(PC) Sound patch not installing

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Jake250
Just Passing Through

(PC) Sound patch not installing

Post by Jake250 »

I really apologize if this isn't the right place to ask this, but this is the only Silent Hill forum I know with any activity and there are no sections for technical questions. So I'll dare and ask.

I simply installed SH2 on my computer, and I got the sound looping glitch. I had this before, but simply installing the patch worked, but now it doesn't. When I try to install the patch, it says..

"Skipped: sh2pc.exe"

And says its "installed". But it didn't do anything, and the sound bug is still here and killing the game.

Other than 2 post in an absolutely weird language that didn't tell anything when translated, I can't find absolutely any information about this... I'm desperate for help here. Heck, if someone could give me the patched .exe, I'd love them for all eternity (but I don't know if its "legal" to do so... but I don't see how it would be wrong).

I really hope anyone can help here. Thanks.
silenthell88
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by silenthell88 »

If you are using a cracked exe then it will probably not work. If it's the original file then I don't know why. Maybe it's your version of Windows? I use XP still with no problems. I also have a soundcard which helps fix gaming sound issues. It fixed GTA San Andreas & SH2. I'd advise buying a cheap Audigy 2, or some soundcard anyway.

One last thing I'll throw out there that probably won't help much, but sometimes does.

Try turning down hardware acceleration.
Jake250
Just Passing Through

Post by Jake250 »

silenthell88 wrote:Try turning down hardware acceleration.
Done that already, no change. Tried compatibility modes too.

I'm sorry, I forgot to say I am using windows XP, SP2. The exe is not cracked, its a fresh install and it fails to work.
silenthell88

Post by silenthell88 »

Jake250 wrote:
silenthell88 wrote:Try turning down hardware acceleration.
Done that already, no change. Tried compatibility modes too.

I'm sorry, I forgot to say I am using windows XP, SP2. The exe is not cracked, its a fresh install and it fails to work.
ok i googled this for more info

i got 1 more idea:

The patch might be for Americans only. If you have the European version of the game then this might be the problem. Sorry, I can't help much more.
Jake250
Just Passing Through

Post by Jake250 »

I have no idea how to tell if its the EU version, but it is Director's Cut. But I thought that was the only version for PC.
silenthell88

Post by silenthell88 »

Jake250 wrote:I have no idea how to tell if its the EU version, but it is Director's Cut. But I thought that was the only version for PC.
I believe you have the European version. That must be the problem then. wew! haha
Jake250
Just Passing Through

Post by Jake250 »

Well, if thats the problem, I don't see any EU patch around... which means I'm stuck with that sound bug? But that doesn't even make any sense, because I believed I fixed it before... or I just think I did.

I can't play like that, though :/
Ratiocinator
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ratiocinator »

Hi Jake, a few things:

The sound patch ONLY works on US SH2 PC copies.

To determine which version you have go here:
http://www.igotaletter.com/gameinfo/rel ... splatforms

If you have confirmed your version is the US copy and installed the sound patch and you still have various issues it may be a graphics cards issue. Does your computer use NVidia as its graphics card? If so, download the NVidia patch, too. It fixed various things along with, believe it or not, additional sound errors.

You can find the patches and other official downloads here:
http://www.igotaletter.com/media/downloads/
Last edited by Ratiocinator on 25 Oct 2009, edited 1 time in total.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

If I remember correctly the Nvidia patch only fixes the missing cutscene bug. And even then, it doesn't seem to work with the more recent Nvidia drivers - as I found out much to my annoyance recently, I now have to play SH2 on my old ATI driven pc.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Ratiocinator
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ratiocinator »

Yep, that's true. Although I didn't know how old his PC/video card is so I wanted to cover all bases. What was weird is that on my old PC the sound patch didn't fully fix audio bugs but after installing the NVidia patch it was all fixed.

Unrelated: Love your avatar, stopped_clock. Kid Chameleon was addictive as it was incredibly hard.
Jake250
Just Passing Through

Post by Jake250 »

Well, I have the EU version.

Bummer.

I already had that other fix. But it doesn't fix the most annoying audio looping problem.

I got a 8500 GT card, by the way.

Guess I'll try to buy the US version from ebay or somewhere.
Ravager
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Ravager »

I had the EU version aswell and this problem, after days of searching and messing around I had no luck. I had a hard time getting it to work in the first place but there wasn't anything I could do about the sound looping.
:(
DmxDex
Just Passing Through

Re: (PC) Sound patch not installing

Post by DmxDex »

I know this is old but another possiblity is to set the EXE'S affinity to use 1 cpu if your on a dual. Problem i have is that i set the sound to 7.1 in the options and save. When i exit the game it has defaulted to stereo. I have the EU version. My game is using hardware sound for my asus xonar.
Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

This thread is over a yr. dead. The original poster hasn't logged in since November 1st, of last yr. Don't waste your time necrobumping to answer dead threads, please.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Seriously, just ditch the PC version altogether and buy the Xbox version or PS2. The consols sell pretty darn cheap these days so it's not too big of a hassle to pick one up if you don't have one already.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Do you guys just like, not read my posts at all? I said this thread is dead. Didn't think I'd have to pull the ol' lock-the-thread-to-stop-people-from-continuing-to-necrobump, but alas!