Got Downpour? Want to share impressions? Post them here!

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Re: Got Downpour? Want to share impressions? Post them here!

Post by CandyLander »

TransientJetlag wrote:there's a difference between the familiarity of the idea and the copycat visual design they used, but I'll leave it at that.

:D
AND the gas mask doesn't make any sense AND the boogeyman name already was used in the silent hill games
Last edited by CandyLander on 05 May 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

JuriDawn wrote:Which is why can all just move along now. ;)

We've stated our opinions, there's no point in rehashing them. Let's let somebody else have a turn, maybe?

Haha my bad.. Maybe i should be a lobbyist for Vatra.. I'll just put a sock in it about that now.. :)

My final 2 pennies on the subject.. lol

All things considered, Downpour is certainly not "Business as Usual" as far as Silent Hill goes, and I feel like if future developers don't venture into new territory with this franchise, as Vatra has done, it won't stand the test of time.. and that's more scary to me than Silent Hill 3 haha.. next! :mrgreen:
revalations 23:16
LuLu
Gravedigger

Post by LuLu »

Okay, final thoughts on Silent Hill: Downpour? I love it. In my opinion, it's a great addition to the series, pleases me far more than Homecoming or Origins did, etc. I think I reviewed it earlier in this thread, but yeah. I'm on my 3rd playthrough now and I think it's overall amazing -- the music, the atmosphere, the characters (could've been more developed, though), the side quests (definitely could've omitted a few that were pretty odd/boring though)...

I've been very pleased. It had to grow on me, though, but that's mostly just because I tend to rush through my first playthroughs. On my 2nd playthrough I really delved into all it had to offer.

So... 8.5/10 for me. On par with Shattered Memories. I loved that too.
"It's a bit far... but closer than heaven!"
Cloud
Just Passing Through

Post by Cloud »

I liked the game, found it better then Homecoming.
But you cant compare it with SH1-4.

I think with better music it would be much better, there was only 1-2 music tracks I liked. One was on the bus drive.

I miss the mystical feeling in town. I bet this is because of the music but I find this SH more mystical and abondened then Downpour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_eiBl7dmKg

And imagine how great it would be then this would be playing outside in SH instead the same one OST I dont find very special.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqiR2G-X ... plpp_video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BKslvy7 ... plpp_video

Or then you go inside a building:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIYHHZz5 ... plpp_video
Making of Silent Hill 2 - HQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VKvED76WQ&feature=relmfu&video=unblocked
JoshGecko
Just Passing Through

Post by JoshGecko »

I loved it. I was a bit iffy at first, especially with the Devil's Pit area (hated it) but once you get to Silent Hill proper I really started to enjoy it. Sure it's not quite at the same level as the first couple of games but it's still great, and a massive improvement over Homecoming and Origins. I didn't mind the combat at all either.
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

JoshGecko wrote:I loved it. I was a bit iffy at first, especially with the Devil's Pit area (hated it) but once you get to Silent Hill proper I really started to enjoy it. Sure it's not quite at the same level as the first couple of games but it's still great, and a massive improvement over Homecoming and Origins. I didn't mind the combat at all either.
You didn't like Devil's Pit huh? Any particular part of it or just in general? :)

I thought it was pretty damn creepy, caves especially!
revalations 23:16
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

I haven't been keeping up lately but this game looks far more like the older games in the series which to me is a good thing. I would love to give it a try.
JoshGecko
Just Passing Through

Post by JoshGecko »

SHACKled89451 wrote:
JoshGecko wrote:I loved it. I was a bit iffy at first, especially with the Devil's Pit area (hated it) but once you get to Silent Hill proper I really started to enjoy it. Sure it's not quite at the same level as the first couple of games but it's still great, and a massive improvement over Homecoming and Origins. I didn't mind the combat at all either.
You didn't like Devil's Pit huh? Any particular part of it or just in general? :)

I thought it was pretty damn creepy, caves especially!
Haha I guess it wasn't terrible looking back on it, I just thought it was sorta a bland area. Since it was just a big cave it all looked the same and it got a little boring, but I'll agree there were some creepy moments.
The Red Devil
Just Passing Through

Post by The Red Devil »

I'm so glad to see that people are really enjoying it.
I personally have enjoyed my time with it. I'm not all the way through my first play through (84%) since I've been busy with anthropology crap (ugh), but I felt that it's a nice addition to the franchise. The music and the atmosphere are what really sells it for me; Daniel Licht was the right way to go. There are some technical problems that kinda break the atmosphere here and there but those are really my only gripes.
While it's definitely not my favorite I'm still enjoying every minute I play. Which is usually like 20 minutes at a time since I scare easily even if nothing is happening...
EDH
Erectile Dis-function Highlander
"THERE CAN ONLY BE NONE!"
Scarecrow
Just Passing Through

Post by Scarecrow »

Hey people new guy here, I'm a complete SH noob and Downpour is actually my first Silent Hill game but so far I really like this game it feels so much like an old school survival horror game like the original REs, everything from the free roam, to the emphasis on puzzles and exploration and the fight or flight cobat, hell even the in game text reminded me of PSX games lol.

