Father of God (spoilers)

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Father of God (spoilers)

Post by Burning Man »

This is just one of my speculations. This isn't one of my essays that attempts to explain as thorough as possible. But, hopefully, it will prove interesting nevertheless. As always, spoilers for all games. Do not complain.

I have been rather curious about the notion of the Man who was partly responsible for birthing the God with the Woman, as depicted in the myth paintings that you see in the oratory of the church. We've had two games, Silent Hill and Silent Hill 3, that dealt with the Mother of God side of the story, but never was the Father of God side explained. As a matter of fact, the idea of the Man seemed largely irrelevant. If Dahlia could impregnate the Holy Woman through magic, what exactly was the point with the Man, that is the Father of God?

It's rather difficult to imagine that the God was conceived by biological means. That is, for the lack of a better way of phrasing it, I don't think the Man had sex with the Woman that got her pregnant with the God. No, the idea of being impregnated with God should have been devised by another way.

Speaking of Dahlia's magic to impregnate Alessa, I had began to wonder if the Father of God is actually referred to as the Conjurer. In Silent Hill 4 -The Room-, Walter Sullivan was the one Conjurer to summon the God through the 21 Sacraments.

Such an assumption seems to have merit when considering the fact that you find a memo in Wish House asking for the progress of Walter and if Alessa had been found yet. It seemed to me that as long as God was born, it didn't matter which way they summoned her. That is, as we're inferring that the memo was written by someone in the Sect of Valtiel (Jimmy Stone to George Rosten, most likely), the notion of which way the correct way is to birth God would be unnecessary. The Sect of Valtiel would have only needed to focus on Walter's progress as he becomes the conjurer.

This suggests to me that perhaps the cult wanted both Walter Sullivan as the Conjurer and Alessa Gillespie as the Holy Woman. The Conjurer would, instead of using the Mother Stone, use the Holy Woman to descend God. Only when this happens would God truly be born.

We've fought a form of God several times throughout the series, and each one of them was defeatable. This has been a means of confusion to those who thought that God would have had to be almighty, instead only too weak to be defeated by a mere mortal. People have suggested that this was the side-effect of the Aglaophotis or that she was born from the wrong vessel. Although these are likely possibilities, we also have to consider that in the Bad endings of Silent Hill, Harry defeated Alessa/incubator whom hadn't been subjected to the red liquid nor born from the wrong vessel. Had the birthing process been incorrect from the start?

There is of course one other thing that might suggest that the Conjurer is acting in part of the Man. The myth painting tells us that the Man offered a snake to the Sun while the Woman offered reed. When Walter performs the Ritual of Liberation (or Holy Assumption), he uses the artifacts of the White Oil, Black Cup and 10 Hearts of those who have sinned. Now, in the context of the Silent Hill series, the snake is mentioned one other time besides the myth painting. And that is the Obsidian Goblet from Silent Hill 2.

If this is true, we can also speculate the reason behind the opposition that went between the Sect of Holy Woman and the Sect of Holy Mother: the Sect of Holy Woman believes that the Woman is more important (the Man was just a Conjurer and any woman can be a Conjurer assuming that she were taught the proper lessons), where as the Sect of Holy Mother believes that the Man is more important (the Woman was only a vessel, and anything, even a stone can be used as a vessel; this is even suggested in Play Novel). Is this what the opposition was all about? Consider that Dahlia (a woman) was the head priestess of her faction, who used to kidnap girls, and that the priests that were associated with the Sect of Holy Mother were all male. Certainly, the children that were mentioned to have lived in Wish House (which was associated with the Sect of Holy Mother, by the way), were all male as well (Walter himself, Bob, John, and also Sharon Blake's son).

Just something to think about.
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

:shock: ........don't worry....I'm thinking............. :shock:
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
amphreded

Post by amphreded »

Interesting thing you brought up.
Personally, I believe 'faith' makes the Mother pregnants.
By consuming one self in faith, the God is able to transcend into the woman's womb. Thus, it is God himself who is the Father.

