpse of the 5th game at E3, but I honestly wouldn't expect anything concrete until TGS. Konami will most likely be pimping out the PSP game for the time being. Maybe that Silent Hill arcade shooter will make its way to the Wii to compete with Capcom's Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 May 2006
Notes left: 1096
Last seen at: Mormons HQ
Akira cant say much about this game cuz there isnt much to say. Propably they arent far in progress yet.

Im sorry m8..is this recent interview or the old one?

Post subject:

Krysta wrote:
Akira cant say much about this game cuz there isnt much to say. Propably they arent far in progress yet.

Im sorry m8..is this recent interview or the old one?

Apparently recent. But I suppose you could be right that there isn't much progress. For one they still haven't decided on a console which is particularly important, although it's not like they cannot still be modelling, texturing and working on story and gameplay mechanics. But having a console chosen would be necessary for getting an engine running and tuned.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Dec 2005
Notes left: 454
Last seen at: NYC
Vague as ever, Mr. Yamaoka.

(Though I am glad that even he somewhat agrees that SH0 is a big bucket of fail.)

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Apr 2006
Notes left: 58
Last seen at: Nowhere
Good news to me. I personally don't like the PSP angles shown, not that you could use traditional angles on such a small screen... But the rest is good news, and the fact that Akira Yamaoka might be involved with the sound is obviously a big plus.

Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Oct 2003
Notes left: 5534
Last seen at: Room 311, making a noise complaint
Knick Knack wrote:
Vague as ever, Mr. Yamaoka.

(Though I am glad that even he somewhat agrees that SH0 is a big bucket of fail.)

By saying he thinks it's the best way to go for a handheld game? Yeah. :roll:

Anyways, SH5 better kick some ass. The game probably won't be out to late next year or sometime in 09. I want awsomeness.

Post subject:

Missing since: 29 May 2006
Notes left: 1096
Last seen at: Mormons HQ
lets wait for this goddamn Origins first before we start 'judging the angles'. Im most curious about SH0's plot and that shuld determine the final verdict if its 'bucket of fail' or not. This major delay worries me though, soft must have been messed up bad if they are working that long on a damn PSP game

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 May 2006
Notes left: 652
Last seen at: San Luis Obispo, CA
Yeah, this pretty much confirms that SH5 is definitely not coming out in 2007. Maybe as late as 2009.

:(

Post subject:

Nothing... New just a confirmation that it's actually being worked on. Even the console thing has been said before, though I bet it'll be multi console, being released on xbox 360, ps3, and PC.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Dec 2003
Notes left: 450
Last seen at: Happy Burger
2009 as a release date for Silent hIll 5 would make sense, given its the ten year aniversary of the series.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Apr 2007
Notes left: 10
yes he's not sure if there is going to a SH 5 or not but there working on Orgins first practly what hes saying :shock:

Post subject:

HenryShiz wrote:
yes he's not sure if there is going to a SH 5 or not but there working on Orgins first practly what hes saying :shock:

Well Akira Yamaoka is the only one who worked on 0rigins. And while Konami is keeping a close eye on it, 0rigins is being done by a third party studio 'Climax.' 'Team Silent' is free to work on Silent Hill 5 and I believe that they've got quite a bit done and Yamaoka is just being careful and 'humble' so as not to overhype or oveerstate their current decision making, a lot might be in place, but their overall permanence may still be questionable.

If 0rigins is being released in the fall the it's likely the 5th installment will distance itself and possibly come out mid 2008. So we may see something by TGS.

Post subject:

Or E3. All Akiria ever does is say "It'll be like SH2" and "it's for next gen". Since 04.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 May 2006
Notes left: 652
Last seen at: San Luis Obispo, CA
Chris Sunderland wrote:
Or E3.

Probably not, since we haven't heard any real progress on SH5.

I'm starting to get bitter over this. :evil:

Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Apr 2006
Notes left: 1134
Last seen at: New Jersey
I'd honestly like to see this exclusively on the PS3 and use the blu-ray's huge memory and create the ultimate SH experience (A longer game, more roaming around, beautiful environments, new creatures, etc)

Post subject:

swedish wrote:
Chris Sunderland wrote:
Or E3.

Probably not, since we haven't heard any real progress on SH5.

I'm starting to get bitter over this. :evil:

E3 is in July now though.

Post subject:

Varg6 wrote:
I'd honestly like to see this exclusively on the PS3 and use the blu-ray's huge memory and create the ultimate SH experience (A longer game, more roaming around, beautiful environments, new creatures, etc)

Yeah, it would be pretty sweet, especially with SIXAXIS use and now that they're bringing rumble back it's all good! And if they use Immersion's next gen 'rumble' for weight and directional resistence it'll be super! I figure SIXAXIS can be used for some puzzle elements and not for action, might make for some interesting puzzles! Althoguh if they do utilize the SIXAXIS extensively it would make a 360 version less likely.

Taking Factor 5's advice, it'll be simpler for companies to create a game on PS3 first and then port it to 360. As the big reason why so many had trouble working on PS3 is because they were all trying to port 360 games to PS3, and discovered that they were now taking a game made on the triple core Xenon and translating it to a radical multi-SPU architecture of the CELL... so, "Uh-Oh!" Whereas making it on PS3 first (despite requiring a learning curve to work on PS3 it's easier to get into it than it was for PS2 and as more games come out developers are changing their tune on how 'hard' it is to work on the CELL) would be much more straightforward and the 360 being more developer friendly will find it easier to have a game translated to its more typical hardware setup, although if you use intense physics and lighting simulations on the PS3 using the CELL's power, the 360 may lose some of that...

However despite Blu-Ray and all, even if Silent Hill is longer and bigger, it's still one town with some other possible locations, and in comparison to other games will still be 'smaller' in scale whether locations or enemies. So it's doubtful that they'll ever require blu-ray disc capacity and DVD should be okay, unless they plan on using a lot of pre-rendered FMV or high fidelity surround sound audio.

Yeah, it would be nice, but Silent Hill doesn't seem that 'big' a game, but I'm certainly not going to stop them if they want to try make something that will exceed DVD's capacity. :wink: And of course if it's feasible, then the 360 will simply get the game on multiple discs.

However, I still see the game as being multiplatform for both 360 and PS3. Haven't all the games past Silent Hill 2 been on both systems? Quite likely we could get a timed exclusive for PS3.