Beyond the flaming staircase... *possible spoilers*

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Mustang
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Mustang »

Well at the end she tells us she's in her own hell. To me the stairs seem never ending which means she's stuck climbing the stairs in her own hell possibly forever.
Dogg Thang
Just Passing Through

Post by Dogg Thang »

Sergiy wrote:Sometimes i think Angela couldnt end it because of James.
When James came in to save Angela from "daddy" HE killed it, not her, therefore screwing her escape route.
That must have been her final encounter as James fought his reason, Angela shoud have either killed it, or died trying.

I know we see abstract daddys later, but those are just hints that angela is nearby and probbably an attempt to make the game more challanging.

EDIT: Think of the newspaper/tape similarity, James finds the newspaper shortly before encountering angela, im thinking angela could have had the same sort of amnesia, until she found the article and was forced to fight her "Reason"
Yep, I agree with your take on it. Whether James killing the daddy or not ends things for Angela, or has her trapped in a staircase hell, I'm not so sure. Any protagonist we have played as undergoes a fairly lengthy journey with some sort of major resolution.

I've always felt it was exactly the same for Angela. We're only getting tiny parts of her journey. When we see her on the staircase (if my memory serves me correctly - been a long time since I played it), she seems to have gone as far as she is capable of going. You could speculate that the stairs are then neverending but I like to think she had much more ahead of her and she would have eventually confronted what she needed to confront, without James, entirely on her own. Silent Hill has a way of funnelling people to where they need (but don't always want) to go.

Angela is clearly no fighter. She's no Heather. And James' involvement probably didn't help. But I think she'd get to where she needs to be eventually.

I'm not even sure the town would have allowed her to commit suicide.
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

It was possibly a very clever idea of story, and game design.
Maybe if Team silent hadnt given up on SH they would have continued her story.
Dogg Thang
Just Passing Through

Post by Dogg Thang »

Yes, there could have very well been a game there with Angela as the protagonist and a flaming/burnt Otherworld. Might have been very cool. Hot. Whatever.
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

Mustang wrote:Well at the end she tells us she's in her own hell. To me the stairs seem never ending which means she's stuck climbing the stairs in her own hell possibly forever.
Although she never said she's "in her own hell". She only said "for me, it's always like that", which has been heavily debated what she was referring to in a few other threads. Even if you agree that what she was referring to was fire, seeing fire is still not equal to hell.

For any other games, the wording of what the characters said might not matter as much, but for SH2, one twisted word can change the whole meaning of a theory/story. I have the most fun reading some of the theory threads in this forum for years... once in a while (like recently), I'll come back and revisit them just to get myself all confused again hahaha :oops:

Sergiy and DoggThang:

To me, I don't think the fact that James killed the Ideal Daddy would cause Angela not to be able to save herself. First of all, creatures that created by Silenthill are not really "dead", an example will be Maria. She clearly "died" once and she came back as if nothing had happened. If you believe that Maria first death was to let James realized what he did to Mary, then the fact that the Ideal Daddy got killed is also just an incident to confront Angela against her own problem. Secondly, as some of the people suggested in this thread, as Ideal Daddy is actually a monster that James saw, it doesn't necessary means that Angela saw the same thing, as the monster can be a projection of what James is confronting, which is different than Angela. Hence, the boss fight could be meant for James all along, Angela's fight has not yet happened. Finally, as Angela has never come to term with her own problem (throughout the SH2 story, we have yet to see her able to deal with the core issue of her problem and finally come to the sense of who she really was), I doubt that she was ready for a "final boss" fight with her father.
Dogg Thang
Just Passing Through

Post by Dogg Thang »

Yep, you make very good points, Sorata, and I totally agree with you on your last paragraph.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Sergiy wrote:Sometimes i think Angela couldnt end it because of James.
When James came in to save Angela from "daddy" HE killed it, not her, therefore screwing her escape route.
That must have been her final encounter as James fought his reason, Angela shoud have either killed it, or died trying.

I know we see abstract daddys later, but those are just hints that angela is nearby and probbably an attempt to make the game more challanging.

EDIT: Think of the newspaper/tape similarity, James finds the newspaper shortly before encountering angela, im thinking angela could have had the same sort of amnesia, until she found the article and was forced to fight her "Reason"
Angela was not supposed to kill "it" (also, she sees it as her actual father). Killing him again would only taker her deeper to her hell, because she cant accept her life (or whatever) if she just continues to kill her father
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

In fact killing him again she could have realized why she did it. And what she avioded by doing so.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>(also, she sees it as her actual father)
There's no evidence of this.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SHF

Post by SHF »

For all we know, she could of been hallucinating her father attacking her in that room, only imagining it occuring.
Remember, this encounter happens within james labrinth, which isnt real. So we dont know where james really is, or even what room angela and him are in. Its all fabricated. For all we know, he never even entered the Historical Society.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

helldescent wrote:For all we know, she could of been hallucinating her father attacking her in that room, only imagining it occuring.
Remember, this encounter happens within james labrinth, which isnt real. So we dont know where james really is, or even what room angela and him are in. Its all fabricated. For all we know, he never even entered the Historical Society.
Er, I was under the impression that the Historical Society itself is real and that James entered it, but once he begins going lower, THAT is the part that is possibly unreal.
SHF

Post by SHF »

what made me think it was fake was that the display cases were broken and that huge hole in the wall where he goes downward, wasnt real.
In fact where does james end up after he jumps down his grave?
HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

Post by HarleyQuinnofHate »

I think in his labyrinth, well the beginning of it, I know there is a morgue and an elevator and a few more holes.
SHF

Post by SHF »

yeah there are those. i think he goes through the prison first ( somehow) and descends down to his labryinth. but i forget if he ends up in the butchershop right after the labryinth, or if he wakes up in the hospital,?
HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

Post by HarleyQuinnofHate »

The butcher shop, where you find the great knife? That is kind of in the middle of the labyrinth.

Hospital? I don;t remember that part.

Here is part of a Let's Play where the jumping starts, I couldn't find it, then again, I didn't look too hard. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/user/l0rdvega?bl ... DtQl6DhUjc
SHF

Post by SHF »

so this is after the labrynth right?
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

helldescent wrote:what made me think it was fake was that the display cases were broken and that huge hole in the wall where he goes downward, wasnt real.
In fact where does james end up after he jumps down his grave?
The huge hole in the wall isn't real. James ends up in Eddie's Freezing otherworld after he jumps down the hole.
helldescent wrote:yeah there are those. i think he goes through the prison first ( somehow) and descends down to his labryinth. but i forget if he ends up in the butchershop right after the labryinth, or if he wakes up in the hospital,?
I'm very confused bny this.

He goes through the prison, and descends into the labyrinth (though the prison was just a manifestation). The butcher shop, as in, Pyramid Head's lair? He doesn't wake up in the hospital, but he escapes the labyrinth. That's where my memory blends in with everything. Hope this helps, helldescent :)
SHF

Post by SHF »

ok, well so he ends up in eddies freezer world. Im just trying to figure out exactly how the hell he got to that freezer. where is it located? unless its not real either.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's not real. After James goes down the stairs of the Historical Society, he leaves any sense of reality as it correlates to Silent Hill. One could argue that he stays in this unreality for the rest of the game, as Lakeview Hotel burned down several years ago.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SHF

Post by SHF »

but remember he sees the real hotel after i think the tape. so therefore hes in the real place.