An interesting way to change the plot only slightly...

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Trauma_
Gravedigger

An interesting way to change the plot only slightly...

Post by Trauma_ »

I know the topic title is a little vague, but am I the only person that thinks that this movie had the potential for greatness if they hadn't have tied the whole witch-hunt idea into the Alessa story at all? I mean you'd have to re-write a couple of things because there were some things that were needed (such as Sharon being the reincarnation/re-manifestation/good part or whatever of Alessa). But it's not like it couldn't be done, and it could have saved the movie from becoming a total clusterfuck.

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed the movie, it doesn't feel like a chore to watch. However there are some minor tweeks they could have made to make the plot entirely different. And put an interesting spin on the idea of the town, since it's non-canonical anyways.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: An interesting way to change the plot only slightly...

Post by AuraTwilight »

And...do what? It's easy to say there's better ways to do things, but can you present one? Because Alessa had to be burned by the cult somehow, and there's no way they can fit in the God pregnancy cult in an hour and a half movie without making it seem absolutely retarded.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Haha. He said retarded. (Sorry, it actually made me laugh. I'm a bad person. Whatever....)

Well, to be on topic, they had to change the original script quite a bit anyhow, so there's no way to know how it would've panned out.
For real, though, I was actually a little delighted that the movie was still as female driven as it was. Nothing sexist, but I actually do find it kinda hard to believe the male main characters who are very devoted to family. The only reason is because of my bad experiences, so seriously nothing negative meant by that.

Anyhow, they shouldn't have bothered trying to tie more into the game canon. It would've just confused people in the long run, I would imagine.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

AuraTwilight wrote:And...do what? It's easy to say there's better ways to do things, but can you present one? Because Alessa had to be burned by the cult somehow, and there's no way they can fit in the God pregnancy cult in an hour and a half movie without making it seem absolutely retarded.
That's not exactly what I meant... Just keep Alessa out of it. The point of this topic is for everyone to. y'know, present THEIR ideas.
Anyhow, they shouldn't have bothered trying to tie more into the game canon. It would've just confused people in the long run, I would imagine.
^ That, an original story would have worked a lot better anyways...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's not exactly what I meant... Just keep Alessa out of it. The point of this topic is for everyone to. y'know, present THEIR ideas.
Let's be frank here. It's not Silent Hill without Alessa to some extent. Sequels to the movie can exclude her, but for the first entry? Fans would bitch that they might as well have made it a non-Silent Hill movie.
Nothing sexist, but I actually do find it kinda hard to believe the male main characters who are very devoted to family.
No just no.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

men are completely capable of being wholly devoted to their familys just as woman can disown them. Gans idea was shit, though it didnt hurt or help the movie.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Silent Fantasy wrote:men are completely capable of being wholly devoted to their familys just as woman can disown them. Gans idea was shit, though it didnt hurt or help the movie.
I agree. A parent's gender doesn't determine their capability when it comes to loving their children and family. Harry doing anything for Cheryl is just as realistic as Rose doing anything for Sharon. Personally I think Gans' reasoning was a little silly, and just a little insulting to movie goers. I don't think he really needed to change the protagonist's gender to show a realistic loving parent.

I know people will debate this, but one of the things I would've changed would be Dark Alessa. I don't think she was needed. I don't think the movie would need too much change if Alessa and Dark Alessa were the same character. I realize Dark Alessa is the dark part of Alessa (her pain, anger, and hatred), but surely Alessa herself would've been the bad part of herself once all of her good (Sharon) was removed? I also realize Alessa herself was confined to the hospital (or under it, or whatever), but if SH1 Alessa can use astral projection, then why not Movie Alessa? I suspect their powers would be very similar. Anyway, I'm rambling. :)
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

AuraTwilight wrote: No just no.
Wow. Great addition, there. What's with you lately, dude?
So, it's ok for Gans to suggest this in interviews, but when someone flat out states it, it's "No, just no?"

It's getting annoying having people on here tell me that my opinions and life experience are invalid. I'm from a very different environment than most of you, and it benefits everyone to get as much variation in view points as possible.

Someone, ANYONE, try to argue that the importance of family holds the same place in the mainstream mindset that it once did. Especially to men.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Wow. Great addition, there. What's with you lately, dude?
So, it's ok for Gans to suggest this in interviews, but when someone flat out states it, it's "No, just no?"
no, it's still shit if Gans says it.
It's getting annoying having people on here tell me that my opinions and life experience are invalid. I'm from a very different environment than most of you, and it benefits everyone to get as much variation in view points as possible.
I don't care what your life experiences are. You should know better because you're an adult and you know that what you see isn't the whole of human experience.
Someone, ANYONE, try to argue that the importance of family holds the same place in the mainstream mindset that it once did. Especially to men.
Irrelevant. Fathers are equally capable of loving their children as mothers are, and it's sexist to suggest otherwise.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

AuraTwilight wrote: Irrelevant. Fathers are equally capable of loving their children as mothers are, and it's sexist to suggest otherwise.
Irrelevant. In my entire life, I've known one man that actually made life decisions based off of what would be best for his children. One. I'm not going to go against what I've witnessed first hand just to be PC. The only thing that anyone ever goes off of is personal life experience. That's why it's important to hear every side of an argument so you understand things outside yourself.
(Consequently, if anybody has any good stories about great fathers they've known, I'd like to hear them just to get my hopes back up.)

Anyhow, getting back on topic....

Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

PC? men and woman are both human beings. each person capable of differant parenting, good or bad. personal experiences or what you alone have witnessed doesnt change that fact or anything Aura or me have said.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I'm entitled to my opinions, just like everyone else is entitled to theirs.
Anyway, can we GET BACK ON TOPIC? This is getting old. Thanks.

I doubt the movie would've had to be rewritten if it weren't so female centered (The sent him a note that said "There's no men in this!") But either way, the movie's been made, so let's focus on that.

Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

ageed, but you made it sound as if you was stating it as a fact.
but i didnt have an issue with the 99% female cast. i didnt even notice really.
think this movie was good to atleast get the ball rolling. it being an adaption, it cant change to many important details drasticly.
or they might as well make an original movie.( ala Resident Evil ) so id say Alessa and a few other things are necessaryfor the first, though i didnt care for the cult witch hunters either.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I think that instead of changing anything about Alessa, the best way to improve this movie is to remove all of the real-world abandoned town stuff. It just detracts from the overall flow of the movie. I've watched a fan edit of the movie that removes the unnecessary bits (as well as subtle changes to scenes such as some dialog removal and whatnot) and it was a vastly better movie. It's my preferred version of the movie and the only one I watch anymore.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

where can you find this version? and i also believe that the town shoulda stayed a resort town. but the movies made and its set in stone unless its rebooted.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Oh man I need to see this edit of the movie...
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Can I post a link to it or is it still against the rules even though it's not the actual official release?
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Let's be frank here. It's not Silent Hill without Alessa to some extent. Sequels to the movie can exclude her, but for the first entry? Fans would bitch that they might as well have made it a non-Silent Hill movie.
Point taken...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

leftshoe18 wrote:Can I post a link to it or is it still against the rules even though it's not the actual official release?
Given that it's pretty much the entire movie cut and rearranged into a full motion picture which is technically only marginally different, yea it'd be against the rules. I'd share it around under the table, if I were you.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

That fan cut sounds interesting. (hint)