Anyway I'm just passed the radio station and I'm really enjoying just exploring the town doing the various side quests, the mines were pretty intense I don't think I've ever been so glad to see the sky as I was after completing the mines section. As a guy who's been playing games since the mid 90's it's nice to find once in awhile little hidden gems like this which don't try to copy COD or whatever the latest crap out is. I now feel like I massive tool for not trying out the series sooner (I used to hear about it but never really took much notice) but I'm definitely going to play the older games already downloaded the original SH for free thanks to PS+ and I'm going to run through that straight after Downpour.
Rainbow_Elric
Just Passing Through

Post by Rainbow_Elric »

Bring back PYRAMID HEAD!!!!/RED PYRAMID!!!!

on a whole i love the new look, i just miss all the old monsters. :( To me the new street attackers, come across as more like Zombies to me, and thats kind of boring, unimaginative and obvious! :roll: I don't think the monsters are as scary as they used to be, unless its just the modern world is harder to scare nowadays lol. :)

ps: Welcome to the Forum Scarecrow. If your not mad when you join, you'll be mad before you leave :mrgreen:
The Dead Don't Stab You In The Back Unless They're Posessed!<3
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Bought the game early in this morning and it's great. I really liked how Murphy actually reacts to the things going on around and with him. You can see fear in his face sometimes and when a particular light catches him you can not only feel but hear the horror. Seriously, gameplay-wise I think Muprhy is the only character of the series that shows deep emotions. The others are only human when the cut-scenes begin...

I'm currently at the Devil's Pit Otherworld. Running like a dizzy roach through a never-ending stairway. Seriously, what am I suposed to do there?

Oh, I really lked the choice system by the way. Vatra took Homecoming's idea and leveled it up. Daniel Licht's tracks are awesome too.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Do the player gets to know anything about the guy that Murphy murdered inside the prison?
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

Mephisto wrote: I'm currently at the Devil's Pit Otherworld. Running like a dizzy roach through a never-ending stairway. Seriously, what am I suposed to do there?
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Do the player gets to know anything about the guy that Murphy murdered inside the prison?
You have to turn back around, and you'll end up back in the kitchen.

As for Napier, yes, you'll find out plenty about him.
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^ I thought it had something to do with the lights. Something so simple yet so hard to find out... Thanks.
Huh? Radio?
Just Passing Through

Post by Huh? Radio? »

I was going to post my impressions when I was about 5 hours in but I decided to wait, I'm glad I did. I honestly didn't think much of the game at first, possibly ranking it as the worst Silent Hill game.

I finished it last night and really enjoyed it, I just wish I had explored the town more before rushing off to the end. I'm not sure when exactly I made the transition from hating it to loving it but once I did I couldn't get enough.

The story was fantastic although it didn't have me too engrossed until about halfway. I was really happy with my ending (B) and found it to be one of the best out of all the Silent Hill games.

I only have 2 major complaints - monster designs were inexcusably poor and the combat was disgraceful. That may sound harsh but it's the truth, and it still didn't stop me enjoying the game.

Looking forward to playing through it again in the future!
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

Huh? Radio? wrote:I was going to post my impressions when I was about 5 hours in but I decided to wait, I'm glad I did. I honestly didn't think much of the game at first, possibly ranking it as the worst Silent Hill game.

I finished it last night and really enjoyed it, I just wish I had explored the town more before rushing off to the end. I'm not sure when exactly I made the transition from hating it to loving it but once I did I couldn't get enough.

The story was fantastic although it didn't have me too engrossed until about halfway. I was really happy with my ending (B) and found it to be one of the best out of all the Silent Hill games.

I only have 2 major complaints - monster designs were inexcusably poor and the combat was disgraceful. That may sound harsh but it's the truth, and it still didn't stop me enjoying the game.

Looking forward to playing through it again in the future!
Maybe you didn't like Devil's Pit and the cave areas? The caves really reminded me of Resident Evil where I believe Chris only had a lantern for light, and Murphy just had a lighter.
demon child 7
Just Passing Through

Post by demon child 7 »

Downpour may be my new favorite Silent Hill game. I have been a fan of this series right from the beginning.

Downpour is really fantastic in a lot of ways. I feel like they did a much better job catching the mood of the town in Downpour than they did in Homecoming. Homecoming seemed to be rather industrial. This game seems more in keeping with the rest of the series.

The combat was really good. I felt like it was an improvement over SH2 but it felt close to that. The monsters were okay I really did love the screamers they looked really creepy especially in a very fog ridden area. The story was really good in fact it was the only other game in my life that almost made me cry.The first game to do that was SH2.

I liked the chase scenes they could get a little old over time. But I feel like they added a cool feature to the game. I think these moments where fleeing is the only option might be good to incorporate into the game. But they should be few and far between and should definitely not be the whole of the nightmare world.

Nightmare world should be playable like in SH1,2,3.
But I really loved Downpour I feel any true fan of the series should find it a great addition to the collection.
foggybogs
Just Passing Through

Post by foggybogs »

Got downpour a couple of weeks ago and finished last night with 12 hours of gameplay. I know I'm late but honestly I wrote off getting downpour not wanting to be dissapointed again. After reading posts here and some reviews I changed my mind and want to thank everyone involved with the game because I loved it. So many great looking environments to explore combined with the occasional brilliantly mind blowing situations. I'll be playing downpour again and hope the team involved continues the series and pushes it even further next time.
thewantedone
Just Passing Through

So i just got silent hil: downpour

Post by thewantedone »

And i really liked it so far, The graphics are amazing, The combat system is a bit hard but okay, The music is amazing(its pretty rare when you hear music in the game) Good story so far.

But my question is, Do you discover new place's ? Because i am just out of the train (in the cave) And i have a feeling i am heading back to the begin vill
age.
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Re: So i just got silent hil: downpour

Post by CandyLander »

after you leave the devil's pit (the caves) you get to the actual town, that is GINORMOUS and that is all explorable. there are tons of houses you can get in for sidequests (that you don't have to do if you want to finish the game, but if you do them you get weapons/clothes and get to know the character better). just play a little bit longer and the game will stop being linear and you are gonna start to have to explore the places
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...