Uncensored scene (PC version)

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Mustang
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Mustang »

The screams are alittle much I like both versions.In this one the screams show that Mary wanted to live and tried to fight back but at the same time the silence made it feel eerie and seemed to fit better.
SyphonFilter1987

Post by SyphonFilter1987 »

They should have kept the screams. It makes it more creepier and also makes it more obvious that James killed Mary even though the scene is blurry.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

SyphonFilter1987 wrote:They should have kept the screams. It makes it more creepier and also makes it more obvious that James killed Mary even though the scene is blurry.

I said it earlier in the thread I think, but this for me is exactly the reason why I'm glad they didn't use the screaming version. It's not supposed to be obvious, if it was completely obvious it would totally ruin it, for me at least.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Dr. Eggnog

Post by Dr. Eggnog »

The first time I saw the censored version, I thought that one of the patient demons was killing Mary. That wierded me out.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Uncensored scene (PC version)

Post by Uyrikeustek »

It wasn't as creepy as the soundless one. The silence and static of the censored one reminded me of the Ring video tape. Good times.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
clips

Post by clips »

I'm glad they didn't use this one...this here kinda made it obvious as to what he was doing. In the censored vid, as others have already pointed out, you didn't know what he was doing which kept the mystery of his journey in SH fully intact.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

I think the uncensored audio makes it seem like Mary was being raped, or vagina-titilated in some way, which could add a whole lot to the rape discussion.
ss4gogeta0
Just Passing Through

Post by ss4gogeta0 »

now that was disturbing yet peaceful....
"Must one Born from Adam, Return to Adam?" - Kaowru Nagisa
"Come Adam's Dark Shadow, Searvent of the Lillim"- Kaowru Nagisa
everfield
Just Passing Through

Post by everfield »

that was the most disturbing this I've ever scene
Not very pretty, is it.
Kamekaze
Just Passing Through

Post by Kamekaze »

the censored one's better. the silence and static makes it more scary and disturbing, just like what Uryi said.
the screaming makes it sound...corny. :P
None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

I like the censored version better, but a couple screams would've been ok... The uncensored version was a bit too intense in my opinion :(
Sarkoh
Just Passing Through

Post by Sarkoh »

I'm glad they scrapped that idea, it would seem pretty harsh if they were to go along with it in my opinion.
lyneea
Just Passing Through

Post by lyneea »

When I saw the video in game for the first time, I realised exactly what he was doing, so for me, the censored version didn't add ambiguity on what he was doing to her. However, the silent version does add ambiguity in the area of whether it was a more peaceful thing he was doing as she had just given up or if it was forceful or violent....and I think that works better.
[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/CBminstrel/silent_hill_banner.jpg[/img]
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

I like the censored one better, simply because it is silent, adding to "Silent" Hill. But I really think that they aren't intended to be connected. The tape kind of reminded me of the tape in "The Ring," which was scary and disturbing because there was almost no sound, and most of the time, no sound at all is scarier.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
Pitus
Just Passing Through

Post by Pitus »

nah, i'm better of w/ the censored one.
the silence and static makes it more scary and disturbing
and it has this eerie feeling just by watching it.
"Good times for a change.. See, the luck I've had can make a good man turn bad.. So please, please, please, let me, let me, let me, let me get what I want this time... *tininininininiwniiiw, tinininiinininiw*"
MartinStatic
Just Passing Through

Post by MartinStatic »

Thanks for this, I think that games should have a gallery of 'dodgy but relevant' content accessible after you complete them. You know, for content that may not have been necessary to have in the game, but still important.
Lostkitsune

Post by Lostkitsune »

After playing SH2 with a few friends at different moments, I noticed most of them didn't really "get" the video until I showed them the uncensored scene, hit them a little harder emotionally too. If they ever re-release SH2 on the PSN or something I hope they reinsert this scene, uncensored.
Sheogorath
Just Passing Through

Post by Sheogorath »

droo said: I actually find the silent version of the murder more disturbing.
Agreed. When you first watch it, you're all like, "What the hell?" Then every subsequent viewing with knowledge of James' guilt just makes it seem like Mary isn't fighting back, making the scene way creepier.
Alessandro said: I like it. it sounds more genuine.
Yeah. Even a suicidal person will fight back against someone else trying to take their life, so the screams in this version make it more realistic.
jamz_sunderland
Just Passing Through

Post by jamz_sunderland »

Jeebus. O.O What really did it for me was the sound. That screaming. Good Lord....
FatalFrame
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FatalFrame »

I'm kinda torn. I think a few very muffled screams or something might have been ok but not the full-on like in the uncensored one. Although, I would bet my bootie that the reason they opted for the censored is because... could you like James after that? At least in the censored it doesn't look or sound quite so cold and heartless.
Are you ready to begin your trip to the Otherside
Death is an old friend of mine