What did the Japanese Think of this?

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

benjo93
Just Passing Through

What did the Japanese Think of this?

Post by benjo93 »

Been a silent hill fan for years, and i was on youtube and watch some Japansese TV spots for the Film, and it got me thinking What did the Japanese think of it? Fans in the UK & US either liked it or didn't, or like me hated some bits but loved others. But what about the Japanese did they not like it seen as it was an American production?
Pyramid Head is Exempt from FAIL!
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Re: What did the Japanese Think of this?

Post by simeonalo »

Uh. What O_O That's a broad generalization here. Are you questioning what Team Silent thought of this? Or aaaaaaaaaall Japanese people?
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

If I had to make an educated guess, I would say it's likely they felt exactly the same way the US and UK did from your original post.
What other kind of reaction would you expect? I mean, it's likely that some of the japanese liked it and some didn't.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Uh. What O_O That's a broad generalization here. Are you questioning what Team Silent thought of this? Or aaaaaaaaaall Japanese people?<
S/He's curious whether or not Silent Hill: Movie was well-received in Japan.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I would be curious about this too. You can't assume that they liked it or didn't like it or that it got mixed reactions. Sometimes tastes in Japan can be very different. I think Spider-Man 3 was actually well recieved in Japan (to me it did have kindof an anime feel to it).
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Most of the movie's gross was from overseas, so it's not inconceivable that it performed fairly well in Japan in terms of what they'd expected.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Well, there's a four-disc DVD special edition, and a three-disc Blu-Ray special edition in Japan. Meanwhile, the U.S. gets nothing but the film, itself, on DVD and Blu-Ray. At the very least, Sony thought going the extra mile (and charging extra) could be justified in Japan, so I don't doubt it sold better and was more popular there.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

I think Japan's dvds/blurays/whatever tend to have a lot of content on them. At least, in terms of anime they seem to.
It's probably a means to justify the more pricey costs for purchasing movies and tv for their home.

I don't know about movies, but I know that most dvd volumes on anime consist of around 3 or 4 episodes and cost like $50 american. It's ridiculous.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind seeing just what exactly is on those extras... Still haven't brought myself to buying the movie yet. I thought it was the best video game movie so far, but it still wasn't that great. Maybe one day if Amazon puts the bluray on sale.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Oh, it gets worse for OVAs: $60+ for a DVD with one episode!! So, yes, price and packaging practices alone don't speak for a product's popularity, when one figures in the general trends that Japanese consumers put up with, trends that American consumers find unacceptable (see the failure of Bandai Visual for attempting the same business practices in America).

Hell, the anime industry in America is getting so bad that they basically have to bundle whole seasons together, at a cut-rate price (less than $50), before they put them on shelves. I got Solty Rei recently for $15, a steal even if the only quality thing about it is the artwork (Range Murata and Kenichi Sonoda).

However, I find it easier to imagine such extras being prepared for an enthusiastic consumer base, rather than for luring in an apathetic or even hostile one. Four discs is an unnecessary production expense for a failed product, after all.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Anime in Japan can be outrageously overpriced and lack content.

American prices are far better especially considering now that we can get entire boxset thinpacks at very decent prices. Now we can get entire anime seasons on 1 or 2 blu ray discs, I like this trend! I'm hoping for a Black Lagoon blu-ray set.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Yeah, I found the first season of Bleach used at Vintage Stock for under 20 bucks. A little off topic though.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Kenji wrote:Well, there's a four-disc DVD special edition, and a three-disc Blu-Ray special edition in Japan. Meanwhile, the U.S. gets nothing but the film, itself, on DVD and Blu-Ray. At the very least, Sony thought going the extra mile (and charging extra) could be justified in Japan, so I don't doubt it sold better and was more popular there.
I don't know if it's the same with DVD's and stuff, but Japan usually gets bonus tracks on albums to give them an incentive to purchase the local version over importing (which is often less expensive in Japan). This could simply be a marketing ploy to get more purchases of the Japanese version and not necessarily indicative of increased Sales in the region.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... ll&x=0&y=0

Well, if these are to be believed, the Japanese loved Homecoming and severely disliked Shattered Memories, but that's neither here nor there.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B5%E3%82 ... 713&sr=8-1

According to this, the movie was loved.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

The Japanese wrote:映画製作者は、男根触手の我々の名誉あるカスタムを盗んだため、鉄条網のアメリカの概念を使って、このイメージに置き換え我々は、日本の人々は、映画に不満を持っている。これは我々の最も古い神聖な文化への侮辱である。
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Their most sacred thing is....phallic tentacles?
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^Yeah, I gotta be honest. I thought you were being racist until Google Translate said:

"The filmmakers are honored for stealing our custom phallic tentacles, using the concept of a barbed wire America, we replace this image, Japanese people are dissatisfied with the film. This is an insult to our culture's most sacred old."
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

That's not completely a mistranslation of what I originally put into Google Translate to get Japanese.

It was along the lines of "The filmmakers stole our honorable custom of phallic tentacles and replaced the image with the American concept of barbed wire. Japanese people are dissatisfied with the film. It is an insult to our most ancient and sacred culture."

Which is racist if you're hypersensitive and have no sense of humor, and if that's true, I couldn't care less. <3
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, I totally call bullshit, since Japan didn't even receive Homecoming.

The tentacle thing I TOTALLY believe though. They have a penis festival over there.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

alone in the town wrote:
The Japanese wrote:映画製作者は、男根触手の我々の名誉あるカスタムを盗んだため、鉄条網のアメリカの概念を使って、このイメージに置き換え我々は、日本の人々は、映画に不満を持っている。これは我々の最も古い神聖な文化への侮辱である。
Someone disagrees:
Toshio Maeda wrote:映画は素晴らしいです!私はすぐに十分の変態ことがあります。触手アクションたっぷりと。
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Mephisto wrote:
alone in the town wrote:
Someone disagrees:
Toshio Maeda wrote:映画は素晴らしいです!私はすぐに十分の変態ことがあります。触手アクションたっぷりと。
"The movie is great! I may be transformed quickly enough. Plenty of tentacle action."
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128