A Theory About Angela...

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

CaptainBackfire
Just Passing Through

A Theory About Angela...

Post by CaptainBackfire »

Now, mind you. I tend to over-analyze everything about everything about... well... everything, so this is just the product of my A.D.D. mind going into over-drive and bouncing all over the place trying to find meaning...

Had anyone ever stopped to pay attention... Other than Mary, (well, and Laura, but she was just a child, so I didn't really think it appropriate to involve her in this equation...) There were two women that James encountered. Maria, who was sexual and provocative and helpless... And Angela who was everything not sexy and provocative, and also mentally screwed up because of situations with the loved ones in her life... Who also seemed to be almost A-Sexual in the way that she got all pissy and accused James of basically wanting to do her, but seemed to feel disgusted about herself like she was horrid and not worthy anyway?

Well, I had a theory.

Had anyone ever viewed Angela as they viewed Pyramid Head or Maria? A product of James' guilt?

I see it this way. Angela and Maria are like two sides to the very same coin. Maria was the side that James longed for. Seductive, tempting and in constant need of him to save the day, but Angela.... Angela was broken, ugly and craving the love that she constantly fought for but no longer felt she deserved. Wasn't that how Mary felt while she was sick? That she was a burden and undeserving of James' kindness and time? I dunno, maybe it's just me, but that's the way I saw Angela. She was a physical manifestation of James' guilt for the way he treated Mary, and the way that she continued to love him. To call out to him and search for him... wishing she could be with him. Every time he met Angela, he was faced with her pain and suffering, and yet... in the end... she still scaled that burning stairway alone to face certain death....

Thoughts? I'm curious. :)
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Re: A Theory About Angela...

Post by SilentWren »

I like this well enough, but I think Angela, Eddie and Laura were all supposed to be real people. There wouldn't have been any reason to give them all such involved(ish) back stories if everyone in the game was just Jame's manifestations.

I can't argue with Maria and Angela being opposites, though.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Angela has her own psychological issues, her own trials, her own monsters, and her own decisions to make.

Unlike Maria, like James and Eddie.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Don, Aman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Don, Aman »

Yeah, I think they put a little too much attention on Angela's personal background and issues to say that she was a construct. Though it is interesting how polar opposite Angela and Maria are in terms of personality.
Don stepped outside... It feels good to be alone... He wished he was drunk...
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Though I believe Angela was her own person, I COMPLETELY see where Angela being another guilt manifestation for James is coming from. She doesn't really find what she was looking for. Maybe she was brought to Silent Hill to add to James' guilt, and assumed she was supposed to find something there, and felt horribly depressed and worthless if she didn't. Jeez, if I were James I'd feel pretty guilty for that!
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Any theory about how Angela is anybody's personality mirror ignores the fact that she has two very distinct and conflicting personalities of her own.
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

^Oh gawd, now she's got a split personality!!

No way is she a construct. What purpose would she have in terms of helping James along psychologically?
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Off-topic, but oh god we need constructs with split personalities.

"She has multiple personalities...all of them a product of your imagination!"
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Because James is a raepist!!
SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentRobert23 »

No no, it's because James is a rape victim! His delusions in Silent Hill are a manifestion of the guilt and filth he felt at the hands of Mary, and he needs to overcome it!
country matters
CaptainBackfire
Just Passing Through

Post by CaptainBackfire »

I dunno... It was just an 'awake at the ass-crack of dawn' theory that I thought I'd throw out there... I'd just started to really sit down and think about it, and it all kinda made sense, so I wanted some thoughts on it.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Mary raped James and that's why he killed her. She also sicked a dog on him. Everything is solved.
RMOB
Just Passing Through

Post by RMOB »

And she probably uses some kind of probe on him, so that explain the UFO in the town.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. "
-Marcus Aurelius
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

I'm going to have to combo break everyone's little bit of fun about James being a rapist or being raped for a moment and be serious.... :shock: Yes, how dare I ruin everyone's fun.

I know it's all been discussed in other threads already, but I think Angela is real, and I believe James meets her because she shares similarities to both James and Mary.

As AITT mentions here, both Angela and James committed acts of violence, both felt the desire for punishment, and (depending on which ending you get) both become suicidal (I'm paraphrasing and summarising of course. AITT does a better job of explaining everything).

As mentioned, I also think Angela and Mary were similar. Both were victims of horrible crimes perpetrated against them by family members. Needless to say the crimes/nature of the crimes/reasons for what was done/etc were different, but nevertheless they were both victims of horrible crimes.
The next comparison only works if you believe Angela was sexually abused, and while I admit it uses a bit of speculation on my part, I think it's an observation/comparison worth stating.
From what I've read (and from what I recall), some sexual abuse victims can become ashamed of their bodies. I can't remember all the "symptoms" (for want of a better word) but Angela seems to exhibit some of the same characteristics. For example, she's awkward around men, and is covered from head to toe, as though trying to hide her body. If this is true, then it's a good comparison with Mary who we know was ashamed of her body due to the disfigurement caused by her disease.

To reiterate (because I lost myself with all the typing and interruptions), I believe Angela is a real person who meets James because she shares a lot of similarities to both James and Mary. I think James', Mary's, and Angela's similar emotions are what caused James'/Mary's and Angela's otherworld to overlap in the first place. The same with Eddie, except this thread isn't about him, so he can get stuffed. :P
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I understand the concealing her body because of abuse aspect, but, honestly, that's a bit too tenuous for me. My point is James wears a long-sleeved polo under a jacket, jeans, and boots. Can't it just be chilly out. . . ?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

Eddie wears a short-sleeved polo and shorts. :?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

He's also extremely fat.
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

So fat people don't get cold?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Maybe where Eddie's from is warmer. . . .

Also—bigger people do tend to be warmer. James wouldn't be wearing an undershirt, a long-sleeve shirt, and a jacket because it's stylish (especially when it's not . . .) unless he has a reason to wear it.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

The only person who has absolutely no reason to be warm in all their skimpy gear is a person who doesn't exist- Maria. Everyone else is covered by metabolism/clothing.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.