Silent Hill 1 Versions?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Gamestationx360
Just Passing Through

Silent Hill 1 Versions?

Post by Gamestationx360 »

Does anyone know about how many Silent Hill versions there are (besides PC), where they were released, and how can you tell which is which. Any info would be appreciated.

Sean
"In this land my visage inspires terror"

[url=http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f85/Gamestationx360/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f85/Gamestationx360/Pyramidheadavatar.jpg[/img][/url]
Sig by Folterung
http://www.myspace.com/gsxxxdomain Myspace URL.

SwordBuyersGuide Forum
http://sbgswordforum.proboards70.com/index.cgi
B5160-R
Historical Society Historian

Post by B5160-R »

There's three; the Japanese, the US and the UK PAL version.

The Japanese and US version are the same in content, but in the UK PAL version the demon children are replaced with the mumblers.
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]
Gamestationx360
Just Passing Through

Post by Gamestationx360 »

Thanks, I was wondering because on ebay there were so many different covers for the same game.
"In this land my visage inspires terror"

[url=http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f85/Gamestationx360/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f85/Gamestationx360/Pyramidheadavatar.jpg[/img][/url]
Sig by Folterung
http://www.myspace.com/gsxxxdomain Myspace URL.

SwordBuyersGuide Forum
http://sbgswordforum.proboards70.com/index.cgi
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I think the japanese has 2 versions... The oriiginal and the Platinum Edition versions with a different cover each one...
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Post by Son_of_Kauffman »

I´ve never seen the platinum.
Spetsnaz of the Interior Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia
Spetsnaz sil Vnutrenniye Voiska Ministerstva Vnutrennikh Del

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

SH1 was not released for pc... unfortunately!
somethindarker
Just Passing Through

Post by somethindarker »

lame, why were they called mumblers they sound creepier. why does europe get all the cool stuff. like euro extreme.
www.myspace.com/somethindarker
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

B5160-R wrote:...but in the UK PAL version the demon children are replaced with the mumblers.
was there a reason for that?
Littlestardweller

Post by Littlestardweller »

As for the Japanese ones, there's the original first released version, the Best version (which is essentially a cheaper re-release, like a greatest hits version) and then there's a PSOne Books version which is another re-release for when the PS2 was more in the time.
...that all my life I've been rushing up and down hills, leaping rivers, crashing over obstacles,
never dreaming that one day that beautiful thing in flight would land on this earth and into my arms
Droo

Post by Droo »

somethindarker wrote:lame, why were they called mumblers they sound creepier. why does europe get all the cool stuff. like euro extreme.
Europe didn't get the cool stuff in this case. The demon children are the INTENDED monsters in everywhere but the sewer. It was censorship at work.

Bigsby: As I started to say above, the reason for this was censorship. The demon children are, well, children, and I guess they thought it was offensive to have monsters that resemble children, and replaced them with the mumblers so that people wouldn't freak out about it. Seems dumb to me.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
ControlFreak
Subway Guard

Post by ControlFreak »

Drewfus wrote: Europe didn't get the cool stuff in this case. The demon children are the INTENDED monsters in everywhere but the sewer. It was censorship at work.
And it still infuriates me! :twisted:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

that does seem a little silly to replace the children :\
Littlestardweller

Post by Littlestardweller »

I heard there was a child-slaying-child incident in the UK (I'm not entirely sure the location actually) of some sort at the time which was a reason as to why they didn't put them in.
...that all my life I've been rushing up and down hills, leaping rivers, crashing over obstacles,
never dreaming that one day that beautiful thing in flight would land on this earth and into my arms
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well, if you wan't to see (and kill) demon children, you can always play Doom3; I was definitely taken aback at first at having to shoot flying babies :o
Spong
Gravedigger

Post by Spong »

Littlestardweller wrote:I heard there was a child-slaying-child incident in the UK (I'm not entirely sure the location actually) of some sort at the time which was a reason as to why they didn't put them in.
The James Bulger case was the probable cause for the game being censored here in the UK. A toddler was snatched from his mother and killed by two boys aged about 9 or 10 years-old. As a result, there was a period in the UK where children and violence was a big no-no across all media, and the knife-wielding babies of Silent Hill fell victim of that. The Chucky films (which were ultimately blamed for the crime) were totally banned on all formats for a while.
I'm sure that if SH1 was re-released it'd stay intact this time.

On a side note, isn't there some confusion going on? Is it me or aren't the mumblers everyone keeps talking about actually the name for the demon children? In the UK version, I thought it was claw fingers that replaced the mumblers.
mr ed
Just Passing Through

Post by mr ed »

i sold my copy of the game a while back and ive regretted it ever since. anyway recently a friend gave me a pc with the game running with a ps1 emulator but tweaked to make it run better, its the pal version of the game but they patched it to run in other modes. i believe spong is correct about the demon children being replaces with the claw fingers because so far ive seen claw fingers everywhere from the start of the game and no demon children at all. :cry:
Void
Just Passing Through

Post by Void »

I may have already asked this a long time ago, but here's a more specific question about the different versions of SH1.

In the USA, there is only the original and 'Greatest Hits' versions, as far as I can tell. Now, I know that there is alot of difference between the original and 'Greatest Hits' versions of SH2, but does the same apply to SH1? Is there even any difference whatsoever, no matter how small and insignificant?

I would appreciate an answer from anyone who'd know, since I'm trying to decide which to pick up on ebay.
[color=purple]The God Hand and Silent Hill pantheons will be hosting a pot luck dinner during the next bi-centennial Eclipse, in addition to Void's regularaly scheduled Sacrificial Ceremony for a newly anointed Apostle. Inquire for directions to Nexus of Existance, if needed.[/color] [b][color=red]All beings of questionable benefit for humanity are welcome to attend. No human [i]guests[/i], please; [i]prey[/i] only.[/color][/b][i][color=green] Valtiel to provide highly appreciated guest services and salad.[/color][/i]
syphrus
Just Passing Through

Post by syphrus »

I just have the U.S. and Japanese version. I thought the mumblers were the evolved version on the demon children...like the rest of the monsters of Silent Hill.
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

Yeah, I have NTSC SH1 regular and greatest hits, PAL SH1, and PAL and NTSC versions of the SH1 demo.

Pal version school monsters:
Beta version monsters (I don't have the beta version, pic is from a trailer)
School monsters (SH1 NTSC and demo versions)

The school monsters are the only big difference between the versions. the demo version has different artwork in the school and different keys and inaccessible areas, but it's not a whole lot ifferent either. I've heard things about the beta version, but I can't confirm any of it.
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube
Kamanojaku
Just Passing Through

Post by Kamanojaku »

I had to enjoy the Demon kids once in the US version and I have to say the mumblers are cooler in my opinion, they look better, the kids were more "pixely" I don't miss them in the Europe version. So anyway.
I can't find a screenshot this fast, but If you are looking through some Concept Arts you will find a Demon Kid sketch with a knife there.
|edit| Yes, there they are, the picture of the NTSC version above, I missed this page of the thread...

I don't know if it's just a rumour, but I heard they would be thinking about a SH1 remake with better graphics though... anybody heard about that?