Was *Your* Ending Evaluation Accurate?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Numb Body01
Historical Society Historian

Post by Numb Body01 »

You all have to remember that a lot of the phrases and comments used my Dr. K, and indeed psychologists, could apply to many (and will be interpreted in such a way also).
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Komov
Just Passing Through

Post by Komov »

It's funny how I played the game two times with almost similar answers to the therapy questions, and Dr. K never told me any "bad in bed" stuff. Why it's funny? Because I'm 34 year-old, and had sex only once in my life. Dunno, maybe I was a beast that one time... :?
[i]"It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others."
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."[/i]
SilentHillSurvivor

Post by SilentHillSurvivor »

No my ending evaluation was not accurate, I'm too much of a mix between all of the different answers/endings to be evaluated by that game. Some of the things written down can apply to me and indeed everyone though.
BloodRedScarlet
Just Passing Through

Post by BloodRedScarlet »

Roorii wrote:Why pay 1000's for therapy when you can just get this game?
I think this game may be a break-through in psychology. What the hell do we need real therapists for? :roll:

Although, I wouldn't mind going to therapy provided my therapist is Dr. Kauffman. :wink:
[color=pink]I know. [u]I know[/u].
There's [b]something[/b] I've forgotten
Like [i]a time[/i], [i]a place[/i]...?
A [i][b]shattered memory[/b][/i].[/color]
[img]http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae216/ScarletMetal/Dahliabedcopy.jpg[/img]
Komov
Just Passing Through

Post by Komov »

Something weird... Just finished my third playthrough, this time I gave the completely opposite answers to all the therapy questions, and got exactly the same evaluation as the previous two times... Does the evaluation changes at all, or does the game keep showing the first one you got over and over again?! :? Do I have to create another file to get a different assessment? Or perhaps the game judges not that much from the answers, but more from the playing style?... :shock:
[i]"It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others."
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

Did you play the game the same way? That's usually the real deciding factor.
Thanatos
Just Passing Through

Post by Thanatos »

On my second playthrough it was the other way around. I gave the same answers and played the game like in my first playthrough. But I got other messages, photos and character models. It`s weird....
Komov
Just Passing Through

Post by Komov »

Apocali wrote:Did you play the game the same way? That's usually the real deciding factor.
Yes, I did. But still... :shock:
Siaye
Just Passing Through

Post by Siaye »

Everything excpet for me being a neat and tidy person.
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

Most of it was right.
The Wanderer
Just Passing Through

Post by The Wanderer »

Mine was, being similar to the topic creator. Nice, take pride in being so, a "romantic", and I think he said I'm fearful of being criticized. The game said I'm lousy in bed, too.
Thanatos
Just Passing Through

Post by Thanatos »

I don`t know if this is the right thread, but..... after my last playthrough I have to say that I don`t think any longer, that there is some kind of system behind the game. Instead I tend to think that it`s all just random.

I played SM on the wii of a friend. My (honest) answers to Kauffmann and my playstyle seemed to move the game towards the "Wicked and weak"-ending (I got the Swat-Cybil, the bony monsters and the winter coat). But in the end I got the "Love lost"-ending and Cybil yelled at her dad and let go of him (despite I hadn`t found all mementos, but most of them). My evaluation described me as an artist and thinker, who isn`t into family at all, which was spot on. (And it didn`t say, that i was lousy in bed ;) )

Then I started another playthrough on MY wii to see, if anything would change despite the same playstyle and giving the same answers. And it did. Though I did absolutely everything exactly like in the other playthrough, I got other persons (nice Cybil), other cutscenes, surroundings, messages, photos, clothes etc. The monsters were a mixture of the "Love lost" and the "Wicked and Weak"-monster-models.

And in the end, I was baffled. Despite having collected EVERY memento, Cheryl didn`t let go of Harry, hugged him and stayed in her fantasy world

BUT

ALSO went out of the clinic and walked away with Dahlia!!!!!!!!!

And again, I got the "Lost love"-ending. My evaluation described me as a trustworthy person, who deeply cares about family and relationships and was lousy in bed. WHAT THE FUCK?!