I'll put more thoughts later and post it here.
[size=84][b]QUICKLINKS | [/size][size=75][url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2362]SH1[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2313]SH2[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2327]SH3[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=43347#43347]SH4[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17936]SH:H[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=391270#391270]SH:O[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=85043#85043]SHMovie[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12563]SHGeneral[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/faq.php]FAQs[/url][/size][/b]
[size=84][color=grey][i]

[/size][/color][/i]
white rabbit
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by white rabbit »

What about all the blood????
Last edited by white rabbit on 13 Mar 2006, edited 1 time in total.
"My days of taking you serious are close to a middle." - Firefly
[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/iczerfae/All_SHf.jpg[/img]
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Pychos-with-guns Fairy wrote:What about all the blood????
What are you talking about?
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Excellent theory, Burning Man. Quite possibly the most intelligent thing I've read all day. Thank you for posting it. :)

And I reaaaally like the idea that all three sects' means of conjuring/bringing God to life are needed in order for their God to truly be born. I wonder if the members of the Valtiel Sect realized this, and became mediators because of it? Or did both Sects know it all along and dislike how they needed the other?
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Very interesting read; thanks for posting this.
Now I can't stop wondering what it would really take for a truly all-powerful God to be birthed through the rituals of the cult.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Monobrow and I have already far discussed this...We just haven't unleashed our full theory onto this world just yet.

Here are some notes we took a few days ago:

We believe Valtiel's sect has a purpose to summon the valet of God to plant the seed.
Valtiel plants the seeds and tends the trees. He is the gardener and gatekeeper of the mother.
The Taskmaster.

Alessa was planted with this seed by Valtiel.
Walter Sullivan was possessed by Valtiel to carry the seed.
They were created so that one may accompany the other.
The Father and the Mother of God

Alessa, through pain become two.
Walter, through pain, become two.
To be whole, Alessa becomes one. Walter does this as well, two seperate times.

Walter plants the seed within Eileen. Eileen is overtaken and dies and God is born/descends as Room 302, Walter's vision of paradise.

Walter's world is the world of "nowhere".
Alessa manifested nowhere to aid Harry in helping her with her task and needs.
Walter manifested nowhere to aid him in destroying his adversaries and discovering the Receiver of Wisdom.
Each lured outsiders into these worlds with a purpose

Alessa wanted to destroy God(mother)
Walter wanted to bring God(mother)
white rabbit
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by white rabbit »

Burning Man wrote:
Pychos-with-guns Fairy wrote:What about all the blood????
What are you talking about?
:( nevermind, i bow to the face of wisdom
"My days of taking you serious are close to a middle." - Firefly
[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/iczerfae/All_SHf.jpg[/img]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Fascinating! I have nothing to add but praise, unfortunately.
Arthemesic

Post by Arthemesic »

The theory is pure genius!

I'm thinking. The sect(s) had their own 'Bible' (a heavily altered, if not a completely renown one), and has all that Mother -stuff.

Now this theory of yours makes me see how much it would have similar with
the real Bible, and the Gospel of how Jesus was born. Virgin Mary was impregnated by Holy Spirit, who is a part of God (Along with Father and Son).

Interesting.
Victory Of The Soul, Triumph Over Ordeal
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I can't believe I haven't seen this before, but I agree with this 100%. I've actually been thinking about this for the better part of the week.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Babymordred121
Just Passing Through

Re: Father of God (spoilers)

Post by Babymordred121 »

This is awesome! I've been reading about the beliefs of the Order for a while, and this whole thing seems to make perfect sense to me.

Even in the Order's mythology they lay out a pretty clear separation between God's body and soul. In the myth as I know it, God was only stopped when her own body wore out.

It could be that the sect of the Holy Woman is needed to birth the physical body capable of containing god's essence, while the sect of the Holy Mother is needed to summon up God's spirit. This could explain why the different versions of God that are fought in the game act like normal, mindless monsters; they were just material bodies lacking a guiding intellect i.e. God's spirit.

Brilliant work you've got there! Kudos!
"I serve only ONE masta: DAAKNESS" - Lord Durant, Swashbuckler
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Both burning man and anonymous have put deep thought into this. Amazing theories and they make sense....i kinda knew that there was always a missing element of when the god was born, because it can still be defeated, and there was always a crucial ingredient that was missed due to the actions of the player throwing a monkey wrench into the overall equation.

As far as the mother and father of god stuff goes, i was familiar with it, but not to the point of how it was broken down here....good stuff gentlemen.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

This is so old, but this is such a gooooooood read :) Very well written. I like the two theories posted here. Now I need my brain to work so I can actually contribute to the thread. How come this only has 14 posts?
Noble Kale
Just Passing Through

Post by Noble Kale »

I never considered the importance of the father of God. Thank you for these theories. They make perfect sense to me.
This is the year when hope fails you
When the test subjects run the experiments