Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 26 May 2018

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: What is it that makes us Love Silent Hill?

Missing since: 22 Jan 2007
Notes left: 105
Last seen at: SilentHill inside my mind
I know a lot of you like me wonder what is silent hill, what does it mean, what are it’s origins.
These being all very good questions in themselves. But I believe we can answer none of them until we answer a simple question that some how seemed to elude us all. What is it about silent hill that has entrapped all of our mind. What is it that has made us want more, and never stopped craving it. What is it that makes us yearn to know.

We all feel the same way I know it, because I am a fan too. I want my questions answered, but I believe we should start by looking inward first and question that one question we’ve shoved asunder so many a’ time just to get more.

What is it that makes us Love Silent Hill

" Any one got spare SH cash, please donate"

Why can't we all just let it Burn...

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Nov 2006
Notes left: 552
Last seen at: Wish I knew
The intense horror, the interesting charachters and the awesome monsters 8)

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

But is it just that? You have to wonder

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Nov 2005
Notes left: 1676
Last seen at: UK
The story. The fact that you have to play it several times through to actually figure out what the hell is going on. (Or maybe that was just me. :P)

I love a good mind-fuck. :lol:

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Oct 2006
Notes left: 921
Last seen at: Southern WI
Humans have a fascination with their own potential for darkness and "evil," though pure evil doesn't exist. It's what causes us to be so enamored with figures like Jack the Ripper. We're drawn to things that expose the deepest reaches of our subconcious..both in good ways and in bad.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

[ There is a Gawd]

yay i found a good forum site. I'm glad i'm seeing people open there minds here, which was the reason i decided to join

::growls Smacking ControlFreak's Evil animated wheel-chair:: i hate them so much

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

As i said am I the only one that feals that nice little thing in the pit of your stomach that is hualed away from you. You know what you want from this came you just get for some odd reason.

[anyone out there like that?]

Post subject:

Please don't double post. Thank you.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2007
Notes left: 113
Last seen at: Cali, Colombia
i really like the history, the music all the wierd sounds, the fog, the bizarre

and the most, the nightmare worlds i really like when i change to the "otherworld" i love play the game alone in mi house, after midnight with all the lights off.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Mar 2005
Notes left: 269
Last seen at: Burning on the Angry Chair.
The atmospher, the general feel of the game. The paranormal approach. The distorted landscapes and visuals

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 May 2006
Notes left: 2647
Last seen at: Bristol
[What's with this, Distorted Self-Images?]

Forum schticks are annoying.

Cheers,
love 3atchdo9.

I like Silent Hill because it's still not that often that you get good stories to sink your gnashers into. You play through because it's scary, and it's a trip - and then you play again to try and make sense of it all. Although there are games with even deeper stories than Silent Hill's, there aren't many.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

[ sorry the all the admids, here when i was up last night i didn't get alot of sleep ::smiles smashing a wheel-Chair:: my apologies ]

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Dec 2006
Notes left: 92
Last seen at: Room 303
umm...everything...i dont know why but everything about Silent Hill is amazing in my little place called my mind lmao....

but yeah id love to actually go to Silenty Hill if they ever make one, or just see the set, or meet the creators taht would set me for life.

i just love it.

Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
iv always wonderd that.its the same with pyramid head.why do we love him,couse he only shows up maybe 5 times in 2 and dousnt do or say much.its just something you make a connection with.(i love phead,so not saying anything)

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
The riotous, fast-paced action gameplay.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Jan 2007
Notes left: 116
Last seen at: Chicago
Bear with me here...

Ever since I was little, I've always had a fascination with horror. When I was a kid, I would sneak into the living room after my parents were asleep to watch Creature Feature, Tales from the Crypt, The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, and all the other cheesy late-night scare flicks. Of course, they scared the crap out of me, gave me nightmares, and sent me running to my parents bed at all hours of the night, but I always came back for more.