Now that just doesn`t make any sense. I really can`t see a system in this any more, it`s just a connecting of random chosen game pieces. I hate to think that, but......
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I really doubt it's random. Someone in another thread pulled out some of the data, and though we don't fully understand it yet, it does seem to work by flag-triggering and not random selection. Just because the pattern is too complex to see doesn't mean one isn't present.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Thanatos
Just Passing Through

Post by Thanatos »

I hope you`re right, Aura.
I love Shattered Memories with a passion, so it would be a bummer if it was just random.

Let`s hope that there will be a light at the end of the tunnel in the near future.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, if it WAS random, that'd make the creators liars, and I doubt that. That,and there's too much correlation and pattern for it to be random. Most likely, it seemed haphazard because you gave a lot of answers that contradicted each other, or something weird like that.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Otakuluna13
Just Passing Through

Re: Was *Your* Ending Evaluation Accurate?

Post by Otakuluna13 »

Well, it was actually more accurate in my second try then my first. Both times I got the Sleaze and Sirens ending.
----------Ɖσ Ɩ ℓσσκ ℓικɛ αи Δиɢɛℓ σғ Ĵʋƨтιcɛ тσ ʏσʋ?-----------
Follow me, follow me, fa-la-la-la-la-la....
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

The thing is, it mas as well be random. A game like this can't really psychologically profile a person, so what they've done instead is mimic it by using a sort of fortune teller technique. That is, a lot of the game's evaluation is just vague things that can apply to a lot of people. As such, the evaluation shouldn't really be called "accurate," even if it appears to be.

I'm sure it's not random, but probably all of the conclusions are based on very minor superficial choices, like whether you looked at a certain poster or something like that. Since those connections (and any the game could possibly make) are meaningless, then it may as well actually be random. So it's really not wrong for someone to call them random.

Does this make the creators liars? Yes, in a way... you have to remember that the whole concept of "psychological profiling" is a deceptive idea. It only works on the player because they are told it is working. If they weren't explicitly told by the game that they were being profiled, they would have no idea. Of course, I don't have any problem with this sort of deception, I think it's a rather clever gimmick.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

It's not entirely random though. A lot of your actions (like closing cabinets after you're done or looking at specific things for longer periods of time) are generally small reflections of the type of person you are. IF you try to game the system by altering your normal behavior, it's pointless. But if you were to play the game as you would do if YOU were doing it, and don't intentionally change your behaviors, it is somewhat accurate, even if it takes the horoscope/fortune cookie route.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

I agree that the system isn't as clever as it wants you to think, since at the end of the day, it is based on certain actions and how you answer some of the questions and it's pre-programmed to give you a certain outcome, and even tho....to me it does feel random unless you answer some of the obvious drinking questions...overall it was a refreshing new concept and take on the series.

To try and really break it down is kinda unfair since it is after all pre-programmed to give you a certain outcome...it's not really reading your mind or studying you..it's a gimmick...
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

paladin181 wrote:It's not entirely random though. A lot of your actions (like closing cabinets after you're done or looking at specific things for longer periods of time) are generally small reflections of the type of person you are. IF you try to game the system by altering your normal behavior, it's pointless. But if you were to play the game as you would do if YOU were doing it, and don't intentionally change your behaviors, it is somewhat accurate, even if it takes the horoscope/fortune cookie route.
Well, like I said it may not be technically random, but in a real sense it is. Minor actions like closing cabinets and staring at certain things hardly reflect the type of person you are. People are too complicated to be easily categorized like that. For example... if you stare at a picture of a naked woman, is it for scatalogical reasons, or because something about the artwork catches your eye, or because you are offended, or because you dropped the controller? Could be any of those reasons. Thus, to draw any "accurate" conclusions from it is meaningless.

And remember that the horoscope/fortune cookie route works in spite of those predictions being meaningless. The point is that it works because it is vague but specific sounding. It could very well be random, and it would still work.

I'm not necessarily criticizing it, I think it's a cool gimmick. But it is just a gimmick. A game can't actually psychologically profile you, that's just silly. It's not even easy for psychologists to do that.