Did James see himself through Alessa somehow?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Punches Air
Just Passing Through

Did James see himself through Alessa somehow?

Post by Punches Air »

I have a friend that is pretty much a die hard fan of the series. He said that he thinks James entered the otherworld and saw what he did in his mind through Alessa's soul/whats left of her power if any. I remember also I read on the Silent Hill Wiki that part of Alessa's soul or whatever possibly fused with the town or something like that.

Was it because of Alessa in the first place that otherworld even exists? I heard somewhere that otherworld didn't really happen much untill Silent hill 1 , (or origins) for that matter. Could some part of Alessa's soul if it is infused with Silent Hill be testing/punishing james for what he did? Or anyone else that enters the town for that matter through their own subconsious.

Just want to hear your thoughts on this, I find it pretty interesting to say the least.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Re: Did James see himself through Alessa somehow?

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I think that the powers within the town which allowed James to see manifistations of his subconscious where there before the Cult even existed, way back when the Native Americans lived in the area, hence the area being called a "sacred place". I think it could be cool for in the last game of the series to use those old powers of the town to finish off the evil cult. In a way you do that in the first game, as you are only able to find Alessa and Cheryl in the Otherworld, which is created my the manifistations of Alessa's subconscious, and you defeat the Cult (for 17 years).
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

SH1 created the Otherworld for the next games. There probably wasn't an otherworld before that.

But, Tom Waltz is writing the comic and the new main series Silent Hill 8 game, and there are monsters in the comic, which takes place way before SH1, so I'm sure he'll establish some sort of canon for us to drool over when the comic series and the game release.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I really don't like the idea that something as powerful as the Otherworld was created in SH1. I don't feel that what James went through should be because of the events in SH1. There were several hints that the town had certain "powers" far before the events of SH1. Even if the Otherworld wasn't created until SH1, strange circumstances had certainly already occurred there. Furthermore, there seem to be mulitple kinds of Otherworlds. For James, once you see the Otherworld transition in the hospital, things don't really fully switch back until you get to the Hotel, in a way the Prison and the Labyrith both feel like Otherworld areas even without a transition. His Otherworlds are less obvious than the ones in SH1 and SH3, the shift is less instant and powerful. The Otherworld shifts in SH1 may well be the most powerful ones up to that point in history, but to an extent I'm sure that they had happened before.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Silent Hill 1 and 2 aren't really related at all. Why would James see himself through someone he's never met? He would have said something about it like an out-of-body experience or mention someone that she knew or feelings she had. This just doesn't make sense.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I really don't like the idea that something as powerful as the Otherworld was created in SH1. I don't feel that what James went through should be because of the events in SH1. There were several hints that the town had certain "powers" far before the events of SH1. Even if the Otherworld wasn't created until SH1, strange circumstances had certainly already occurred there. Furthermore, there seem to be mulitple kinds of Otherworlds.
It doesn't really matter. The Otherworld exists because of Alessa. There was always a power in Silent Hill, and she twisted it into something new.

No, though, the Otherworld is not Alessa's "soul" and James isn't interacting with it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

^^^Yeah...i agree and actually SH1 was the only game where the otherworld was actually trying invade our reality because of Alessa.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I wasn't really trying to invade reality. It was just consuming the Foggy World (as much as you can say the two are different worlds). Harry seems to have been under the impression that the Foggy World was our world to some extent.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SHF

Post by SHF »

alessa has absolutely nothing 2 do with SH2
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

AuraTwilight wrote:
I really don't like the idea that something as powerful as the Otherworld was created in SH1. I don't feel that what James went through should be because of the events in SH1. There were several hints that the town had certain "powers" far before the events of SH1. Even if the Otherworld wasn't created until SH1, strange circumstances had certainly already occurred there. Furthermore, there seem to be mulitple kinds of Otherworlds.
It doesn't really matter. The Otherworld exists because of Alessa. There was always a power in Silent Hill, and she twisted it into something new.

No, though, the Otherworld is not Alessa's "soul" and James isn't interacting with it.

This. She indirectly caused every Silent Hill game after Silent Hill 1 through her pain and powers twisting the town's energy into the Otherworld. While Silent Hill 2 had nothing to do with Alessa herself, it was indirectly caused by her.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Yuki wrote: This. She indirectly caused every Silent Hill game after Silent Hill 1 through her pain and powers twisting the town's energy into the Otherworld. While Silent Hill 2 had nothing to do with Alessa herself, it was indirectly caused by her.
Except Silent Hill 4, considering the world there was completely Walter's creation through his own power, and had nothing to do with Silent hill itself (except, of course one of the locales and Walter's history), nor Alessa's Otherworld.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
SHF

Post by SHF »

in silent hill 2, alessa has no influence. the entire game is of james persective, memories and subconscious.
timboslice
Just Passing Through

Post by timboslice »

silent hill as a "sacred place" shows that there was definatly something (otherworld?) around long before SH1 - however, as stated by the creators, all of the evil of the town (murders, "freak accidents". the cult, etc..) perverted the town's power - Alessa was just another in a long line - however, that doesn't mean she wasn't significant. She definatly left her influence on the town (and its otherworld).

but as for her connection to James...there is none, at least none confirmed (and really nothing to suggest one, unless you would count SH2's connection to the order a connection to Alessa...but that would be stretching it...)

James saw the otherworld as of result of his evil influence on the town.
This is a journey of angst, fear, guilt, anxiety
-Rob Zombie
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

paladin181 wrote:
Yuki wrote: This. She indirectly caused every Silent Hill game after Silent Hill 1 through her pain and powers twisting the town's energy into the Otherworld. While Silent Hill 2 had nothing to do with Alessa herself, it was indirectly caused by her.
Except Silent Hill 4, considering the world there was completely Walter's creation through his own power, and had nothing to do with Silent hill itself (except, of course one of the locales and Walter's history), nor Alessa's Otherworld.

Are you sure? I thought that the Otherworld was manifesting itself through the locations that you visit, unless I'm mistaken.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No, they're physically connected by a staircase, even. They're complete fabrications constructed from Walter's unreliable memories.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

The Otherworlds in Silent Hill are oftentimes very personalized. This theory would mean that Alessa created Eddie's and Angela's Otherworlds too.
SHF

Post by SHF »

james angela and eddie are in their own. the game widely proves this. even in the rebirth ending.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Yuki wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:

This. She indirectly caused every Silent Hill game after Silent Hill 1 through her pain and powers twisting the town's energy into the Otherworld. While Silent Hill 2 had nothing to do with Alessa herself, it was indirectly caused by her.
Origins and Homecoming qualify this somewhat. The Otherworld seems to be a creation from the combination of Travis' personal demons (his mother's delusion of a mirror world he comes to subconsciously fear exists), which manifests as Alessa is manifesting a reality shift during the immolation ceremony. He is sort of by proxy swept into Alessa's nightmare, and her demons and his merge. Alessa then is able to borrow the concept of the Otherworld for her own purposes.

Then Homecoming strongly suggests that everything strange in the SH series is born out of the town's innate ability to manifest strongly held delusions, on a minor scale prior to SH1 and then far amplified post-SH1 by the power of the shared beliefs of the Cult Members. Similar to how the Shepherd's Glen Order makes their own doomsday prophecy come true through their shared delusions, the belief in Alessa's power by the Silent Hill Order grants her abilities on this scale.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"