As I grew older and started writing, horror was always a theme I wanted to work with, but like so many other themes, horror doesn't have a concrete definition. What's scary to you may not be scary to me. Also, as I grew older, the Creature Features weren't really that scary anymore. While they're still entertaining, Freddy Kreuger just didn't have the same effect on me as he did when I was five. So I'm trying to understand what horror is to me, the look, the feel, the mood, etc. And while I've got it figured out in my head, it's a theme that's hard to explain to friends and collaborators. It's like trying to explain what a color looks like to a blind person.

When I first played a Silent Hill game (it was 2 by the way) I realized that I was witnessing the closest thing I've ever seen to what my personal idea of what horror is. It isn't over-the-top and goddy, (To quote a friend of mine, "Ohhhh! Fire and snakes, and a skull with a spider on it!") it was subtle, an underlying mood, a state of unease. After I played it, I showed it to my friends and told them, "Look, this is what horror is to me."

What that long and drawn-out entry sums up to is: I love SH because, thanks to it, I now have an example to refer to when discussing my own idea of what horror is.

Hope that makes sense.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

jamie wrote:
Bear with me here...

Ever since I was little, I've always had a fascination with horror. When I was a kid, I would sneak into the living room after my parents were asleep to watch Creature Feature, Tales from the Crypt, The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, and all the other cheesy late-night scare flicks. Of course, they scared the crap out of me, gave me nightmares, and sent me running to my parents bed at all hours of the night, but I always came back for more.

As I grew older and started writing, horror was always a theme I wanted to work with, but like so many other themes, horror doesn't have a concrete definition. What's scary to you may not be scary to me. Also, as I grew older, the Creature Features weren't really that scary anymore. While they're still entertaining, Freddy Kreuger just didn't have the same effect on me as he did when I was five. So I'm trying to understand what horror is to me, the look, the feel, the mood, etc. And while I've got it figured out in my head, it's a theme that's hard to explain to friends and collaborators. It's like trying to explain what a color looks like to a blind person.

When I first played a Silent Hill game (it was 2 by the way) I realized that I was witnessing the closest thing I've ever seen to what my personal idea of what horror is. It isn't over-the-top and goddy, (To quote a friend of mine, "Ohhhh! Fire and snakes, and a skull with a spider on it!") it was subtle, an underlying mood, a state of unease. After I played it, I showed it to my friends and told them, "Look, this is what horror is to me."

What that long and drawn-out entry sums up to is: I love SH because, thanks to it, I now have an example to refer to when discussing my own idea of what horror is.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes sir that makes total since i hope that this topic gets more replies like that.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Aug 2006
Notes left: 157
Because it has so much more than your typical "blood and guts" horror movie/game. Anybody could throw violent bloody scenes in a horror genre, but Silent Hill expands upon it, drawing out the psychological horror aspect, too.

Silent Hill RPG: www.silenthill123.proboards50.com

Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
yea.many people say that movies and some games(resident evil) are scary becouse they have alot of gore in them.well,it's not people.sh2 may not be scary to me but it makes me feel a little more scared than resident evil(which isnt scary at all).horror to me should stay in your face but disturbing too.silence and being alone(in a game) dous not scare me at all.but true horror is not gore, its mental.(to me) :)

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Aug 2006
Notes left: 157
XBloodyRedPyramidX wrote:
yea.many people say that movies and some games(resident evil) are scary becouse they have alot of gore in them.well,it's not people.sh2 may not be scary to me but it makes me feel a little more scared than resident evil(which isnt scary at all).horror to me should stay in your face but disturbing too.silence and being alone(in a game) dous not scare me at all.but true horror is not gore, its mental.(to me) :)

QFT! Resident Evil is not scary for me. I may jump a few times, but it is more of an action than a horror genre to me. I mean, to me, other games with zombies and monsters, likeDead Rising is more of a survival than horror, as I find some of the zombies too humorous to get scared of.
If a video game has monsters and zombies in it to be labeled horror, then by that logic, Dungeons and Dragons and fantasy video games should be horror, as they got zombies in them!

Silent Hill RPG: www.silenthill123.proboards50.com