Angela, Eddie, James the same?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Angela, Eddie, James the same?

Post by Anonymous »

I am not entirely sure that this topic has been discussed before, but is it possible that Angela, Eddie, and James are all the same person. I mean Pyramid was an obvious symbol that represented James sick and twisted mind, but is it also possible that Eddie is James's muderous self, and Angela is his possible innocent victim? Maybe not innocent victim but Angela did kill her father to be free of his abuse, and james did kill mary to be free from her. I dont know i was just experimenting with different meanings. Tell me what you think. And if this topic has been discussed please link me to this topic.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

It has been mentioned before, but the topic is long gone now. However, I will say that it's an interesting idea.. but not one that I personally go for. I think Angela and Eddie very well relate to different aspects of James's situation, but I don't know if they're necessarily embodiments of it.

Plus, if this were so, how would one explain how Laura can interact with Eddie? Laura's certainly real - Mary met her and knew her. I don't know why Laura would be able to see something that was a fabrication from James.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Hell_is_Silent
Cafe5to2 Waitress
Location: Deep down in places you don't talk about at parties.

Post by Hell_is_Silent »

Yeah, it's been discussed before.

It's possible that everything in the second one could be representing aspects of James. Pyramid could be a manifestation of his guilt and feeling that he needs to be punished. Angela could be the victimized aspect has been pushed and hurt and now feels lost. And Eddie could be the part of him that is sick of thinking and worrying and just wants to act, damned the outcome.
[img]http://myspace-237.vo.llnwd.net/00776/73/23/776203237_l.jpg[/img]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

If you get the "comedy" ending in SH2, there will be a vague reference(via the dog), suggesting that Eddie is an entity in his own right: you do remember "that dog", don't you?
The Red Devil
Just Passing Through

Post by The Red Devil »

lol the dog...Well, I remember thinking (like the first time i played) that Eddie, was P-H and not James. I just had that idea because Eddie was a murderous bastard....But oh well, I think the only sides James has are himself, and PH.
EDH
Erectile Dis-function Highlander
"THERE CAN ONLY BE NONE!"
supapeaches
Just Passing Through

Post by supapeaches »

Really interesting concept. Never heard that one before.
[img]http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4189/siglolol2jz.png[/img]
Taderon
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Taderon »

Well i don't have much evidence but let me say it this way, If they were all the same person would they not all see the same monsters too? I mean nobody sees Maria or PH which leads me to believe that James is seperate and each of Eddie's Victims look human to me just brutally murdered at the time, also another big peice of evidence disproving this would be when you see Angela's abstract daddy it looks like an effin bed fram and two people under a sheet, that don't look like nobody's dad

In short I don't agree with your theory, it is a well stated one and I'm glad that you are brave and posted it but i don't agree, don't mean any hard feelings or hostility (spel?) either
[img]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/UndoingMyOwnRuin/jadempire.jpg[/img]
Hell_is_Silent
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Hell_is_Silent »

"would they not all see the same monsters too?"

If they are just aspects of his personality who's to say they see anything at all. In your dreams, the other characters only see what your subconcious wants them to see. Possibly James wanted to be alone in his suffering... felt he deserved it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

For all we know, Angela is experiencing a totally different kind of silent hill, and as far as I'm aware, Abstract Dad is a visual representation of the sexual abuse she suffered at his hands:we don't even know for sure if she sees him as James does
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Ah, let me raise this question again, since it seems to have gone ignored.

If Angela and Eddie are only in James's mind, why does Laura see Eddie?
Hell_is_Silent
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Hell_is_Silent »

"If Angela and Eddie are only in James's mind, why does Laura see Eddie?"

I read this, and forgot about it. Now, I'm just playing the devil's advocate here. I don't know that they're all in his head, I'm just explaining that they could be.

It's possible that Laura exists within his head too. Sure she existed in the real world and knew Mary, but I'm sure Mary told James about meeting her, and because he was aware of her, he created her too when he created the others.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Hmm. I think the idea is making a simple matter not-so simple.. You can think what you want, though, but.. yeah.
reginald potamus
Just Passing Through

Post by reginald potamus »

it seems to me they could represent two sides of james. Butthey still exist, they aren't in james head they are going through the same thing as him. But the makers designed their characters to reflect on james
scatlovers.com a site dedicated to the artful eating of poo
tokyo pistol
Just Passing Through

Post by tokyo pistol »

I think the game makes it pretty clear they are all separate people. But in a way, they are themselves metaphorical/plot devices to help the player see things in James' character that you might not normally.

