supereyepatchwolf looks at SH3

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

supereyepatchwolf looks at SH3

Post by jdnation »

Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: supereyepatchwolf looks at SH3

Post by Alexius Corvinus »

Someone out there reading articles like this might come away thinking “we need more SH2 clones.” That was a major issue with the western ‘Silent Hill’ games. Instead of trying something new, let’s try to capture lightning in a bottle again.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

I wasn't sure I was going to like this video. A lot of times they tend to be misinformed or super arbitrary (which is fine in itself).

But this hit the nail on the head. It was completely true. I felt those things in 2003 and I feel them just the same now.

Silent Hill 3 was a fucking masterpiece but it was obviously held back from the true legendary greatness of its predecessors.

The problems of the series just continued to snowball into an avalanche from there.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Tabris wrote:Silent Hill 3 was a fucking masterpiece but it was obviously held back from the true legendary greatness of its predecessors.

The problems of the series just continued to snowball into an avalanche from there.
While he makes a few good points, in the end the creator of the video still comes down as yet another super-massive SH2 fan that fails to look at different factors that played a role in Silent Hill's downfall. My biggest problem with his argument is that he is against SH3 being a direct continuation of SH1, but is totally fine with the concept of SH3 reusing the concept of "personal hell" from SH2.

In reality, SH3 took the best parts of both SH1 and SH2. Yes, the story is perhaps a direct continuation of SH1, but many of the story themes are actually very much inspired by SH2.

The problem with Silent Hill is not SH3, but actually SH2. By the time of SH2's release, video game journalists and fans had become so obsessed with SH2 that anything that would come after would be criticized regardless of which direction it took. This video is a perfect example of that.

Just think of it, if SH3 had really stayed true to its initial concept of just being another "personal hell" story AKA SH2, I think it would've been criticized of offering "nothing new" to the series in the exact same way.

Another aspect of his failed argumentation stems from his idea that "isolation is what birthed Silent Hill" while completely overlooking the fact that Team Silent were split in two after SH2 and one team were actually allowed to create something completely different in isolation - which is SH4: The Room.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Alexius Corvinus »

Jonipoon wrote:
Tabris wrote:Silent Hill 3 was a fucking masterpiece but it was obviously held back from the true legendary greatness of its predecessors.

While he makes a few good points, in the end the creator of the video still comes down as yet another super-massive SH2 fan that fails to look at different factors that played a role in Silent Hill's downfall. My biggest problem with his argument is that he is against SH3 being a direct continuation of SH1, but is totally fine with the concept of SH3 reusing the concept of "personal hell" from SH2.

In reality, SH3 took the best parts of both SH1 and SH2. Yes, the story is perhaps a direct continuation of SH1, but many of the story themes are actually very much inspired by SH2.

The problem with Silent Hill is not SH3, but actually SH2. By the time of SH2's release, video game journalists and fans had become so obsessed with SH2 that anything that would come after would be criticized regardless of which direction it took. This video is a perfect example of that.

Just think of it, if SH3 had really stayed true to its initial concept of just being another "personal hell" story AKA SH2, I think it would've been criticized of offering "nothing new" to the series in the exact same way.

Another aspect of his failed argumentation stems from his idea that "isolation is what birthed Silent Hill" while completely overlooking the fact that Team Silent were split in two after SH2 and one team were actually allowed to create something completely different in isolation - which is SH4: The Room.
I agree 100 percent with this. Couldn’t sum up the argument any better. The biggest hang up and issue with the western developers for me was them trying to reinvent the wheel. They took Silent Hill 2’s story and ran with it, without realizing SH2 sufficiently told that story of inner demons and personal hell.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Deer Rest FOA wrote:I completed it one summer ago, and thought it was just as great as it was in 2003. I do miss the series. I'm sad that we'll likely get zip when it comes to getting news from Konami about a new entry in 2019.
My dream:

Konami brings back a few key people from Team Silent along with new, innovative people and together they start working on "Silent Hill 5" - IOW completely disregarding everything that came after SH4 before.

The game continues the trend started by the second, third, and fourth game by innovating the series for each installment, expanding upon the lore.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.