New thought, any support?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

New thought, any support?

Post by Anonymous »

Hello I am new. Anyway, it's been a while since I played this gamr. I liked it alot. anyway I was thinking a possibly new approach to interpretating the plot of this story. I haven't read all of your thoughts so I don't know if this has been thought before.

Here is my idea:

James hasn't yet killed Mary. Actually he is on his way to kill Mary. Pyramid heads and all that monster stuff is a metaphor for all of his guilds and he will get over all of the obstacles in his mind that prevent him from killing that monster who is Mary, who is chained to his bed.

Anyway, so the basic story in reality is like this:

Mary is a monster, chained to bed, James wants to kill him, James kills him.

The methaphorical storyline (which is basically all that we see in this game) is about James dealing issues with himself that are preventing him from killing Mary. Pyramid Head for an example is a representation of himself and a murdered, first he hates him but finally he gets over this obstacle and he can deal with the fact that he will be a murderer and he will go and finally kill Mary.

Anyway, it's been a while and I may be forgetting something crucial about the game.
Goodnight
Historical Society Historian

Post by Goodnight »

I can't say I agree with any of that, but nontheless, it was very interesting to read. I've always liked the symbolism and metaphores of the game, so I like your theory, despite not agreeing with it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yes, it was interesting to read, but I don't believe it's true.

SPOLIERS

For example, why would James find a video tape of him killing Mary if he hasn't yet done it? Also, what's Maria's purpose? And why does James say at the start of the game that Mary's already dead?

Nevertheless, interesting reading.

Welcome, by the way.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'll elaborate on this later, that little text was written in a hurry and I don't remember every aspect of the game. So, later.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

I don't agree with the theory but it is still an interesting thought.
Icewater, the videotape can be something like a premonition...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I can't imagine James a murderer for the life of me. He killed Mary on impulse and desperation, wanting to end her suffering and his. I don't think he ever truly planned on killing her, and his psychotic breakdown induced by his guilt of the crime is enough to show that he felt guilty about killing her to the point he denied it completely. This theory conflicts with the entire story of Silent Hill 2, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Welcome to Silent Hill, Pills, Home of Psychos!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'll show you Psychos!

Anyway, it's just an idea that just came to my mind when I remembered this game exists. I am now studying if I'll find anything to support this theory.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Very well, Pills. I'll assume Devil's Advocate for your theory. Nice to meet you!
Chris Sunderland

Post by Chris Sunderland »

Even though I don't believe it,it's a very interesting theory.Original for sure.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Scarlet wrote:Icewater, the videotape can be something like a premonition...
Could be, could be.....

Well this theory's got us talking if nothing else.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Actually I just read one plot analysis and I came to a conclusion that I could craft a full theory/interpretetation of my original thought. It takes some time, but I think it can be done which basically means that the plot in this game is loose and abstract enough to give multiple different interpretations.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

If he had not killed Mary,Maria would not be the way she is.She would not interact with him in the way she does and Mary would live past only the leave ending.

The Maria ending would not work,because she says"you killed Mary,again?"

The Water would not work,because he commits suicide out of dessperation and guilt over what he did.

The rebirth ending wouldn't work because,you can bring something back to life if it isn't dead yet.Maybe if it was like,the healing ending it would work,then you would know that she was alive,you can heal what is already dead.

Good therory for someone new to the site and haden't played in a while. :D
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

