IGN Names Silent Hill 2 As One Of The Best PS2 Games Ever

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

IGN Names Silent Hill 2 As One Of The Best PS2 Games Ever

Post by Droo »

SH2 comes in at #54 on IGN's Top 100 PS2 Games Ever list.

http://www.ign.com/top-ps2-games/54
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Her_Topaz_Eyes
Just Passing Through

Re: IGN Names Silent Hill 2 As One Of The Best PS2 Games Eve

Post by Her_Topaz_Eyes »

Forget one of the best PS2, Silent Hill 2 is one of the best games ever, period.
It can't possibly be true..a dead person can't write a letter...it's illegal.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Should be #1.
Her_Topaz_Eyes
Just Passing Through

Post by Her_Topaz_Eyes »

^

Truest words on the internet.
It can't possibly be true..a dead person can't write a letter...it's illegal.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

It could easily put it in my top 10, or even top 5. Best ever, no. But one of the 5 best on PS2, definitely.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

paladin181 wrote:It could easily put it in my top 10, or even top 5. Best ever, no. But one of the 5 best on PS2, definitely.

^^^This!!.... definitely in the top 10 list for me,...but not the best ever....
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

^Third-ed.

But in a "best 100" list, I would put the game higher than â„–54.
We are still here...
The Procrastinator
Just Passing Through

Post by The Procrastinator »

It's great that our favourite "foggy village" is appreciated.
We entered Winter once again
Naked, freezing from my breath
Neath the lid all limbs tucked away
This coffin is your abode from now
and onwards
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Nah silent hill is not the best ps2 game ever and definitely not the best game ever. Don't get me wrong i love the game(love silent hill 3 the most though) and it's a classic but i could put a decent amount of games ahead of it. However as far as horror games go it's easily one of the best. I would have silent hill 2 higher up on the list no doubt, but i would also have silent hill 3 higher on the list than 2(why the hell is sh3 not even on here?!)
Last edited by SPRINGS02 on 30 Oct 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

People inside (and outside) the SH universe only give "kudos" to SH2. It's a good game but it's not a God's gift. . . What makes this game so "unique" is the story. Maybe character development, sounds and monster design but apart from that. . . Nothing.

SH2 in terms of gameplay, is nothing more than boring. And when you review a game you have to review gameplay more than anything else. . .
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Very true, the gameplay is lacking, it's strengths are the story(mainly the way it's told) the unique scares and it's overall horror factor. Also the symbolism. A lot of people do act like it's the greatest thing ever. It's a very unique game, but symbolism and great story aren't enough for it to be considered one of the greatest games of all time IMO. I mean a lot of the legendary games didn't even have a story really and are mainly focused on gameplay(such as the old sonic and mario games)
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Her_Topaz_Eyes wrote:Forget one of the best PS2, Silent Hill 2 is one of the best games ever, period.
I second that.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

Last edited by Yoshata on 14 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Ethos

Post by Ethos »

Usually I hate IGN (they've given some of my favorite games shitty scores, so it's bias, yeah) but this makes me warm a little more to them. Just for a second.

2 is my favorite in the series besides 1. It's highly rated and loved by fans, but it's kind of underrated by game critics. They mostly seem to focus on gameplay, though. Screw 'em.

Thanks, IGN...Now give Kingdom Hearts II the score it deserved.
Verslie
Just Passing Through

Post by Verslie »

I'm glad that SH gets some sort of recognition, but I really can't take these gaming sites seriously.
They put two GTA games and Kingdom Hearts in the top 10, whilst they put great games like Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Mercenaries, Star Wars Battlefront, Splinter Cell... at the bottom of the list amongst crap like WWE and X-Men Legends, as well as a load of games I've never heard of. Not that I expect anything different. At least they have some sort of redemption by acknowledging Silent Hill at all.
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^I don't remember mercenaries being critically acclaimed. GTA and Kingdom Hearts have always been successful among fans and critics. I agree that fatal frame should of been higher, silent hill 2 should of been higher too. Also silent hill 3 should of been on the list and guitar hero should of been taken off, or moved way back on the list.

For the most part i think their list was legit, it just had some major flaws at certain points.
Verslie
Just Passing Through

Post by Verslie »

SPRINGS02 wrote:^I don't remember mercenaries being critically acclaimed. GTA and Kingdom Hearts have always been successful among fans and critics. I agree that fatal frame should of been higher, silent hill 2 should of been higher too. Also silent hill 3 should of been on the list and guitar hero should of been taken off, or moved way back on the list.

For the most part i think their list was legit, it just had some major flaws at certain points.
IGN themselves gave Mercenaries a 9.1. But anyway, just because a game is popular doesn't make it good. And I don't understand video game critics anyway, just seems like a group of guys playing video games all day then giving their own personal opinion, and then it's as if they're a prophet of God and their words are fact. I don't know why they make these lists in the first place.

Guitar Hero should stay I think. Personally, I hate Guitar Hero, but it as a unique game so I think it does deserve some recognition. In the sense of being original it gets the points, but as for being something extraordinary? It definitely isn't, but that isn't what most people really look for.
Mr. Domino
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. Domino »

Verslie wrote: But anyway, just because a game is popular doesn't make it good.
Well, not to split hairs here, but it actually kind of does. Millions of people don't spend their money on something because its crap. Personally, I've never seen the big deal behind Halo, but I know it must be there - just because I don't personally like it doesn't mean that it doesn't have merit.

As an addendum, game critics don't try to be "prophets of God". They do, however, have enough people that care about what they think about a game that they get paid to disseminate those opinions. Again, who are you or I to say that all the people who do care about what they say are wrong?
I'm not a self-righteous, egotistical, arrogant bastard - but I play one on the internet!
Julius
Just Passing Through

Post by Julius »

Mr. Domino wrote:
Verslie wrote: But anyway, just because a game is popular doesn't make it good.
Millions of people don't spend their money on something because its crap. Personally, I've never seen the big deal behind Halo, but I know it must be there - just because I don't personally like it doesn't mean that it doesn't have merit.
I don't think he/she is talking about a matter of personal taste, rather than the actual quality of a product, and he/she is right to say that just because a lot of people like something does not mean it's quality is good...maybe it's marketing and image is good enough to attract and mindlessly entertain sure, maybe some other circumstance...but then again either way it isn't fair to say that so generally.

I think what what's being said can be understood better if you try to reverse the statement and say that "since a lot of people don't like something it must be bad", it should be apparent that the statement isn't entirely true for everything. Maybe for some things, but certainly not everything when it comes to forms of art.

By the way, I replied to that particular passage because "Millions of people don't spend their money on something because its crap" is a funny sentence to me for some reason.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

I would be happy it made it on the list, but history shows IGN has no idea what they're talking about.

Deadly Premonition a 2.0?
It's my goty, forget you IGN.

Also, SH2 is in no way "the best game ever." Maybe atmosphere or story/plot, but no way is it best game ever.

Edit:
Just because I have to...
Mr. Domino wrote: Millions of people don't spend their money on something because its crap.
*cough*twilightboybandsbeaniebabiesipads*cough*