Even if you get the In Water ending, James still tells Angela that he could never kill himself. I guess you could say that for this ending specifically, it brings more depth to the character of James, deepening that change of heart he requires to actually do himself in. He could never kill hiimself; then again, could he really ever imagine himself killing Mary? Even if you don't get the In Water ending, is James lying to Angela when he says he could never commit suicide? Depends on what you view as the true ending as well...

I think the game potentially has less meaning if you look at them as just facets of James.
dan abnormal
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by dan abnormal »

good theory it could be correct but then again so could most of the other theories
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

well, it was bothering me some time. I like to think that they are all seperate people, especially the scene when you jump into your grave and next to your grave is eddie's and angela's. but there are to many similarities with the characters.

I am just going to ramble for now. In the opening of the game James is seen looking at himself through a mirror. Possibly representing the multiple personalities or emotions that he will soon find himself confronting. Pyramid head represents james evil if you will or his subconcious want to be punished. Maria the obvious sexual lust that james has, what he truly wanted in a female. You know James is a badass and all. Eddie the aggressive no thinking, just acting fool, not aware of reprocussions such as james smothering his wife so aggressively and not let her disease or sickness take its course. Angela the "innocent," possible representation of what james feels his wife is doing to him emotionaly. So to stop the pain just as Angela did he killed his wife.

as for the killing of eddie could be james overcoming his hostile ways and becoming more responsible in a way.. kind of like a hardcore anger managment course.

Angela kills herself, which is assumed because you see her grave and she asks for the knife back. Possibly the pressure of his wife has finally lifted.

now laura is where we come to a problem. maybe another symbol for innocence or the part of him that really loves mary unconditionally. the love that never fails. i dont know its rough.

with all this said it makes the player ask the question "Why James?"

In the first and 3rd games the characters had direct connection with the town.
Why would silent hill choose james's mind to disect or rip apart?
these are all just questions and suggestions that i had. take them as you will.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I still think it's much ado about nothing. Eddie and Angela share similarities with James's situation and mindset, yes, absolutely, but going so far as to say they're part of his mind seems to be an example of thinking too deeply. Not that I'm trying to insult you or anything, it's just the idea is making an ocean out of a puddle. These characters are meant to have ties with James and their situations are meant to be parallel to his, but meaning they're one and the same?

James looking at himself in a mirror representing multiple personalities? Or.. how about James just being knackered from the drive and taking a bit of a rest in the bathroom?

As for the "Why James?" question, I myself can only speculate at this point. It's been a widely accepted belief that the town calls those with "darkness in their hearts," or those with incredible feelings of guilt and inner turmoil. James had a special connexion with the town through Mary, and I guess you could say that the darker, sinister aspects of the town, stirred up by the events prior to and during SH1, called out to him. Kind of like how Henry felt "summoned" to South Ashfield Heights.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I may be thinking a bit too deeply on the subject. Its just that this game puzzles me the most. I mean dont get me wrong I believe that they are all seperate people, i was just suggesting a what if. Just to stir up some conversation and other thought about the game. Its not a definite no, the suggestion of them all being the same person is some what resonable.

As for the mirror of course he is checking himself after a long drive, but the smallest things can have a bit of meaning.
Varg6
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Varg6 »

I think it's a great theory, if you think about it. It makes a lot of sense with Pyramid Head. But then again, there are more characters, maybe James is the entity, and the three parts of the pyramid of James are Angela, Mary and Eddie. Each entity needs to be resolved, or wiped out of James if you will, so he can realize what he did to his wife. Now, I'm not sure how this could all be in conspiracy with getting the different endings, that's the only thing I can't really think of...
Det Som Engang Var...
Hjartu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Hjartu »

I've heard this one before and I've also considered it- but they're described as three different characters in a lot of cases.
Noteably, the three patients that James reads up on relate to each character-
Jack Davis directly relates to Angela,
Joseph Barkin to James,
and Joshua Louis to Eddie.
They're all described as different patients with different issues, and if the patients are intentionally supposed to relate to each of the characters, it's probably so.
That's just my take on it- not quite sure if I've worded this correctly, and I know it's just a small detail.
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/hjartu/junjisig.jpg[/img]