It is new. That much I agree with.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Harry'sGirl wrote:If he had not killed Mary,Maria would not be the way she is.She would not interact with him in the way she does and Mary would live past only the leave ending.
Well, if Maria represents the good sides of Mary (at least the sides that James finds preferable) then why wouldn't she interact with James in the way she does? James is about to kill Mary.Maria , the good sides of Mary would be more like trying to prevent James from killing actual Mary.
Harry'sGirl wrote:The Maria ending would not work,because she says"you killed Mary,again?"
Yeah, maybe. I gotta think, now it seems unsupporting to the theory.
Harry'sGirl wrote:The Water would not work,because he commits suicide out of dessperation and guilt over what he did.
I was more like thinking that the final fight in the game represents the actual act of killing Mary in real life. Of course he can kill himself in real life after this.
Harry'sGirl wrote:The rebirth ending wouldn't work because,you can bring something back to life if it isn't dead yet.Maybe if it was like,the healing ending it would work,then you would know that she was alive,you can heal what is already dead.
I gotta think. Maybe James was ready to kill his wife but realized that she is worth being left alive?
Harry'sGirl wrote:Good therory for someone new to the site and haden't played in a while. :D
So if I am new then even bad theories are ok? Bullshit, good theory is a good theory and bad theory is a bad theory, no matter who throws it on the table. I don't even know if my theory is good or bad or even possible interpretation but I just wanted to ask you guys if someone has thought this before or can think of any supporting facts for this.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The fact of the matter is that I can really find no supporting evidence for your theory since it conflicts with the entire plot of the story. Maria is not necessarily the manifestation of the "good sides" of Mary since Mary was not bad; she lashed out at people, especially James, because of her unwillingness to die due to the fatal disease she had become infected with, but this did not make her bad. Maria was only the manifestation of a much more "preferable" Mary James had created when he entered Silent Hill. Maria seeks to replace Mary in James's heart since this is what she was created to do, especially when she is fought as a final battle, furious that James is unwilling to accept her as a replacement for Mary. She represents the lie James prefers to live rather than accept the truth about himself and Mary.
Pills wrote:I was more like thinking that the final fight in the game represents the actual act of killing Mary in real life. Of course he can kill himself in real life after this.
This would apply to only one ending then: the Maria ending since Mary is fought in only that ending. All other endings except for Dog and UFO is a showdown against Maria. As previously stated, the Maria ending is already in conflict with the theory, thus making this statement invalid. Besides, why kill himself after accomplishing his goal?
Pills wrote:I gotta think. Maybe James was ready to kill his wife but realized that she is worth being left alive?
Then the whole scenario would be pointless. If the entire game was to prepare James for the murder of his wife by making him overcome the obstacles that prevented him from doing so and then he suddenly decides against it and lets her live, what would be the point? This contradicts the theory entirely.
Pills wrote:So if I am new then even bad theories are ok? Bullshit, good theory is a good theory and bad theory is a bad theory, no matter who throws it on the table. I don't even know if my theory is good or bad or even possible interpretation but I just wanted to ask you guys if someone has thought this before or can think of any supporting facts for this.
Actually, not so. For instance, your theory is insightful, original, and something that can be appreciated, no matter how invalid it may be. However, any veteran on this board has seen their share of theories that are beyond bad to the point that they don't even make sense even if you really tried to believe it. Besides, nothing about Silent Hill, just like real life, is one-sided.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^ thanks for pointing that out,Incubus.
I was prasing the imagination and creativity of you Pills,and for it to come from someone new.I was saying nothing about the threory it's elf,I try not to judge the therory because you can be proven wrong and them look stupid.

I supported the ideas you put behind it,but there was holes in it to began with. I simply pointed out the weakness of it.That was all.
Lindsay_Lithium
Just Passing Through

Re: New thought, any support?

Post by Lindsay_Lithium »

Pills wrote:Hello I am new. Anyway, it's been a while since I played this gamr. I liked it alot. anyway I was thinking a possibly new approach to interpretating the plot of this story. I haven't read all of your thoughts so I don't know if this has been thought before.

Here is my idea:

James hasn't yet killed Mary. Actually he is on his way to kill Mary. Pyramid heads and all that monster stuff is a metaphor for all of his guilds and he will get over all of the obstacles in his mind that prevent him from killing that monster who is Mary, who is chained to his bed.

Anyway, so the basic story in reality is like this:

Mary is a monster, chained to bed, James wants to kill him, James kills him.

The methaphorical storyline (which is basically all that we see in this game) is about James dealing issues with himself that are preventing him from killing Mary. Pyramid Head for an example is a representation of himself and a murdered, first he hates him but finally he gets over this obstacle and he can deal with the fact that he will be a murderer and he will go and finally kill Mary.

Anyway, it's been a while and I may be forgetting something crucial about the game.
I somewhat agree, but what I don't understand is that if mary is dead then who wrote all that stuff like on the map in Lakeview, and the map in the hospital?
<a><http></a> Amy Lee = Love!
Rastek
Just Passing Through

Post by Rastek »

^ The "waiting for you..." on the lakeview map was written by Maria and, assuming you meant diary in the hospital (as the map has nothing written on it), I've always gone by the theory that it was written by the fourth mental patient (the man with suicidal tendencies that wanted to take his life even though he had a family).

The theory's not bad. Has some errors that disregard it but it's better than the ussual "LOL, i th1nk j4m3s killd angela's d4d" theories that newbies post most of the time. Congratulations and welcome.
Wait wHile thEse Rats End themselves And tomoRrow wE maY hOld oUr hands
(?)
Conjurer
Hope House Careworker

Post by Conjurer »

It's actually not a new idea; somebody presented the idea elsewhere & got ass-raped over it by a bunch of Silent Hill fanatics, I was one of them.
[url=http://www.gaikokujin-talent.com/profile/voice/monica_horgan/monica_horgan_cm01.mp3]Silent Hill Insurance[/url]
Rastek
Just Passing Through

Post by Rastek »

/spam ^OMG, ass rapist!! :shock: /endspam
Wait wHile thEse Rats End themselves And tomoRrow wE maY hOld oUr hands
(?)